User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 95

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    690

    Default

    I'm at no means an expert, but I have read a little bit about the occupation. From what I seem to have gathered it doesn't appear like there's much one to one with just an undergrad in social work. I think maybe it's possible that you could work for just one wealthy individual and be their care taker; but other than that I think you usually work with a lot of different people. However, if you mean that you get to have one to one with more than just one person, then I think there's plenty of that. But even then, I don't think there's much counseling. Usually it seems more like taking care of them physically. I think the more mental counseling roles would go to those who have a masters in social work, at the least. Even then, I would think those who do have a masters in social work would still be trumped by those with masters in nursing and even more so people with doctors in clinical psychology. You may want to give those two options a look into, if you're really enthralled with the idea of one to one counseling. Like I said, I think those with doctors in clinical psychology would be at the top of the food chain (They cannot prescribe medication, except for in two states currently, so you would be limited to just counseling), however, be warned that psychology is highly competitive. Currently it's the most popular undergrad major, meaning that it has the highest number of people currently taking psychology as their undergrad major. Therefore, grad school for psychology is extremely competitive, from what I've read you pretty much need a 3.5+ and undergrad research experience. So if you're looking into schools, or if you're at a school, make sure that undergrad research is offered.

    My .02
    Likes The Wailing Specter, Xann liked this post

  2. #62
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I know @Starry does this, and I am training to do fast track in this career. Is it all one-on-one counseling? I might be able to do well at that...better than dealing with the angry public.
    I have a couple friends that are social workers and very little is one on one counseling. Lots of paperwork, lots of dealing with other agencies to facilitate a care plan, lots of dealing with compliance laid out by state and federal entities.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  3. #63
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    I'm at no means an expert, but I have read a little bit about the occupation. From what I seem to have gathered it doesn't appear like there's much one to one with just an undergrad in social work. I think maybe it's possible that you could work for just one wealthy individual and be their care taker; but other than that I think you usually work with a lot of different people. However, if you mean that you get to have one to one with more than just one person, then I think there's plenty of that. But even then, I don't think there's much counseling. Usually it seems more like taking care of them physically. I think the more mental counseling roles would go to those who have a masters in social work, at the least. Even then, I would think those who do have a masters in social work would still be trumped by those with masters in nursing and even more so people with doctors in clinical psychology. You may want to give those two options a look into, if you're really enthralled with the idea of one to one counseling. Like I said, I think those with doctors in clinical psychology would be at the top of the food chain (They cannot prescribe medication, except for in two states currently, so you would be limited to just counseling), however, be warned that psychology is highly competitive. Currently it's the most popular undergrad major, meaning that it has the highest number of people currently taking psychology as their undergrad major. Therefore, grad school for psychology is extremely competitive, from what I've read you pretty much need a 3.5+ and undergrad research experience. So if you're looking into schools, or if you're at a school, make sure that undergrad research is offered.

    My .02
    I sampled nursing and found I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I think I want to go for emotional health specifically.

  4. #64
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I have a couple friends that are social workers and very little is one on one counseling. Lots of paperwork, lots of dealing with other agencies to facilitate a care plan, lots of dealing with compliance laid out by state and federal entities.

    A friend of a friend of a friend of mine is a social worker, it turns out. I'm going to get his info and see if it fits, otherwise, I'm going to look at something else.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan
    Likes gromit liked this post

  5. #65
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    I have a friend whois a social worker, he works with at-risk male adolescents and their families. But you definitely have to be an advocate to government and community agencies, there is also paperwork/documentation/etc side of all healthcare settings unfortunately.

    At my hospital, some of the social workers are involved in discharge planning, there is a LOT of organization involved there, negotiating with insurance agencies for services for the patient, getting in touch with family members, coordinating transportation, coordinating care for the person once they leave the hospital, etc, etc. It sounds AWFUL to me, like I definitely respect them and everything they do and am sort of in awe of it, but I'm pretty sure I'd last less than a week doing that.

    I think it's very rewarding for the people who do it, but it's definitely not just talking to people about their problems.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  6. #66
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,774

    Default

    why not get an LLC? i think that's what people do to be indivdual counselors. really you just need letters behind your name to be important.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes The Wailing Specter, asynartetic liked this post

  7. #67
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    Meh. It's what I'm beginning a career in. I do think perhaps being a school social worker might be the best fit out of social work careers, if any, for you. Ultimately, that is your call to make though.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  8. #68
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

    At my hospital, some of the social workers are involved in discharge planning, there is a LOT of organization involved there, negotiating with insurance agencies for services for the patient, getting in touch with family members, coordinating transportation, coordinating care for the person once they leave the hospital, etc, etc. It sounds AWFUL to me, like I definitely respect them and everything they do and am sort of in awe of it, but I'm pretty sure I'd last less than a week doing that.
    Yep, this is exactly what one of my friends does. It sounds horrible to me too and I don't think she likes it much anymore, either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  9. #69
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    one of my best friends growing up became a social worker right out of college... she was really excited about the job that she got with the city working with at risk kids

    after a year on the job she quit and took a job in a completely different field... saw her at a get together and asked why and she said that it was a combination of the paperwork and the job itself that she'd decided were going to consume her. another friend said later that she'd seen SOMETHING on the job that made her put in her two weeks notice immediately, but she wouldn't tell any of us what it was
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  10. #70
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    Meh. It's what I'm beginning a career in. I do think perhaps being a school social worker might be the best fit out of social work careers, if any, for you. Ultimately, that is your call to make though.
    I thought school social worker, though I try to say I'm not picky.
    Likes gromit liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What type is this dude?
    By NewEra in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
  2. What function is this?
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
  3. What type is this guy?
    By NewEra in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
  4. What type is this guy?
    By NewEra in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
  5. What type is this person??
    By Kirkadonna in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO