User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Stressful Do You Find Your Current Job

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - I swan into work, hi-five my coworkers and sing Disney anthems all day

1 5.88%
  • 2 - I get in early, smash a few deals, win the largest bonus and airpunch while yelling 'Fuck Yeah'

0 0%
  • 3 - I get in early, finish early, organise the office social gatherings. Love this place.

1 5.88%
  • 4 - I get in early, mess up my desk, search for stuff on craigslist, do the social rounds.

3 17.65%
  • 5 - I find reasons to go down to the archives and spend long hours there to explain my absences.

2 11.76%
  • 6 - I find ways to piss our customers off while avoiding getting fired.

1 5.88%
  • 7 - I steal the office stationary because something has to make this worthwhile.

2 11.76%
  • 8 - I spend my lunch hour sending off resumes for anything else including exotic dancing.

1 5.88%
  • 9 - Please make it stop. I sabotage my job in the hopes of being fired.

0 0%
  • 10 - I want to stab myself in the eye with a sharp implement

6 35.29%
12 Last

Default How stressful Is Your Current Job

It's no secret I'm in possibly the one job I'm entirely unsuited to. In the beginning I found little niches in the role to fill with my talents. But over time I'm just becoming more and more stressed. There is this pervasive low level stress I constantly feel from doing something I naturally suck at.

Just wondering how many other people are slowing killing themselves in careers or whether career satisfaction is actually a thing. Feel free to vote, vent or vascillate on why or why not your job is awesome or awful.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Career satisfaction is a thing, and I used to have it. Now, I am applying for a new position because my present work environment has deteriorated so much.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I think what stresses me the most is that I'm the end of line fixer/accomodator/apologist for an unwieldy logistical machine where things frequently do not go to plan. The spanner in the works phenomenon is difficult for me to deal with because I rely on routines for my sense of well being. When things go awry I *need* a few moments to myself to clear the head, the emotions and formulate a plan. It's rare that I have those few moments out of the public view.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Career satisfaction is a thing, and I used to have it. Now, I am applying for a new position because my present work environment has deteriorated so much.
    This is exactly how I feel. I used to love this job, I used to do it easily. Now I need to move on to where the satisfaction is higher. Too many variables are just beyond my control in this job and I lack the level of rapport necessary to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. It irks me that I cannot effectively make good with the bad. I need to create a job where the variables that matter are within my control or at least influence.

Logistically, I'm a machine. But in all the ways that really matter....I am not useful.

MBTI
    INFJ

I was part of the dot.com bubble. The part that burst. I helped design some of the first commercial websites and e-commerce systems, and convinced people they needed them. I often worked 100 hour weeks and took work home which drove me into the ground and early insanity.

I burned out and went rogue at around 24 years old and have spent 10 more years after basically sitting in my cave talking to myself, doing mad science and plotting world domination.

Likes Chthonic liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I work from home so it's substantially less than it would be if I was still on-site. The job itself, deadlines and such can be but those time crunches aren't too frequent. Audits, visits from governing bodies and things like that are really the only things that get stressful for me.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Most of the time I like my job, even when its stressful, although what bothers me about it generally isnt the stressors involved in it but how others dont respond well to it or handle it as I do. That bothers me and I guess that's stressful. I'm naturally relaxed, even in stressful situations, I find stressed out people hate that and consciously or unconsciously want to fuck up your calm.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I hate it less than I've hated most of my jobs, if that means anything

I can say that I enjoy some parts of my job and that I hate the fact that to get anywhere further it requires that I play politics... the type that involves sucking up to people

some contrary streak in me refuses to let me do that, so I'm pretty much stuck at the level that I'm on, because to get any farther requires the approval of my boss, and for the approval of my boss I must kiss ass

lucky for me, work also will pay for school and it will let me build my schedule around my classes, so I'm just biding my time until I graduate
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

My "job" is graduate school (organic chemisty, PhD). I don't need to say anything else.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

My current job requires patience, persistence, and brains. I love, love, love it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm over-qualified for my current job - must find one better suited to my skills within the next few months, OR I'LL GO CRAZY!!!!
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/