User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Skilled Trades

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm studying toolmaking and cnc programming... work is paying for it so I decided that I might as well go for it, after all, it pays well and I don't have to deal with people I don't like as much

as has been said, most people in trades are older and reaching retirement age, so even the occupations that don't tend to hire a lot of people end up having quite a few openings as the current workers retire.

decided to study it after realizing that most people actually aren't good with machines and that I am (I'd thought that everyone could figure things out and fix them... apparently they can't, who knew? ) and there's something calming about working on something with your hands. plus, physical labor of any sort gives you time to think... time to yourself in your mind
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Here, in Canada, the government sees such a need for human resources in skilled trades, that it has developed an Apprenticeship Incentive Grant.

I wonder if there are any such programs there, that you can take advantage of?
    There's a lot of grants and such around the US all over the place that'll pay for your education, give you grants and stipends and supplies just to get into a high-demand field.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    There's a lot of grants and such around the US all over the place that'll pay for your education, give you grants and stipends and supplies just to get into a high-demand field.
    My son got around 2/3 of his classes paid and his books. We picked up the rest but it wasn't much at all, maybe a few hundred a term.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My son got around 2/3 of his classes paid and his books. We picked up the rest but it wasn't much at all, maybe a few hundred a term.
    I thought it was just universities and other 3rd grade schools that cost money, but secondary schools as well?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I thought it was just universities and other 3rd grade schools that cost money, but secondary schools as well?
    Oh yes but it was very little when compared to university, or even community college level classes. Fortunately, if he wants to go on for an engineering degree or something else in the field, his tuition would be covered by his employer and partially by the union.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm studying toolmaking and cnc programming... work is paying for it so I decided that I might as well go for it, after all, it pays well and I don't have to deal with people I don't like as much

as has been said, most people in trades are older and reaching retirement age, so even the occupations that don't tend to hire a lot of people end up having quite a few openings as the current workers retire.

decided to study it after realizing that most people actually aren't good with machines and that I am (I'd thought that everyone could figure things out and fix them... apparently they can't, who knew? ) and there's something calming about working on something with your hands. plus, physical labor of any sort gives you time to think... time to yourself in your mind
    Most people get stuck in jobs that offer no future except in other shitty jobs. Like working a till for example. All that teaches you is to hate humanity (which isn't so bad) and how to work on other tills.

Unless it's a different model of till, in which case square one for you.

And most really can't fix machinery, or lack the kind of mind that is engaged by doing so.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Most people get stuck in jobs that offer no future except in other shitty jobs. Like working a till for example. All that teaches you is to hate humanity (which isn't so bad) and how to work on other tills.

Unless it's a different model of till, in which case square one for you.

And most really can't fix machinery, or lack the kind of mind that is engaged by doing so.
    aww... first cash register I encountered I took apart

I guess that I just don't understand lack of curiosity about how things work because it seems so ODD to me! Different people, different tastes though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    aww... first cash register I encountered I took apart

I guess that I just don't understand lack of curiosity about how things work because it seems so ODD to me! Different people, different tastes though
    I think it's possibly because the effort of doing so is alien to most people, as it possibly doesn't come naturally. Or just too hard. It's great that you have that curiosity.

I've heard talk about the great drive for understanding and search for knowledge of humans. But I think when someone is talking about that topic, they're really referring to the best minds we produce rather than all of us.

Then again I'm probably thinking about this a bit too rigidly; learning how to take something apart and put it back together is not a high minded concept, but I think it can be considered part of the same drive for comprehension.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I don't know if it is because there isn't enough training going on, or if it is compounded by the fact that people don't want to do them.
    A small rant to give some context to that, and then I'll answer what I can of your question.

The problem with the educational system today is that everyone is expected to get a college degree to do jobs that didn't used to (and, honestly, don't even really) require college degrees. That's a serious problem because it's turned a Bachelors into the new high school diploma. Colleges make money off of that assumption, and are under as much pressure to pass people with degrees as they are happy to take peoples' money. Now having a Bachelors means almost nothing and Masters degrees are starting to get that way too as the cycle continues.

What people don't realize is that while college degrees are fine and good (I have one, I don't regret it), they really aren't good for anything except academic careers, highly specialized careers like engineers and doctors, or science careers. And everybody thinks they're above skill trades for some reason because those don't require degrees. Those require actual labor and you take a nontraditional approach to learning them.

I know more plumbers that live in mansions than I do doctors.

They're practical, have good job security, and they're accessible to people who aren't willing to go through the extra bullshit to get a college degree (again, have one, but I had to do a lot of bullshit to get it: e.g. B.A. in Writing with a minor in Pyscholinguistics and Cognitive Psychology, but I almost didn't get it because of a second year German class... I WAS A FUCKING ENGLISH MAJOR).

To answer your question:

It depends on what route you go. There are courses in a given job you can take at trade schools or through correspondence courses, or you can shop around to local companies and ask if they take on apprentices or can give you any advice on where to get started to enter the field. The one thing I learned from when I was looking at being a locksmith was that the best people who can answer your questions are the ones doing it at the moment. They might even be willing to take you on as an apprentice someday. Some might offer you a job as a cashier or something while you take your classes, some might let you shadow them for a while to see how the job goes.

It takes a while and has lots of hands-on training on top of any other studying you have to do, but again, most trade skills have pretty high demand and good job security.

Construction is different. Contractors are better as far as I know. And both of them are very, very seasonal. Plumbing and electric work have a degree of being season-prone to them because they work with construction and contractors, but the seasonality is nothing like construction. You still need plumbers and electricians during winter, sometimes especially (pipes freeze, power goes out, etc). With construction you can do shit all during winter.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist