User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default gymnasium schools

so I just learned what those were, so I have a question for people in countries with gymnasium Gymnasium (school) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia if it be similar to a community college in the US Community colleges in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because that's what I'm gathering. a lot of people over here go to community college out of highschool and get their associates which is a 2 year degree but lower cost than a traditional university and then either transfer to a bachelor's program or just get a career.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I do not know what community colleges ares, but I'd believe gymnasiums are much more similar to high school in Finland.

In Denmark, Estonia, the Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Latvia, Norway and Sweden gymnasium consists of three years, usually starting at age 16 after nine or ten years of primary school.
    In Finland, the admissions to gymnasiums are competitive, the accepted people comprising 51% of the age group.[5] The gymnasiums concludes with the matriculation exam (Abitur), an exam whose grades are the main criteria for college admissions.
    -Wikipedia

Gymnasiums here are like an extension to elementary school. Subjects are the same, math, history, literature, biology, english, etc... with few new more scientic courses available, such as psychology. Studying is more rigorous and 'adult'. Students are allowed to create their own schedules and choose which courses to attend to (in elementary school they are decided for you). At the end of the 3rd year you'll have to do the matriculation exam on several subjects. It's practically a large essay which you have to write under supervision. After gymnasium school you are able to apply for colleges. Or you can do like I did, and go to vocational school instead and learn a profession (I became computer technician), and then apply for college (I chose to study computer sciences).
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

They're more like preparatory high schools, prpl. They're meant to prepare older teenagers for university.

The closest equivalent in North America is probably the Quebecois cégep ("say-zhep"). In Quebec they only have eleven grades of school, rather than twelve. After students have finished their secondary schooling at age 16-17 they can enroll in a two-year program at a cégep to prepare them for university, or a three-year vocational program that teaches a trade. Bachelors degrees in Quebec are usually obtained from a university after only three years instead of four years like the rest of North America.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I guess it be kinda like the highschool i went to last 2 years you pretty much chose your schedule and there were like 4 tracks. Math, Science, Humanities (which was social studies and english mostly), or Art. And yeah you had to have a minimum in each area but the track you chose you had more classes pertaining to that specific track
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so