• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is There Another Way To End a Casual Business Email other than "Thanks"?

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I think its so weird.

Like when you write:

" Ive attached the analysis of xyz. Thanks"

like why the heck do u say thanks if u are sending someone something for them? i mean, what are u thankful for? for them receiving ur work?

I mean, yeah i guess it is somewhat polite, but isn't there another way to do that without saying something so weird and unappropriate?

does anyone else do something different?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I work for editors who were only saying it in emails to me if they had something specific to thank ME for, so I started switching it up too. Sometimes I say "Enjoy your day." If I'm writing to one particular editor who was a friend first, I feel a bit more liberty to say things like "Back to the mines," "Donning the shackles again," and silly stuff like that. I will do that with other editors too if I feel I have that rapport with them but I am cautious about seeming unprofessional.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess it depends how formal, but I almost always just sign my first name, as do my email correspondents. Don't really feel the need for more, unless I can thank them for something (like sending me work, hah).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't read too much into the word "thanks," it's a lot like saying "what's up?" when you'd walk across a college campus even if you don't particularly know someone -- just an indicator of politeness. You're just trying to convey your attitude towards the professional relationship, regardless of the word(s) you use.

Other things might work for you as well.

(Tacitly, though, I usually mean "Thanks for working with me on this" or some other permutation.)

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I had a bunch of files that needed to be pushed out onto our live sites by our IT director (the most anal uptight man I have ever had the misfortune to work with). The email said:

"Hey Don,
I've attached the files, could you please push them when you have a minute?

Hugs and Kisses,
Gabe"

He hasn't spoken to me or replied since yesterday. I love it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey SP, since when are you a real SP? Welcome to the dark side. :devil:

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Pretty much since my girlfriend got into MBTI and told me there was no way I was an N. I still skirt the line though. I think that's why I am able to use phrases like "Hugs and Kisses" in emails now, so it isn't all bad ;)

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
One of my biochemistry lecturers used to sign "Kind regards" and for some reason it appeals to me greatly. Then again, if someone responds with a simple 'regards' in return, I feel a little bit snubbed! :D

For more casual business, I use 'thanks' or 'cheers', but 'hugs and kisses' is looking good. :)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I usually start with "As per our conversations, please find attached....

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me via email or phone.

Speak soon. :)

Regards,

Jen

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I wouldn't read too much into the word "thanks," it's a lot like saying "what's up?" when you'd walk across a college campus even if you don't particularly know someone -- just an indicator of politeness. You're just trying to convey your attitude towards the professional relationship, regardless of the word(s) you use.

Other things might work for you as well.

(Tacitly, though, I usually mean "Thanks for working with me on this" or some other permutation.)

I'd go with Jennifer on this. "Thanks for working with me on this" is probably the underlying meaning of signing a casual business e-mail with "Thanks." See also "Thanks for your kindness/pleasantness." Even if they just did a favor for you and sign the e-mail with "Thanks," they could just mean "Thanks for your pleasantness in asking a favor of me."

I also like Ivy's post. :)

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Best (and/or) Regards,
Ina

Same here.

Sometimes I'll write:

Thank you for your responsiveness,
I will touch base with you soon,
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Regards,
Best,

If it seems appropriate, I get all NF'ey on folks with the following business closers:

Hope [the meeting goes well/the rest of the week goes smoothly/you can use this, etc.]
Good luck [with _____________]
Enjoy [the rest of the week/day/your vacation, etc.]
Until [next time/then]
See you [at the next conference, on Monday, etc.]
Speak to you soon,

You could probably even use:
'Stay safe'
'Keep warm'
etc.

Depending on the context...

Or not.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I find work emails so incredibly boring, and I imagine office life on their end to be pretty tedious. So if I have a reasonable expectation that they won't find it unprofessional I sometimes like to insert something kooky or strange to break up the tedium. As a self-employed person I probably have liberties that an employee doesn't have, though.

Some, but not all of, the best,
Ivy

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
oh haha, this would be SO WRONG but with my sister, I often end emails with

Retards,
Ivy

DON'T DO THAT!

One love y'all,