• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are workplace personality tests fair? (article)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm beginning to believe that the real reason for these tests are to weed out the people who won't actually go all the way through and finish them. Some are incredibly long, even for entry level, low paying jobs. It's almost like the questions themselves don't matter as much as the willingness of the candidate to stick with it to completion.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I generally hate the idea of this kind of thing. I can't stand the idea of basing hiring decisions based on someone's personality. It feels like it borders on unethical. I'm more of a fan of making these decisions based on evidence of behaviors associated with success in the particular job being applied for, intelligence level (for some jobs) and previous experience. Communications skills are important too.
I agree with the above. People of every type are capable of doing every job, though they will go about it in different ways and bring different talents to the table. Better to have employees take the test after being hired and working for awhile, to help in mentoring them and understanding how they will fit in to the workgroup. I took MBTI at work, but it was long after I was hired, and was also voluntary. The goal was to help our workgroup understand our collective strengths and weaknesses, and how to work together better. To that end, it was useful.

ygolo

My termites win
I'd have a really hard time faking the extroversion, agreeableness, calmness, openness to external experiences (but not internal) and conscientiousness that would be needed to "pass" these things.

This wouldn't be hard because I didn't know what the "right" answers were, but because so many of the right answers would be lies.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The onlin application for Target has a really long personality test with a lot of redundant questions. Me and my ISFP friend have both gotten rejected by them multiple times, both plenty qualified. But whenever I go there the employees seem... not all that bright. Makes me wonder what exactly they're looking for on that test.

Redundant questions are designed to root out the liars.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Redundant questions are designed to root out the liars.

yeah i figured as much. i tried to stay consistent as an ESFJ or whatever i was pretending to be, but probably slipped a couple times.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My experience with them is that they're awful. The ones I have had to take thus far have been at-home online questionnaires, and I have typically gathered my favorite good-common-sense SJs to help me give the "best" answers. Sometimes we will vote. Mostly we will make fun of the ridiculous questions. They seem like a colossal waste of time on everyone's part. I could see having specific aptitude tests like [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] mentioned for certain jobs, but these sorts of assessments are kind of embarrassing to psychology.