User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Stressful Do You Find Your Current Job

17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - I swan into work, hi-five my coworkers and sing Disney anthems all day

1 5.88%
  • 2 - I get in early, smash a few deals, win the largest bonus and airpunch while yelling 'Fuck Yeah'

0 0%
  • 3 - I get in early, finish early, organise the office social gatherings. Love this place.

1 5.88%
  • 4 - I get in early, mess up my desk, search for stuff on craigslist, do the social rounds.

3 17.65%
  • 5 - I find reasons to go down to the archives and spend long hours there to explain my absences.

2 11.76%
  • 6 - I find ways to piss our customers off while avoiding getting fired.

1 5.88%
  • 7 - I steal the office stationary because something has to make this worthwhile.

2 11.76%
  • 8 - I spend my lunch hour sending off resumes for anything else including exotic dancing.

1 5.88%
  • 9 - Please make it stop. I sabotage my job in the hopes of being fired.

0 0%
  • 10 - I want to stab myself in the eye with a sharp implement

6 35.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How stressful Is Your Current Job

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

In relation to the low pay and lack of responsibility, surprisingly high.

It's the typical retail hierarchy though; one big spider's nest of people shitting on the people below them because the spider in the middle is the one with the biggest cheque. the customers....OH LORDY LORD THE CUSTOMERS!
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Most of my jobs currently are stressful in different ways. Most of the stress is good in different ways. I'm learning a lot. I seem to be much more satisfied working multiple jobs than just one.

One thing I know for sure now, is that the main source of lack of productivity at a workplace are the assholes at work that demand everyone else be productive... rather than just inspiring others to be so by being productive themselves.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

The only part that I find minutely stressful about my job are the hours.

But then again, my job is much less stressful than my own free time. So I guess there is an oxymoron in there somewhere.

My current job is about a 4, but 9 strongly resonated for my last job.

I used to work front desk at an economy motel in the Disney area that was marketed as a boutique hotel. Throw in the entitled guests, poorly maintained property, endless blame game, micromanagement, big brother bosses, and backstabbing, and, well... There's a reason why when my coworker and I worked the late shift together, we would take turns enabling each other's bad behavior. One of us would be away from the desk for hours, but still clocked in while the other covered. He clambaked in his truck, and I got wasted at the bar.

On Sundays when management wasn't around, my coworkers and I would all get wasted together in the breskfast room, sometimes completely abandoning the front desk during slow times.

Oh, and my coworker actually got caught being clocked in when he wasn't really there. (This was when he was "working" with someone else other than me.) Management took away his shifts for a week, but otherwise kept him as a full-time employee. The place was so miserable to work at that they had trouble retaining any new hires; for example, within one month of being hired, three out of four new hires quit, and two of those walked away from their shifts. Everyone who stayed passive-aggresively abused the system as much as possible, somewhat expecting to get caught and fired. But, it never worked out that way...

Why didn't we all quit? I guess we had no self esteem. (I finally did quit.)

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    It's no secret I'm in possibly the one job I'm entirely unsuited to. In the beginning I found little niches in the role to fill with my talents. But over time I'm just becoming more and more stressed. There is this pervasive low level stress I constantly feel from doing something I naturally suck at.

Just wondering how many other people are slowing killing themselves in careers or whether career satisfaction is actually a thing. Feel free to vote, vent or vascillate on why or why not your job is awesome or awful.
    There're lots of shades of work that aren't covered in the poll. Mainly, sometimes it's cool, intellectually satisfying, and socially fulfilling; other times, it's a nightmare and I want to jump out the window. I think that's how a lot of people experience work.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

I find the whole aspect of job searching much more stressful than the job I have. My job isn't particularly that stressful (Librarian) except for the occasional difficult customer that comes in. I'm looking for another job because this is only part-time.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar

My job is stressful as fuck but I like it, and happen to be really good at it. I'm 100% commission and don't make any money unless I walk that money through the door. Some pay periods I make nothing, and others I made more than I used to make in a year. Sales is a bitch, but pays really well if you can hack it. Something like 90%+ of people who get started as Financial Advisors don't make it.

I happen to be one of the ones who did. It's the most competitive industry I've ever been in, with bosses always asking what have you done for me lately, and pitting my production levels against my co-workers. I'm actually moving to a new company that is going to fast track me to management and pay for my MBA. I'm happy to play politics or whatever it is else I have to do. I like this dog eat dog business. Stress is good for me, and I'm doing something my talents were made for.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

I'm currently in the most enjoyable job I've done yet (data analysis) which is better suited to my talents. Prior to that (in the same company), I used to work in their Complaints department, which I just really hated more and more over time. Customer service only made enjoyable when they gave me problems to solve.

My current stressors are just people - people wanting stuff done in a short space of time, and not understanding that I may have other stuff I'm doing for other people too. So I'm negotiating time. I've felt a greater need to plan my days out - I'm still not a good planner, and it can frustrate me when things don't go to plan. But I'm learning.