User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Are workplace personality tests fair? (article)

Thoughts? Agreement? Disagreement?

Are workplace personality tests fair? - Yahoo Finance

The use of online personality tests by employers has surged in the past decade as they try to streamline the hiring process, especially for customer-service jobs. Such tests are used to assess the personality, skills, cognitive abilities and other traits of 60% to 70% of prospective workers in the U.S., up from 30% to 40% about five years ago, estimates Josh Bersin, principal of consulting firm Bersin by Deloitte, a unit of auditor Deloitte LLP.

Workplace personality testing has become a $500 million-a-year business and is growing by 10% to 15% a year, estimates Hogan Assessment Systems Inc., a Tulsa, Okla., testing company. Xerox Corp. says tests have reduced attrition in high-turnover customer-service jobs by 20 or more days in some cases. Dialog Direct, of Highland Park, Mich., says the testing software allows the call-center operator and manager to predict with 80% accuracy which employees will get the highest performance scores.

But the rise of personality tests has sparked growing scrutiny of their effectiveness and fairness. Some companies have scaled back, changed or eliminated their use of such tests. Civil-rights groups long focused on overt forms of workplace discrimination claim that data-driven algorithms powering the tests could make jobs harder to get for people who don't conform to rigid formulas....

....Job-screening personality tests are largely based on a psychological model developed in the 1930s. Until recently, job candidates often took the tests well into the hiring process, and the results were considered along with interviews and past experience.

As the hiring process gets more automated and employers begin incorporating more data into hiring, the tests are used more often and earlier in the process to winnow applicants for specific jobs...

Automated personality tests can "screen out the 30% of applicants who are least qualified" before an employer even looks at a résumé, according to Ken Lahti, vice president of product development and innovation at CEB, an Arlington, Va., company that provides pre-employment tests....

The article (from the NYT) is actually rather lengthy and includes various anecdotes / corporate examples.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I was told to lie on them and I was told that everyone lies on them. so I don't think they're that effective. people figure out what it's looking for and answers as such. it's just another game. so what it's actually testing you with is, how well can you manipulate the system to get what you want. which is the value corporate america teaches us, so in that sense it's fair.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes iHeartCats, Hard, Mal12345, devaf liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

The onlin application for Target has a really long personality test with a lot of redundant questions. Me and my ISFP friend have both gotten rejected by them multiple times, both plenty qualified. But whenever I go there the employees seem... not all that bright. Makes me wonder what exactly they're looking for on that test.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Everyone lies on those dopey things anyways. If you seriously said what you thought no one would hire you. I don't think it's fair to hire based on personality.. because you THINK some personalities are shit for the job, then they surprise you.. and the charismatic, lovely-seeming dude that looks born to be a salesman is actually a sleeze ball lazy asshole.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Fair or not fair, to be or not to be.........

Just use the cheat sheet like all the sensible people.
    Unicru Answer Key

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, the "lying" definitely compounds things -- if you can learn to game the system, then you know how to answer based on the questions you are asked and the job you want.

To be fair, we already do this in "interviews," where you think of your answers ahead of time to probable questions you might be asked, put on your best face, and don't say anything that could get you excluded from the job even if you aren't completely honest.

I don't think the blanket answers here are always correct, here, though. I mean, if I was hiring for a high-end accounting job... sorry, but I'm probably gonna trust the guy who can actually press his suit, shows up on time, and seems to work within boundaries well versus the guy who looks sloppy, shows up late, and can't seem to give definitive answers and says he has trouble making decisions... those personality traits as expressed through his behavior actually seem relevant to traits that will help him succeed in the job, as long as both people are otherwise equal. So with some things, personality seems probably to be correlated to performance in the end.

However, there are many that are not (and sales could be one of those -- it depends on the job and the clientele as to whether a certain personality will do better or worse).

I also don't see the point in giving personality tests to lower-level McDonald's employees. You're just looking for a warm body to fill a position for low pay.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

@Jennifer, are there Wawas near you?
    I've noticed lately, everyone sees to possess a primary or seconday preference.
    Either that or they are super energized.

While i'm like

I think it's good to have these tests for certain roles. If somebody cheats at them, it means (to me) they know what it takes to be competent at the job, and even if the cheater does not possess a preference, they at least know what it takes, maybe even have the ability to turn it on to do the job (if they want to keep it). Then it becomes less of a discriminiation tool and more of a qualification test.

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Those tests piss me the hell off when I apply for jobs. I lie my ass off and I imagine at least half of the people who take the tests lie. Therefore, it defeats the purpose of having such tests. All it tells the employers is that the people who scored highest either fit their personality criteria or are good at pretending to fit said criteria.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Jennifer, are there Wawas near you?
    There's one down in Boise I've seen, and maybe some others; but I remember that chain more from my days of frequenting eastern PA (that was my college Kwik-E Mart!) and NJ.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Whole Foods Market Inc. stopped using the tests in 2007 after managers noticed that workers who cleared the personality-screening process sometimes lacked basic food-preparation skills. "For us, it just wasn't a good fit," says company spokesman Michael Silverman.
    Yeah. It helps to test for the important stuff, such as the skills that are needed for the job.

Personality is important, but these personality screens only scratch the surface. Not only are they not useful in regard to hiring procedure, but also they're dangerous in that they're taken as describing the end-all, be-all of a person.

These tests will successfully vet in two cases. First, those who are dumb enough to self report that they hate doing work. Second, those who are unable to take the test because they are illiterate.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics