• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

spanish speakers: ser vs estar

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Estar is for adjectives, Ser is for nouns.
Es el carro.
Está azul el carro.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Estar is for adjectives, Ser is for nouns.
Es el carro.
Está azul el carro.

Right. Though ''El carro es azul'' is more correct. Because it is always blue. You could say '' El carro esta manchado'' Which means it is stained, because it's a temporary condition.
The article goes before the noun.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right. Though ''El carro es azul'' is more correct. Because it is always blue. You could say '' El carro esta manchado'' Which means it is stained, because it's a temporary condition.
The article goes before the noun.

Es coche azul?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
El coche es azul

Article+noun+verb+adjective

:)

Structure can be really tricky sometimes, that's why it's easier to learn by ear.

"Es azul el coche" is also correct.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
"Es azul el coche" is also correct.

It could be acceptable in an interrogative form, because you are placing ''blue'', in a subject place rather than in the adjective place.

-Es azul el coche?
-Si, el coche es azul.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yes, it is normal. For how long have you been studying Spanish?

I am not sure what the present tense conjugation is.

You usually begin to speak when you feel confident and maybe if you find yourself in a situation where you have no choice but to speak.
It took me 3 years to learn english (until this level, of course I still have to learn a lot, but I can listen, read and express myself without effort)
The first year was the hardest. I started reading and listening a lot. But I could not write a straignt phrase without checking the translator and googling each sentence I wanted to write first (This is also because I can be crazy self conscious)
-if a Translator makes you feel more confident about it, don´t be afraid to use it. It will help you memorize some words as well.
it took me 3 to 6 months to start ´´kind of writing´´
after that, the second year I would write mostly fine, and would torture myself over pronounciation and stuff like that. But I could not talk at all. Last year I finally began to speak, and now I am fluent when I don´t think about it anymore. ( Unless I get self conscious, then I start mumbling and its the end of English)

Of course, since you are taking lessons (for what I could understand from your post)
You have to fit the learning system they want to force onto you (which can slow down the process a lot)
So it will be harder, but is not your fault. If you see other people that learn faster with that system if just because that way of learning fits them more.
You need to find out your own ways.
And don't be afraid to talk like a 2 year old. The more you try to say whatever the easier it will be to start making more sense :)

yeah in the us in some states you have to have 2 years of a foreign language in highschool and then 2 semesters in college. you don't really learn how to speak it, because you're not forced to outside of class

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It could be acceptable in an interrogative form, because you are placing ''blue'', in a subject place rather than in the adjective place.

-Es azul el coche?
-Si, el coche es azul.

¡Estrepitosamente!

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
How i 2as taught..

Ser -"description, origin, characteristic, time, occupation, relationship.

So, soy alto, soy americano, soy guapo, son las ocho horas, soy doctor, ella es mi novia y ella tiene el cuerpo mas bonita...

Estar - postion, location, action, condtion, emotion

So, estoy en mi ciudad natal, mi novia y nuestros amigos estamos en nuestra casa, estan enfermo y su esposas estan enferma tempco, estoy feliz, estamos hablando a mis padres y estan mirando su televion.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
El coche es azul

Article+noun+verb+adjective

Structure can be really tricky sometimes, that's why it's easier to learn by ear.

Si. la srta tiene el mejor espanol aqui, porque ella es una hablanta espanol nativo.

Es bueno a leer y aprender su puntos. ;)

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah I understand what is being said probably 50% of the time but only know how to respond 20% it's like i know the meanings as i'm being spoken to but i still can't respond if that makes sense. and I only know present tense conjugation so i can read a little bit in spanish like signs and stuff but i could not have a conversation

NO FEAR prplz. Truly this is a key element to learning (practicing) another language. Assume you are going to mess up, A LOT and go from there. Once you can accept this the mental blocks begin to fall away. Go ahead, mess up, it is the act of correcting yourself that strengthens the memories of proper usage.

As you know I'm bilingual in Spanish. I've never taken a single class or read a single book on the subject. I learned purely by talking to people, emulating them, paying close attention and asking 1,843,901 questions, oh and screwing up quite often and hilariously so :). How did I do this? Two ingredients: NO FEAR and a will/motivation to learn the language.

Vaya con dios *makes the sign of the cross in Prplz direction*

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
NO FEAR prplz. Truly this is a key element to learning (practicing) another language. Assume you are going to mess up, A LOT and go from there. Once you can accept this the mental blocks begin to fall away. Go ahead, mess up, it is the act of correcting yourself that strengthens the memories of proper usage.

As you know I'm bilingual in Spanish. I've never taken a single class or read a single book on the subject. I learned purely by talking to people, emulating them, paying close attention and asking 1,843,901 questions, oh and screwing up quite often and hilariously so :). How did I do this? Two ingredients: NO FEAR and a will/motivation to learn the language.

I am fluent in English, but I can only speak a little Spanish.

No hablo mucho espanol pero un poco espanol. Aprender un poco espanol en la escuala.

whatson

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I completely agree with this statement. I'm a native Spanish speaker, I'm studying for a degree in English and I know I'm going to mess up. I find ridicuolus putting us in front of a book, learning grammar and structures instead of using them. I liked my English teacher from last semester because we spoke a lot and wrote lots of essays. Of course you have to learn how to use it properly but don't be afraid of messing up, it's understood you're learning and "errare humane est". Yaru has explained the topic really well so I don't think there is anything else to add. Spanish syntax usually goes like subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

YEAH! I speak 7 languages. Not all fluently, but 4 fluently, 1 medium and other 2 kinda basic level.

1. It's normal that you are able to understand, but you're not really able to express yourself yet. You go through a desert of at least 6 months between one thing and the other. Your brain needs to take the info it's receiving (the understanding part) and store it into separate compartments, so that it will later be able to use them (the speaking). It will take at least 6 months, really, and don't worry too much about it.

2. It's super important that you decide to not embarrassed and just speak. It helps so much when you are in a context where you have mother tongue speakers around you AND they are nice to you and don't correct you on your mistakes all the time. I hate when I'm learning a new language and people correct me on my mistakes, it can make me really shy and then I don't improve!

3. Alcohol is strangely great! I don't know why, but I suddenly understand things I never did before after I drink a pint....And it also helps with my communications skills too. Try it! :p

4. Don't stress too much about grammar or exercises or books. Learning a language should be fun! Like another user said, go with intuition! LISTEN! Lots! Any source helps: radio / TV / newspapers, anything. It's best when it's varied.

5. Weirdly, the best things I've found to help me learn a language are:
- children shows
- TV commercials (especially the ones that repeat every 30 minutes, those are great!)
Seriously, don't try to go for intellectual shows or news. It doesn't work! You'll be frustrated too! As a general rule, the most stupid your source or learning is, the best! Kids shows are great! Stupid shows interviewing housewives and what not are great too! Discussions on any shallow topic are the best to learn!

PS:
As for your direct question, because I just re-read and saw you have an exam coming, give me/us a couple of examples where you get confused between "ser" (being in life) and "estar" (being in the moment) and I'll try to understand what hints I can give you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
thanks for the continuing help, but my exam was over a month ago. I don't need tips on it anymore. got a b in the class, so i'm happy.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I completely agree with this statement. I'm a native Spanish speaker, I'm studying for a degree in English and I know I'm going to mess up. I find ridicuolus putting us in front of a book, learning grammar and structures instead of using them. I liked my English teacher from last semester because we spoke a lot and wrote lots of essays. Of course you have to learn how to use it properly but don't be afraid of messing up, it's understood you're learning and "errare humane est". Yaru has explained the topic really well so I don't think there is anything else to add. Spanish syntax usually goes like subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts.

English grammar/spelling check:

Your first sentence was good.

Your second sentence contains a comma splice. Either replace the comma with a semi-colon or with a period.

Your third sentence needs a little reconstruction. "It is ridiculous putting us in front of a book learning grammar and structures instead of using them."

Your fourth sentence is structurally correct, but to add clarity I would have said "we spoke a lot of English..."

Your fifth sentence contains a comma splice (which is a comma used in place of a semi-colon). As before, either replace the comma with a semi-colon or split up the sentence into two sentences.

Your sixth sentence is correct.

Your seventh and final sentence could use the help of a colon. "Spanish syntax usually goes like this: subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts."

whatson

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
English grammar/spelling check:

Your first sentence was good.

Your second sentence contains a comma splice. Either replace the comma with a semi-colon or with a period.

Your third sentence needs a little reconstruction. "It is ridiculous putting us in front of a book learning grammar and structures instead of using them."

Your fourth sentence is structurally correct, but to add clarity I would have said "we spoke a lot of English..."

Your fifth sentence contains a comma splice (which is a comma used in place of a semi-colon). As before, either replace the comma with a semi-colon or split up the sentence into two sentences.

Your sixth sentence is correct.

Your seventh and final sentence could use the help of a colon. "Spanish syntax usually goes like this: subject (article + noun + adjective or genitive) + verb + objects/predicatives/adjuncts."

Thank you :)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Pues, la clase de prpl ya ha terminado. ¿Quién quiere hablar español aquí? ¡Necesitamos practicarlo! :)