User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    "Es azul el coche" is also correct.
    The grammar is simikar to french. But in the case its exact to english...

Describing a blue csr is often el carro/coche azul.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah I understand what is being said probably 50% of the time but only know how to respond 20% it's like i know the meanings as i'm being spoken to but i still can't respond if that makes sense. and I only know present tense conjugation so i can read a little bit in spanish like signs and stuff but i could not have a conversation
    NO FEAR prplz. Truly this is a key element to learning (practicing) another language. Assume you are going to mess up, A LOT and go from there. Once you can accept this the mental blocks begin to fall away. Go ahead, mess up, it is the act of correcting yourself that strengthens the memories of proper usage.

As you know I'm bilingual in Spanish. I've never taken a single class or read a single book on the subject. I learned purely by talking to people, emulating them, paying close attention and asking 1,843,901 questions, oh and screwing up quite often and hilariously so . How did I do this? Two ingredients: NO FEAR and a will/motivation to learn the language.

Vaya con dios *makes the sign of the cross in Prplz direction*
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes five sounds, The Wailing Specter liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    NO FEAR prplz. Truly this is a key element to learning (practicing) another language. Assume you are going to mess up, A LOT and go from there. Once you can accept this the mental blocks begin to fall away. Go ahead, mess up, it is the act of correcting yourself that strengthens the memories of proper usage.

As you know I'm bilingual in Spanish. I've never taken a single class or read a single book on the subject. I learned purely by talking to people, emulating them, paying close attention and asking 1,843,901 questions, oh and screwing up quite often and hilariously so . How did I do this? Two ingredients: NO FEAR and a will/motivation to learn the language.

I am fluent in English, but I can only speak a little Spanish.

No hablo mucho espanol pero un poco espanol. Aprender un poco espanol en la escuala.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

I completely agree with this statement. I'm a native Spanish speaker, I'm studying for a degree in English and I know I'm going to mess up. I find ridicuolus putting us in front of a book, learning grammar and structures instead of using them. I liked my English teacher from last semester because we spoke a lot and wrote lots of essays. Of course you have to learn how to use it properly but don't be afraid of messing up, it's understood you're learning and "errare humane est". Yaru has explained the topic really well so I don't think there is anything else to add. Spanish syntax usually goes like subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

YEAH! I speak 7 languages. Not all fluently, but 4 fluently, 1 medium and other 2 kinda basic level.

1. It's normal that you are able to understand, but you're not really able to express yourself yet. You go through a desert of at least 6 months between one thing and the other. Your brain needs to take the info it's receiving (the understanding part) and store it into separate compartments, so that it will later be able to use them (the speaking). It will take at least 6 months, really, and don't worry too much about it.

2. It's super important that you decide to not embarrassed and just speak. It helps so much when you are in a context where you have mother tongue speakers around you AND they are nice to you and don't correct you on your mistakes all the time. I hate when I'm learning a new language and people correct me on my mistakes, it can make me really shy and then I don't improve!

3. Alcohol is strangely great! I don't know why, but I suddenly understand things I never did before after I drink a pint....And it also helps with my communications skills too. Try it! :P

4. Don't stress too much about grammar or exercises or books. Learning a language should be fun! Like another user said, go with intuition! LISTEN! Lots! Any source helps: radio / TV / newspapers, anything. It's best when it's varied.

5. Weirdly, the best things I've found to help me learn a language are:
    - children shows
    - TV commercials (especially the ones that repeat every 30 minutes, those are great!)
    Seriously, don't try to go for intellectual shows or news. It doesn't work! You'll be frustrated too! As a general rule, the most stupid your source or learning is, the best! Kids shows are great! Stupid shows interviewing housewives and what not are great too! Discussions on any shallow topic are the best to learn!

PS:
    As for your direct question, because I just re-read and saw you have an exam coming, give me/us a couple of examples where you get confused between "ser" (being in life) and "estar" (being in the moment) and I'll try to understand what hints I can give you.

MBTI
    yupp

thanks for the continuing help, but my exam was over a month ago. I don't need tips on it anymore. got a b in the class, so i'm happy.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by whatson View Post
    I completely agree with this statement. I'm a native Spanish speaker, I'm studying for a degree in English and I know I'm going to mess up. I find ridicuolus putting us in front of a book, learning grammar and structures instead of using them. I liked my English teacher from last semester because we spoke a lot and wrote lots of essays. Of course you have to learn how to use it properly but don't be afraid of messing up, it's understood you're learning and "errare humane est". Yaru has explained the topic really well so I don't think there is anything else to add. Spanish syntax usually goes like subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts.
    English grammar/spelling check:

Your first sentence was good.

Your second sentence contains a comma splice. Either replace the comma with a semi-colon or with a period.

Your third sentence needs a little reconstruction. "It is ridiculous putting us in front of a book learning grammar and structures instead of using them."

Your fourth sentence is structurally correct, but to add clarity I would have said "we spoke a lot of English..."

Your fifth sentence contains a comma splice (which is a comma used in place of a semi-colon). As before, either replace the comma with a semi-colon or split up the sentence into two sentences.

Your sixth sentence is correct.

Your seventh and final sentence could use the help of a colon. "Spanish syntax usually goes like this: subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    English grammar/spelling check:

Your first sentence was good.

Your second sentence contains a comma splice. Either replace the comma with a semi-colon or with a period.

Your third sentence needs a little reconstruction. "It is ridiculous putting us in front of a book learning grammar and structures instead of using them."

Your fourth sentence is structurally correct, but to add clarity I would have said "we spoke a lot of English..."

Your fifth sentence contains a comma splice (which is a comma used in place of a semi-colon). As before, either replace the comma with a semi-colon or split up the sentence into two sentences.

Your sixth sentence is correct.

Your seventh and final sentence could use the help of a colon. "Spanish syntax usually goes like this: subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts."
    Thank you

your resident asshole

Pues, la clase de prpl ya ha terminado. ¿Quién quiere hablar español aquí? ¡Necesitamos practicarlo!

MBTI
    yupp

i might try to learn russian again found some russians here.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so