User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Master Teachers

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Being a teacher myself, I am probably too biased to give an objective argument.
    Me too, but I will say one of the best teachers I ever had was an art teacher in college. When we had teaching practise a group of us went to a particular school and they made me group leader and I was scared out of my wits. I hate leadership and yet it is continuously thrust upon me. I'll never forget when he looked me in the eye and said "You can do it!" just those four words and I knew I could. He's dead now but I would say a master teacher is one who makes you believe in yourself. I can only hope I do that for my students.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i think what a good teacher is has a lot to do with what type you are yourself. i'm an ENFP, i don't think i can take any teacher that does not foster communication. my favorite teacher from uni was probably and ENFJ. that of course does not work for everybody though. i remember being in a finance (URGH!) class, and being bored to death by the lack of conversation of any sort. eventually, i talked to a business student about it during a philosophy class and she said "that's the way i like it". she was also surprised at how much we talked in philosophy (even when that class was more a of a quiet class by philosopher's standards). she kept to herself during class for the most part too. she's a very warm person though, so that may just be a simple E/I difference.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Mine was an ENFJ.
    He's a brit and he teased everyone.
    But he was secretive, but so encouraging

Then there was Ms. Slade
    an awesome ISTP who majored in math.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

<<<<<<What makes a great teacher in your opinion? What were your great teachers like and what were their types? As a young teacher, I'm interested to hear input from a variety of types of learners.>>>>>>>>

I've been very lucky to have had some wonderful teachers throughout my life.

I had two high school English teachers (an ENFJ and ENFP) who convinced me to become an English major in college. They simply changed my life--they were both very challenging and had high expectations, but if you tried to meet those standards they were incredibly encouraging.

A high school math teacher who made me work my arse off in Geometry, of all subjects, which I would never have done had I not wanted to impress her. I'm not sure of her type.

I had some wonderful professors in college. A whimsical, warm ENFP who consistently won teacher of the year... his INFP wife, who was brilliant and funny and scattered (she'd wander around the room drinking from a liter bottle of sparkling water, dropping chalk, and getting really excited about her subject matter)... an INFJ poetry professor who would open each class with a song or poem--I loved listening to his voice... and many more.

I think the best thing a teacher can do is be himself or herself and teach something he or she feels passionately about. I also really appreciate teachers who are strict, hold high standards, and expect a lot from their students.
    "All that you've loved is all you own." Tom Waits

MBTI
    INFJ

I have had many wonderful teachers but currently my choir director is my favorite. I'm pretty sure she's an ENFJ...so I may like her because she's my extraverted counterpart. lol She is around 35 years old and is just so awesome. First of all, she has infinite patience! People will be talking during class, and she'll simply pause until they look up and say, "Join us!" She knows what we're going through. She tells us not to get burdened by a difficult song and to just decide we are going to make it sound so beautiful that we'll relax. She says, "I know all of you are stubborn. You have to have at least a little stubbornness in you or you wouldn't have made it this far in life! You can do this!" She has such a way with words, encouraging words. When I auditioned for her in her office, I was so nervous I was shaking and clutching onto my keys. (I hadn't sung in choir since high school...it had been 3 years!) She had me sing a song and then before continuing with the audition, gently said, "You know, you don't have any reason to be nervous. I especially love your middle voice. You could definitely be a music major. You can put your keys down and just you know...relax...lean on the piano if that helps you." My jaw hit the floor...wow someone who's not annoyed by my nervousness. She also doesn't allow anyone to bash others...ever! She is hilarious! One night in dress rehearsal, we were singing a song in Japanese and the men weren't making their part peppy enough so she started rapping it and they joined her (this cute, petite white woman...lol). I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face. If she's ever nervous about a concert coming up, I can barely tell...and of course then I just stay extra attentive. I just can't say enough great things about her! Anyone else have/had a great ENFJ teacher?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyLadybug View Post
    I have had many wonderful teachers but currently my choir director is my favorite. I'm pretty sure she's an ENFJ...so I may like her because she's my extraverted counterpart. lol She is around 35 years old and is just so awesome. First of all, she has infinite patience! People will be talking during class, and she'll simply pause until they look up and say, "Join us!" She knows what we're going through. She tells us not to get burdened by a difficult song and to just decide we are going to make it sound so beautiful that we'll relax. She says, "I know all of you are stubborn. You have to have at least a little stubbornness in you or you wouldn't have made it this far in life! You can do this!" She has such a way with words, encouraging words. When I auditioned for her in her office, I was so nervous I was shaking and clutching onto my keys. (I hadn't sung in choir since high school...it had been 3 years!) She had me sing a song and then before continuing with the audition, gently said, "You know, you don't have any reason to be nervous. I especially love your middle voice. You could definitely be a music major. You can put your keys down and just you know...relax...lean on the piano if that helps you." My jaw hit the floor...wow someone who's not annoyed by my nervousness. She also doesn't allow anyone to bash others...ever! She is hilarious! One night in dress rehearsal, we were singing a song in Japanese and the men weren't making their part peppy enough so she started rapping it and they joined her (this cute, petite white woman...lol). I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face. If she's ever nervous about a concert coming up, I can barely tell...and of course then I just stay extra attentive. I just can't say enough great things about her! Anyone else have/had a great ENFJ teacher?
    I really enjoyed this anecdote. She sounds like she was a great teacher.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

^^ Mina Suvari's an INFJ? (damn you, Orangey)

I think a good teacher knows how to walk the line between being cool and being an educator who commands respect. That's kind of a prerequisite to establishing a dialogue with students. Above that, the teacher has to have good curriculum and ideas and know how to communicate them in a way that are relevant, exciting, interesting, and in a way that builds focus and problem-solving skills.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

^^Lol, did my post get in your way?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4