User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    dude peanut allergies are so annoying. because we couldn't have the chik-fil-a biscuits for like a semster at the concession stand in highschool cuz a kid was allergic to nuts, and he kept saying it was bs because peanuts are legumes and not nuts. the chicken is fried in peanut oil. and apparently once fried the oil isn't as harmful. So yeah. this was before the whole anti-gay marriage thing happened. he finally convinced the school that he would not die if they sold the biscuits
    Damn, you had a concession stand in high school? We just had inedible cafeteria food. But on the bright side it was close to downtown, so you could walk ten minutes and get a huge $3 slice of pizza at a local pizza place, or something microwaveable at the gas station, or a sandwich/cup of soup at a sandwich place.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Damn, you had a concession stand in high school? We just had inedible cafeteria food. But on the bright side it was close to downtown, so you could walk ten minutes and get a huge $3 slice of pizza at a local pizza place, or something microwaveable at the gas station, or a sandwich/cup of soup at a sandwich place.
    yeah it funded the senior trip. so it was ran by the seniors of course the class size per grade was about 50 students. though my brother's class ruined that, (one kid got arrested) he broke a beer bottle over a local's head, and it was a huge mess to get him out of jail cuz they weren't in the states. there was a lot of bad stuff that happened. so I think after that they used the money raised for something else. they would go on like a cruise or something
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    One time, this guy was rubbing a peanut butter cookie on my arm in class. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me: I was just hoping you'd die from a peanut allergy.
    Am I a bad person for laughing out loud at this? Wait, don't answer that.

Maybe this is off topic but it reminded me of all the homeschooled kids I knew growing up. Virtually every single one of them is now very successful and I remember them being very intelligent. Not that that's a result of homeschooling but I do think when you take away the distraction of having to navigate the awkward and cruel world of public socialization, you are much more free to focus on your talents, and probably less likely to get your self esteem shit on.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do gifted and talented programs in school work? I'm torn on the idea. On the one hand, it seems like you are segregating people into categories that they then self-identify with and these programs foster less than equal opportunity. On the other hand, it seems like there is a benefit to having groups of students with similar ability together because you can teach the class at a higher level. I recall being put in the "middle group" for english in the 7th and 8th grade presumably due to some standardized test scores. The thing is, I probably have some ability with that stuff so I'm not sure it was the right group. It took me a very long time to realize this. I think of the kids that are in the bottom group - it seems like that's the worst situation. They are pigeonholed and create potentially a negative self image because of it. This article on gifted and talented programs has some interesting discussion on it.
    We are always being segregated into categories that we identify with, whether 6th grade vs. 3rd; or engineering majors vs. political science; or football team vs. choir. Don't confuse equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. The first means that everyone has the same chance to get into the gifted program, because the criteria are relevant and fairly applied, just as with tryouts for the team or auditions for the choir. The second would mean that teams, choirs, and other activities take all comers. Sometimes they do, and sometimes that turns out OK.

Whether gifted programs work depends on what goals you expect them to meet, and how they are structured. Some are pullout programs, meaning that students are pulled out of their regular classes for a few hours or a day a week do do G/T activites together. Other programs keep the G/T students together all the time. Others have gifted classes in specific subjects like math or reading, which students attend based on individual needs. Of these I like pullout the least, since it disrupts the class the G/T students leave, and results in them getting more work rather than different or more challenging work (can seem like a punishment for being gifted).

If the alternative to a G/T program is that gifted students are not adequately challenged, this is unacceptable. Unfortunately this is what happens in many schools since classes are too large for teachers to tailor instruction to individual student needs. They teach to some average level, frustrating gifted or more capable students who are bored, and slower students who keep falling behind. I do like the idea someone else mentioned of raising expectations in "normal" classes, and having separate classes or programs for those who can't keep up. One way or another, no one should be forced to waste their time in class being taught things they already know, and ideally, everyone should be able to work at their own pace, even if it is much faster than their peers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So for their social integration it is important that the gifted join a group of their gifted peers at an early age.
    I have read that this is one of the most important benefits of gifted programs: it allows gifted students to spend time with others who are like them.

* Interesting how most schools are quite willing to hold back a student who has not mastered the material for his/her grade, but few are willing to let a student skip ahead a grade. More of this sort of thing might relieve the need for formal G/T programs, by allowing these students to find academic challenge through existing classes.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have read that this is one of the most important benefits of gifted programs: it allows gifted students to spend time with others who are like them.
    The problem is that the percentage and number of actual gifted students is very tiny. But because we are vain and want to be thought of as gifted so gifted and talented classes have been created for the merely clever.

But the merely clever do not have OE (over excitability) while the actual gifted do have OE.

And then we take it to ridiculous lengths in our vanity and say, all children are gifted, which is insulting nonsense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The problem is that the percentage and number of actual gifted students is very tiny. But because we are vain and want to be thought of as gifted so gifted and talented classes have been created for the merely clever.

But the merely clever do not have OE (over excitability) while the actual gifted do have OE.

And then we take it to ridiculous lengths in our vanity and say, all children are gifted, which is insulting nonsense.
    Everyone IS gifted, in the sense that we all have our own assortment of talents and abilities. (That's why Briggs and Meyers book is called Gifts Differing.) Not all of these gifts can be developed appropriately through what passes for public education in most places. Those so-called "gifted and talented" programs try to target at least a few of these unaddressed gifts. Viewed this way it becomes apparent that the "problem" is less with students and their individual strengths and weaknesses, but rather with an educational system that leaves large numbers of students (and their gifts) underserved and underdeveloped.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Everyone IS gifted, in the sense that we all have our own assortment of talents and abilities. (That's why Briggs and Meyers book is called Gifts Differing.) Not all of these gifts can be developed appropriately through what passes for public education in most places. Those so-called "gifted and talented" programs try to target at least a few of these unaddressed gifts. Viewed this way it becomes apparent that the "problem" is less with students and their individual strengths and weaknesses, but rather with an educational system that leaves large numbers of students (and their gifts) underserved and underdeveloped.
    This is the propaganda of Mrs Briggs and her daugther, Mrs Myers. And it is also the propanda of the New Age and American popular culture. But I simply refer you to the Bell Curve and you will find the number of gifted is miniscule. On the other hand, under the Bell Curve, almost all of us are normal.

The striking thing though is that the normal socially exclude the sub-normal and the ab-normal (the gifted).

So not only is New Age propaganda irrational, it is also vicious special pleading.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is the propaganda of Mrs Briggs and her daugther, Mrs Myers. And it is also the propanda of the New Age and American popular culture. But I simply refer you to the Bell Curve and you will find the number of gifted is miniscule. On the other hand, under the Bell Curve, almost all of us are normal.
    Exactly which bell curve are you referring to?

Exactly which bell curve are you referring to?
    I am referring to the Bell Curve on which the gifted fall. It is set out in What is Gifted and Talented Education anyway? (Part 6); IQ and the Bell-Curve - National gifted education | Examiner.com

And note: only one child in 100,000 has an IQ of 165.

So a gifted child has almost no chance of ever meeting another gifted child.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Gifted starts at 130, not 165.