User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm beginning to believe that the real reason for these tests are to weed out the people who won't actually go all the way through and finish them. Some are incredibly long, even for entry level, low paying jobs. It's almost like the questions themselves don't matter as much as the willingness of the candidate to stick with it to completion.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I generally hate the idea of this kind of thing. I can't stand the idea of basing hiring decisions based on someone's personality. It feels like it borders on unethical. I'm more of a fan of making these decisions based on evidence of behaviors associated with success in the particular job being applied for, intelligence level (for some jobs) and previous experience. Communications skills are important too.
    I agree with the above. People of every type are capable of doing every job, though they will go about it in different ways and bring different talents to the table. Better to have employees take the test after being hired and working for awhile, to help in mentoring them and understanding how they will fit in to the workgroup. I took MBTI at work, but it was long after I was hired, and was also voluntary. The goal was to help our workgroup understand our collective strengths and weaknesses, and how to work together better. To that end, it was useful.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I'd have a really hard time faking the extroversion, agreeableness, calmness, openness to external experiences (but not internal) and conscientiousness that would be needed to "pass" these things.

This wouldn't be hard because I didn't know what the "right" answers were, but because so many of the right answers would be lies.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    The onlin application for Target has a really long personality test with a lot of redundant questions. Me and my ISFP friend have both gotten rejected by them multiple times, both plenty qualified. But whenever I go there the employees seem... not all that bright. Makes me wonder what exactly they're looking for on that test.
    Redundant questions are designed to root out the liars.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Redundant questions are designed to root out the liars.
    yeah i figured as much. i tried to stay consistent as an ESFJ or whatever i was pretending to be, but probably slipped a couple times.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

My experience with them is that they're awful. The ones I have had to take thus far have been at-home online questionnaires, and I have typically gathered my favorite good-common-sense SJs to help me give the "best" answers. Sometimes we will vote. Mostly we will make fun of the ridiculous questions. They seem like a colossal waste of time on everyone's part. I could see having specific aptitude tests like @highlander mentioned for certain jobs, but these sorts of assessments are kind of embarrassing to psychology.