User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do gifted and talented programs in school work? I'm torn on the idea. On the one hand, it seems like you are segregating people into categories that they then self-identify with and these programs foster less than equal opportunity. On the other hand, it seems like there is a benefit to having groups of students with similar ability together because you can teach the class at a higher level. I recall being put in the "middle group" for english in the 7th and 8th grade presumably due to some standardized test scores. The thing is, I probably have some ability with that stuff so I'm not sure it was the right group. It took me a very long time to realize this. I think of the kids that are in the bottom group - it seems like that's the worst situation. They are pigeonholed and create potentially a negative self image because of it. This article on gifted and talented programs has some interesting discussion on it.
    Any resemblance with typology is purely coincidental.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My parents believe in the mantra that their children are the best in the world and better than everyone else's children at everything. It didn't take me too super long to figure out they were a bit blind on that count and that I couldn't really trust anything they said about my abilities.
    The purpose of psychoanalysis is to lead us to psychological independence from our parents. And so it seems you have achieved your psychological independence from your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't know what OE is
    OE or over exciteability is the hallmark of the gifted.

OE does mark the gifted out from others, so it is very easy for the gifted to be ostracised by the normal, so that is why it is important for the gifted to join a group of their gifted peers at an early age to foster their emotional and social development.

We can read about OE on http://www.sengifted.org/archives/ar...and-the-gifted
    @Ivy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Interesting- I'd never heard of it. I found this checklist: http://www.oldham.k12.ky.us/files/Ov...0Checklist.pdf

Pretty much none of the psychomotor items apply to what I was like as a child, but pretty much all of the imaginational and emotional ones did, and a good chunk of the sensual and intellectual ones. Neat ideas- thanks for mentioning that. Now to think about how they apply to my kids...

MBTI
    yupp

I am neither talented nor gifted. I was thinking how in kindergarten we had to look at letter flash cards but they were all randomized. so I'd look at them I'd go into autopilot and end up reciting the alphabet even though I knew the correct answer, and it sucked. because kids would get like 8 m&ms and i'd only get 1 cuz you know the teacher probably felt bad. But I think it was unfair. And yeah I'm not resentful for being not talented nor gifted, but I like the idea of dividing kids up by learning style.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I am neither talented nor gifted. I was thinking how in kindergarten we had to look at letter flash cards but they were all randomized. so I'd look at them I'd go into autopilot and end up reciting the alphabet even though I knew the correct answer, and it sucked. because kids would get like 8 m&ms and i'd only get 1 cuz you know the teacher probably felt bad. But I think it was unfair. And yeah I'm not resentful for being not talented nor gifted, but I like the idea of dividing kids up by learning style.
    Do let me say this -

We all fall on the Bell Curve which means that almost most of us are normal, and only a very tiny percentage are either sub-normal or ab-normal.

And I think it is far more fortunate for the individual to be normal.

I know our parents and ourselves are vain and want to see ourselves as gifted, but the reality is that we are lucky enough to be normal.

Enneagram

I dunno, in-class diversity isn't super appealing to me. I'm not gifted by ANY means (I actually spent some time in remedial classes), but I always stood out REALLY bad in "inclusive" classes. I was super enthusiastic and asked all kinds of crazy "What if" questions in class. Needless to say, they all hated me. One time, this guy was rubbing a peanut butter cookie on my arm in class. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me: I was just hoping you'd die from a peanut allergy. I got picked on so bad I ended up in anger management because I would freak out and cry from the strain of it all.

For this reason, I like the idea of at least "streaming" classes. Even if I'm not gifted, it'd be nice to be at least in a class with people who cared about school a little.

I usually did better in more demanding classes, just from more stimulating material and having like-minded classmates. When I was in diverse classes, they were making us do addition/subtraction tests well into grade 8, because the lower half of the class still hadn't mastered basic arithmetic. We didn't learn how to use a comma until grade 9. Someone in my 7th grade history class thought England was a US state and another student thought that the holocaust was a Jewish holiday. At that point, I don't give a shit about diversity, just get me outta there!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I dunno, in-class diversity isn't super appealing to me. I'm not gifted by ANY means (I actually spent some time in remedial classes), but I always stood out REALLY bad in "inclusive" classes. I was super enthusiastic and asked all kinds of crazy "What if" questions in class. Needless to say, they all hated me. One time, this guy was rubbing a peanut butter cookie on my arm in class. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me: I was just hoping you'd die from a peanut allergy. I got picked on so bad I ended up in anger management because I would freak out and cry from the strain of it all.

For this reason, I like the idea of at least "streaming" classes. Even if I'm not gifted, it'd be nice to be at least in a class with people who cared about school a little.

I usually did better in more demanding classes, just from more stimulating material and having like-minded classmates. When I was in diverse classes, they were making us do addition/subtraction tests well into grade 8, because the lower half of the class still hadn't mastered basic arithmetic. We didn't learn how to use a comma until grade 9. Someone in my 7th grade history class thought England was a US state and another student thought that the holocaust was a Jewish holiday. At that point, I don't give a shit about diversity, just get me outta there!
    dude peanut allergies are so annoying. because we couldn't have the chik-fil-a biscuits for like a semster at the concession stand in highschool cuz a kid was allergic to nuts, and he kept saying it was bs because peanuts are legumes and not nuts. the chicken is fried in peanut oil. and apparently once fried the oil isn't as harmful. So yeah. this was before the whole anti-gay marriage thing happened. he finally convinced the school that he would not die if they sold the biscuits
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    dude peanut allergies are so annoying. because we couldn't have the chik-fil-a biscuits for like a semster at the concession stand in highschool cuz a kid was allergic to nuts, and he kept saying it was bs because peanuts are legumes and not nuts. the chicken is fried in peanut oil. and apparently once fried the oil isn't as harmful. So yeah. this was before the whole anti-gay marriage thing happened.
    Yeah, when I was a kid, I definitely resented the kids who had allergies, because I ate peanut butter crackers every day from grade 1-4. Then BAM! Suddenly all these peanut alergies started appearing. Mind you, I'm glad no one died while I was in elementary school, but as a child, my number one concern was what I was eating.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Yeah, when I was a kid, I definitely resented the kids who had allergies, because I ate peanut butter crackers every day from grade 1-4. Then BAM! Suddenly all these peanut alergies started appearing. Mind you, I'm glad no one died while I was in elementary school, but as a child, my number one concern was what I was eating.
    yup. and they vary in severity. some people can be around it and are fine if they don't physically eat it. others in the same room as peanutbutter they're dead.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all