• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do Gifted And Talented Programs Really Work?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Maybe, but I can't remember gaining much from them. It really depends entirely on the quality of the teachers and their attitude, along with the classroom environment.

If you are going to work with "gifted" kids (I really, really dislike that word btw), then you need to be able to accomodate their eccentricities and have a flexible, more tailored curiculum. From experience, we did the same work as everybody else but just had (supposedly) the best teachers. Those teachers were very hostile to being asked questions, maybe they felt threatened by some of the work I produced and some of the things I said.

A lot of this is due to the abyssmal failure called New Zealand education. I am sure in larger cities or countries with more options, you can get better results.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I’m against classifying students.. the teacher should treat the students differently based on their needs, but it shouldn’t make difference..
Equally in a justice way. we’re all in the same community, we should get to know each other.. that’s more important to know than black holes in my opinion.

I think I was clear enough, ask me if you want me to explain more.​

á´…eparted

passages
My story if you will, sort of off topic:

It's interesting reflecting back on the kids who were in the GT program in my elementary school. None of them survived college IIRC. On in particular just gets high all the time and works as a bus boy in the Rockies at ski resorts just so he can be a bum. They're all rather smart from what I remember, but at the same time nothing too terribly special? My elementary school was very small (one class per grade), so it could have been a small sample size. What they mostly did was meet once a week for an hour or two and either play games to engage creative thinking, or work on slightly above grade level material. If someone was truly advanced they'd test them and they'd formally bump them up a level in a subject (they would have done so with me for math and science if I wasn't such a crummy problem student). One kid a year behind us skipped a grade in math and would come to our class for that material. There was a small group (about 6 or so) students from my 8th grade that were in a much better GT program than my previous schools had and started out high school quite far ahead in several areas. Only one took the area they truly excelled in and ran with it (and I'd rather he didn't, but that's another story). The others sort of got lazy and tired in high school and wanted to be done with all their advanced work. One of my good friends in high school was also in GT but she got tired too and requested to move down levels.

I don't think GT programs hurt, and I think they can help, but it matters on the drive of the student. Like all of education, there's a lot of factors to play in. There's really no clear cut yes no answer.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My kids are in it. They would be too bored otherwise.

ygolo

My termites win
I moved a lot, and I liked the programs I was in. One issue of moving a lot is that there can be glaring gaps in education because things are covered at different times in different states/counties.

I don't have much to compare it to in terms of personal experience. Once, during middle school, I had to take classes at a near by high school, because the middle school didn't offer the level of courses I needed, and this was rather annoying. It lead to some rather bad experiences with bullying from the high school kids, and I was falling asleep in classes while acing the exams.

With that said, I think "gifted" programs sets up the wrong premise for how to do well, and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy to some extent. There can be horrible gifted programs, and there can be really good programs not labeled "gifted".

I realize, statistically, that where you learn doesn't matter much, but it tells us nothing about controlling factors. Things like encouraging curiosity, perseverance, and having teachers who care while setting high expectations are not factors that demographers track all that often. Education should not be about passing tests full of questions that have already known answers, anyways. But this is what is measured.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was in "higher level" academic placements growing up... It felt rewarding, in terms of feeling coddled and appreciated. My schools had high quality intellectual resources and excellent instructors, but I also missed out on diversity and real world exposure because I was effectively in a bubble. I also do feel like I was less inclined to explore my individual talents because I was so focused on being academically successful. Was I "gifted"? I think that I have always had an interest in and aptitude for academics, but that's just one skill of many, many diverse skills that are valuable. In retrospect, I don't see it as a justifiable reason to segregate and privilege a certain group.

Moreover, I have heard from other people I love who were not in the higher level groups or who were in the remedial groups because of learning disorders or other issues in their lives and how their experiences were colored by frustration and often a certain amount of shame for not being "good enough" or in the "stupid kid" group. And these are people that have gone on to be very successful in their adult careers, who are smart and talented and making a difference in the world. The fact that they weren't identified as academic overachievers when they were little has essentially nothing to do with how they're doing now, despite what we were all led to believe back then. I feel like there is no way that I can support gifted and talented programs knowing that they make other kids - who may well be just as successful, if not more - feel less valuable.

I also think about my friend who harped on and on about how she was in the talent identification group and sort of built her life around that, being a counselor for that program and really making it a part of her identity. She now works as a hairstylist, which I think is a fantastic career for someone as artistic and creative as she is, but ironically stylists were people that she used to look down on because of her "elevated" status. I don't think that's a healthy perspective to encourage in children.

However - my little brother ended up showing an aptitude for science early in his life, and my parents got him into a public STEM magnet school, which seemed like a beautiful compromise of those high-quality academic resources without the artificial environment. It also rewarded, celebrated, and built upon the natural skills and interests of those students without devaluing others. IMO, that's an example of a school doing it right. I think we should encourage and cultivate the natural talents and skills and interests children demonstrate, rather than ranking them higher and lower, and to distribute high quality resources and experiences to all students.

Last edited:

Mole

Permabanned
There are a tiny number of us at one end of the Bell Curve who are gifted. And they have a measured IQ of 160 or above.

And interestingly the gifted are different, not only in IQ, but also emotionally.

The gifted are emotionally gifted in that they are over excitable (OE), or sometimes it is expressed as high emotional excitability.

So for their social integration it is important that the gifted join a group of their gifted peers at an early age.

Unfortunately many parents want their children to be gifted, but the statistics are completely against it. And so we have what we might call ersatz gifted classes for the vast majority who are not gifted.

In other words, being gifted is a form of parental snobbery for many.

Meanwhile the genuinely gifted can be overlooked, misunderstood, and relegated.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I went to a very small private school for middle school, and was homeschooled for high school, so my only experiences were in elementary. I loved it in elementary school. I looked forward to it (for the first few years we had a full day once a week, and then for the last couple we had about an hour and a half every day). We did a lot of innovative stuff and took some really cool field trips. In retrospect, I do think all the students could have benefited from what we were exposed to, and I'm sure there was some cost to their self-concept to not be considered "gifted" (and probably some detriment to ours to BE considered "gifted" as well). But I can't complain about my own experience. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

Mole

Permabanned
I went to a very small private school for middle school, and was homeschooled for high school, so my only experiences were in elementary. I loved it in elementary school. I looked forward to it (for the first few years we had a full day once a week, and then for the last couple we had about an hour and a half every day). We did a lot of innovative stuff and took some really cool field trips. In retrospect, I do think all the students could have benefited from what we were exposed to, and I'm sure there was some cost to their self-concept to not be considered "gifted" (and probably some detriment to ours to BE considered "gifted" as well). But I can't complain about my own experience. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

So let me ask you: are you genuinely gifted? Do you have a measured IQ of 160 or above? And most importantly, do you have (OE) over exciteability?

Or perhaps you or your parents believe the New Age mantra that all children are gifted?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So let me ask you: are you genuinely gifted? Do you have a measured IQ of 160 or above? And most importantly, do you have (OE) over exciteability?

Or perhaps you or your parents believe the New Age mantra that all children are gifted?

In the Stanford-Binet, which was used at my school, "gifted" starts at 130. Mine as tested when I was in Kindergarten was 145. I'm 100% certain I would not test that high now. Sucks to peak in elementary school. :)

I don't know what OE is, but I was diagnosed as an adult with ADHD (inattentive type) but don't really consider it a disability. Except when I lose my keys for the forty millionth time.

My parents believe in the mantra that their children are the best in the world and better than everyone else's children at everything. It didn't take me too super long to figure out they were a bit blind on that count and that I couldn't really trust anything they said about my abilities.

Permabanned
Do gifted and talented programs in school work? I'm torn on the idea. On the one hand, it seems like you are segregating people into categories that they then self-identify with and these programs foster less than equal opportunity. On the other hand, it seems like there is a benefit to having groups of students with similar ability together because you can teach the class at a higher level. I recall being put in the "middle group" for english in the 7th and 8th grade presumably due to some standardized test scores. The thing is, I probably have some ability with that stuff so I'm not sure it was the right group. It took me a very long time to realize this. I think of the kids that are in the bottom group - it seems like that's the worst situation. They are pigeonholed and create potentially a negative self image because of it. This article on gifted and talented programs has some interesting discussion on it.

Any resemblance with typology is purely coincidental.

Mole

Permabanned
My parents believe in the mantra that their children are the best in the world and better than everyone else's children at everything. It didn't take me too super long to figure out they were a bit blind on that count and that I couldn't really trust anything they said about my abilities.

The purpose of psychoanalysis is to lead us to psychological independence from our parents. And so it seems you have achieved your psychological independence from your parents.

Mole

Permabanned

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Interesting- I'd never heard of it. I found this checklist: http://www.oldham.k12.ky.us/files/OverExcitability Checklist.pdf

Pretty much none of the psychomotor items apply to what I was like as a child, but pretty much all of the imaginational and emotional ones did, and a good chunk of the sensual and intellectual ones. Neat ideas- thanks for mentioning that. Now to think about how they apply to my kids...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am neither talented nor gifted. I was thinking how in kindergarten we had to look at letter flash cards but they were all randomized. so I'd look at them I'd go into autopilot and end up reciting the alphabet even though I knew the correct answer, and it sucked. because kids would get like 8 m&ms and i'd only get 1 cuz you know the teacher probably felt bad. But I think it was unfair. And yeah I'm not resentful for being not talented nor gifted, but I like the idea of dividing kids up by learning style.

Mole

Permabanned
I am neither talented nor gifted. I was thinking how in kindergarten we had to look at letter flash cards but they were all randomized. so I'd look at them I'd go into autopilot and end up reciting the alphabet even though I knew the correct answer, and it sucked. because kids would get like 8 m&ms and i'd only get 1 cuz you know the teacher probably felt bad. But I think it was unfair. And yeah I'm not resentful for being not talented nor gifted, but I like the idea of dividing kids up by learning style.

Do let me say this -

We all fall on the Bell Curve which means that almost most of us are normal, and only a very tiny percentage are either sub-normal or ab-normal.

And I think it is far more fortunate for the individual to be normal.

I know our parents and ourselves are vain and want to see ourselves as gifted, but the reality is that we are lucky enough to be normal.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I dunno, in-class diversity isn't super appealing to me. I'm not gifted by ANY means (I actually spent some time in remedial classes), but I always stood out REALLY bad in "inclusive" classes. I was super enthusiastic and asked all kinds of crazy "What if" questions in class. Needless to say, they all hated me. One time, this guy was rubbing a peanut butter cookie on my arm in class. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me: I was just hoping you'd die from a peanut allergy. I got picked on so bad I ended up in anger management because I would freak out and cry from the strain of it all.

For this reason, I like the idea of at least "streaming" classes. Even if I'm not gifted, it'd be nice to be at least in a class with people who cared about school a little.

I usually did better in more demanding classes, just from more stimulating material and having like-minded classmates. When I was in diverse classes, they were making us do addition/subtraction tests well into grade 8, because the lower half of the class still hadn't mastered basic arithmetic. We didn't learn how to use a comma until grade 9. Someone in my 7th grade history class thought England was a US state and another student thought that the holocaust was a Jewish holiday. At that point, I don't give a shit about diversity, just get me outta there!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I dunno, in-class diversity isn't super appealing to me. I'm not gifted by ANY means (I actually spent some time in remedial classes), but I always stood out REALLY bad in "inclusive" classes. I was super enthusiastic and asked all kinds of crazy "What if" questions in class. Needless to say, they all hated me. One time, this guy was rubbing a peanut butter cookie on my arm in class. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me: I was just hoping you'd die from a peanut allergy. I got picked on so bad I ended up in anger management because I would freak out and cry from the strain of it all.

For this reason, I like the idea of at least "streaming" classes. Even if I'm not gifted, it'd be nice to be at least in a class with people who cared about school a little.

I usually did better in more demanding classes, just from more stimulating material and having like-minded classmates. When I was in diverse classes, they were making us do addition/subtraction tests well into grade 8, because the lower half of the class still hadn't mastered basic arithmetic. We didn't learn how to use a comma until grade 9. Someone in my 7th grade history class thought England was a US state and another student thought that the holocaust was a Jewish holiday. At that point, I don't give a shit about diversity, just get me outta there!
dude peanut allergies are so annoying. because we couldn't have the chik-fil-a biscuits for like a semster at the concession stand in highschool cuz a kid was allergic to nuts, and he kept saying it was bs because peanuts are legumes and not nuts. the chicken is fried in peanut oil. and apparently once fried the oil isn't as harmful. So yeah. this was before the whole anti-gay marriage thing happened. he finally convinced the school that he would not die if they sold the biscuits

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
dude peanut allergies are so annoying. because we couldn't have the chik-fil-a biscuits for like a semster at the concession stand in highschool cuz a kid was allergic to nuts, and he kept saying it was bs because peanuts are legumes and not nuts. the chicken is fried in peanut oil. and apparently once fried the oil isn't as harmful. So yeah. this was before the whole anti-gay marriage thing happened.

Yeah, when I was a kid, I definitely resented the kids who had allergies, because I ate peanut butter crackers every day from grade 1-4. Then BAM! Suddenly all these peanut alergies started appearing. Mind you, I'm glad no one died while I was in elementary school, but as a child, my number one concern was what I was eating.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, when I was a kid, I definitely resented the kids who had allergies, because I ate peanut butter crackers every day from grade 1-4. Then BAM! Suddenly all these peanut alergies started appearing. Mind you, I'm glad no one died while I was in elementary school, but as a child, my number one concern was what I was eating.

yup. and they vary in severity. some people can be around it and are fine if they don't physically eat it. others in the same room as peanutbutter they're dead.