User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP

Default Last 25% of College Courses

can't be taken at a community college and transferred is. There is some Academic Regulations Appeals Committee that will consider appeals. My question is why? I am so poor and I really can't afford to pay out of pocket for these courses that I could take at the community college and save money. Approximately 1400 dollars would be saved for 3 courses. I don't think the appeals committee will give enough of a damn about me to factor in that I really can't afford to pay for college in the first place(financial aid cut me off), nor will they allow me to go against their policy. I tried to call today and they make themselves completely unavailable. The committee only meets semimonthly which gives me no time to actually prepare a case.

Is this policy the same at all the colleges? Why? Are they really that greedy?

MBTI
    INTP

Pardon the errors. I am not allowed to edit my posts, ever again.

MBTI
    yupp

yup, from my understanding alot of places are like this.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    I'm fairly certain this is the case for every college. Community colleges only give out AA degrees and certificates. They do not offer the higher level classes that are required to get a BA or BS degree. You must transfer to a 4-year college or university in order to earn that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I'm fairly certain this is the case for every college. Community colleges only give out AA degrees and certificates. They do not offer the higher level classes that are required to get a BA or BS degree. You must transfer to a 4-year college or university in order to earn that.
    It sounded like he was referring to courses that ARE offered at the CC. If he had taken them first, they could have transferred in, but since he's taking them last, he has to take them at the institution from which he plans to graduate. That does seem a little wacky at first glance, although it's possible there's more to the story.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Yes, I am aware of this. But the thing is, the courses I need to graduate are offered at the community college. I would save a lot of money by taking the courses at the community college and transferring them in to graduate.

MBTI
    INTP

I would of edited that post.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If you hadn't made swiss cheese out of the forum you could be doing that right now. Don't blame us!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It sounded like he was referring to courses that ARE offered at the CC. If he had taken them first, they could have transferred in, but since he's taking them last, he has to take them at the institution from which he plans to graduate. That does seem a little wacky at first glance, although it's possible there's more to the story.
    Yes, I am aware of this. But the thing is, the courses I need to graduate are offered at the community college. I would save a lot of money by taking the courses at the community college and transferring them in to graduate.
    Oh. Ohhhh! I got it now.

I bet that a big portion of it is that they do want as much money from you as possible. Although I'm sure that they don't want someone to come in, take one credit, and get a diploma with the name of their school on it.

Also, if lots of students started taking all of their credits at CC because it is less expensive, then maybe fewer people would attend the University for all four years.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Yes. Here's why. Because colleges are a business. While I believe that educations should be subsidized because they are positive network externalities, the case for you is this:

Either the extra costs are a good investment for you that your higher salary for having that degree pays off, or they're a bad investment that will not be returned by your higher income and so you should take what you can get and make your way in this world through sheer hard work at a lower pay and prove your worth in other ways.

Yes, it's cold, but that's the way it is right now, and I wish it could be changed, but at the moment, I don't have enough power to change the system.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^