User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I am against this. This is setting up students to learn bad habits and not be as successful as they could be. There needs to be a balance, but going from one extreme to the other is not the answer. And this is coming from someone who almost never did their homework in elementary school.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It depends on the child.

But personally I'd be for it. I remember a teacher explaining that they thought homework was to demonstrate that a child could apply what they'd learned with concentration outside of a classroom setting.

I told her that's what play is for.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I'm curious whether the school eliminated homework simply and left it at that, or if they have a different policy or workspace intended to replace it, and what that might be.

As for type, I know I am a feeler with Ni and Se somewhere in my stack. Perhaps the type who wonders what the catch is.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm happy for them.

Now tell me when they stop forcing good and innocent children to commingle with bullies or children with bad parents.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
    As for type, I know I am a feeler with Ni and Se somewhere in my stack.
    Tell me more

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

The primary school I went to gave no homework up until year 5. At that point, the homework was then aimed at preparing students for high school (high school is years 7 to 12 here). I thought the tasks were too simple and infrequent—usually one worksheet a week—to prepare students for the study load of high school.

I think I would have benefited from a greater study load in primary school, even if it was given as optional activities. For the most part, I found primary school slow and repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I am against this. This is setting up students to learn bad habits and not be as successful as they could be. There needs to be a balance, but going from one extreme to the other is not the answer. And this is coming from someone who almost never did their homework in elementary school.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    And we see how you turned out, brushing off all that homework. I suppose if you had faithfully done it, you never would have made it into a PhD program. Does this make the preservation of elementary school homework just another elitist tactic to reduce grad school enrollment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid in grids View Post
    The primary school I went to gave no homework up until year 5. At that point, the homework was then aimed at preparing students for high school (high school is years 7 to 12 here). I thought the tasks were too simple and infrequent—usually one worksheet a week—to prepare students for the study load of high school.

I think I would have benefited from a greater study load in primary school, even if it was given as optional activities. For the most part, I found primary school slow and repetitive.
    Most students would benefit from more challenge and more real work (as opposed to busy work or make-work) in elementary school. This could easily happen, at least within the U.S. system, without requiring much of any homework. There are plenty of other ways schools can help instill good habits in students, not to mention what their families should be doing at home.

I agree that learning is too important to be confined to the school day or entrusted entirely to the educational system. After school hours can accommodate these other types of learning, including not just play and free time (which involves more learning experiences than people often imagine), but also participation in sports, music or art lessons, hobbies, visiting local sites, learning practical skills like cooking or gardening around home, doing volunteer activities, or simply reading books. Until schools are prepared to cover the full gamut of these skills and experiences (and I don't think they should even try), students need their out of school hours to participate, especially at the younger ages. The same applies to older students as well, though work there often does need to go home, simply due to the nature and extent of the assignments.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't recall getting much homework in elementary school o.O

Except there would be a "project" each term, or some terms at least in like 5th grade, which was harder than most of what I've had to do through high school and university. I didn't like those.

Idk, I don't see it as a big deal. I do like the idea though of not having to take your school work home with you. I never saw much point to school anyway.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5w0 sx
    Socionics
    duno

i completely disagree with this. when i was four, my mom was bragging to the neighbour about how smart i was. She had bought a slew of activity books from pre k up to grade 2. they were all about vocab and number patterns, and they had really cool stickers you could punch out and lick and stick on the completed worksheets. i loved it alot!!

but mom was bragging, and the neighbour had a son who she thought was a bad apple. she told my mom to limit my exposure to learning bc she had let her son get ahead with booklearning and as a result now he was messed up.

my mom, being a young, single parent, took what she said to heart. i never was allowed to do activities from that book again, amd by the time i got to kindergarden, i was way above everyone else. looking back i dont think anyone bothered to notice cuz who really learns stuff in kindergarden? but the problems started in grade one, where the teacher strted teaching us to read and write, and do simple math. i was bored out of my fucking skull and demanded they put me back in kindergarden where at least the day was my own to do as i pleased. i had learned to read years ago.

i suffered through first few months of first grade, then moved schools. teacher didnt know what to do with me so left me alone. Se ond grade was nice, by then i had read everything in the kids se tion of the library and demandd to be allowed to read other stuff. teachers said no.

by third grade, had had enough of school...it was a waste of time. teachers passed me with a++s but my mom flunked me cuz i 'never did any work'.

i rebeled the following year, got myself expelled for convincing my teachers that i really was in fourth grade. i had finally made it into a class where they taught something i didnt know. they were talking about times tables...the six times...anyway, i was in a split three four class. got expelled, moved to a private school where they had actually learnt the sixth through tenth times tables in second grade. (which i missed as i was now in third- which further frustrated me).

spent the rest of my school life (univerisity included) hating my neighbour and blaming my mom. and trying to play catchup. im extreemly smart, but i have had the ability to selfconciously study conditioned out of me. i either read and understand, or i dont. i never learnt how to succesafully 'try' at a given subject that was difficult and yet master it....though i have tried to learn to try. the sitting still and opening the book is the hardest part. but once the book is open, the knowledge is mine.

to the point where i am currently interested in computer coding and quality auditing but lack the conviction that my interest (ie ability to study) will last long enough for me to follow through with it to completion.

bottom line....never EVER deny a kid the opportunity to exersize their brain. yes, ive beem burnt bad. yes, im trying to get over it, and yes, i do believe that school s more a babysitting service than a 'your going to need this and that fact inyour head in order to make logic out of adulthood. but even so....denying knowledge is a cruel thing....especially when it is done in the name of 'preserving childhood'.

p.s. i have made up for this a bit. each year or two i take up a new summer project. one year was pnysics, one was astronomy, one was indonesian and arabic. and now im pursuing computer science. but the past few subjects, while i understand what i know perfectly well, and it wasnt hard, they dont really interest me enough to justify the time it takes to think through the logic that is coded in the print. being the linguist i am, i cant just look at a bunch of symbols and see 2+2 equals 4. i have to follow the logic behind it each time i look. i read the statement, i follow the logic. aghh..nevermind. that example s too simple to do justice and its too complicated to explain how characters designate a symbol, that is shortform for words. most see the symbol and memorize the symbol's symbolic responce. i see the symbol, and read the logic printed in it, and then remember what the responce should be. anyway. im going to stop now. im off on a tangent. sorry.
    Active, successful natures shun the dictum 'Know Thyself' and follow the commamdment 'Will Thyself' ~nietzsche

"Willing is the intj's evolutionary consequence of Knowing present and future as the everpresent livestream of yesterminute." ~reg~

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I don't recall getting much homework in elementary school o.O

Except there would be a "project" each term, or some terms at least in like 5th grade, which was harder than most of what I've had to do through high school and university. I didn't like those.

Idk, I don't see it as a big deal. I do like the idea though of not having to take your school work home with you. I never saw much point to school anyway.
    I remember that 5th grade project! It was hard! I thrived on competition though. My project turned out to be so cool I won an award for it with a ribbon and it ended up at the local rodeo on display. No kidding.

Oh man, that reminds me, I got pretty fancy with science fair projects in middle school! I practically melted the teacher's desk.