User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Default Business Casual?

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this. Okay, so I just got this new job! Yay! I know, I'm excited. The problem is they want me to dress business casual everyday. I've only ever dressed business casual for interviews, so I have that one outfit.

I really don't know how to stretch my wardrobe to dress business casual everyday. I'm really not rich enough to buy a whole new wardrobe, so i'm trying to figure out if there is some way i can make my current wardrobe work. I dress VERY casually on a day to day basis. Sometimes it's just a pair of yoga pants and a t shirt. Other days it's jeans and a t shirt. However, I do own about 21 dresses. I also have the problem that I'm a pretty curvy girl. A size 14/16 (US). My measurements are 42-32-42. My bra size is 36G. I can't wear button down shirts, because my boobs are too damn big. Typical "business casual" stuff looks awful on me I feel or I just look too sexy to pull it off (being serious). I just don't know how to make this work. I would love suggestions. I can spend a little bit of money if necessary.

So here are my questions:

Can you make dresses business casual by adding a cardigan?

If I post pictures of outfits I've put together, will someone tell me with honesty if it is business casual or not?

Are tights business casual?
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Congrats!

Yes, you can make a dress more casual with a short cardigan, blazer or with tights (but it does depend on the dress - provided it isn't super-short, doesn't have sparkles or is made from shiny material you might be ok.)

No to the tights aside from above.

Add two pairs of dress pants (black and one other neutral, grey or tan) two skirts (one black and one other neutral, grey or tan) and three different color camisoles to coordinate with the above and your blazers/cardigans and you're a go. If you make the camisoles the "pop" color, keep the jackets on the plain side. Otherwise, keep the camisoles white and put the color/creativity in the blazer. Neutral shoes / boots have more versatility.

Also, here: Curvy Girl Pretty on Pinterest - you'll get some ideas.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes scantilyclad liked this post

What's the 'culture' like at this place? "Business casual" means all sorts of things, depending on the particular workplace. Speaking as a man, business casual can mean anything from golf shit and a decent pair of jeans (no holes) to long-sleeved collared shirt with trousers and leather shoes (basically a suit, minus the jacket and tie).

In general leggings/tights tend to be a little too casual but I've seen it pulled off before with a longer top, long enough to cover your bum in its entirety.

Pair cardigans and other light sweaters with camisoles.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Add two pairs of dress pants (black and one other neutral, grey or tan)

By the sounds of it you have many dresses but few pants besides tights and jeans. Save your shekels and buy yourself a couple pairs of pants; black and grey or tan, as described above.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Can you wear tights with skirts? I would never wear tights by themselves. I usually wear them with skirts and dresses.

I wore this to my first interview. Is this okay?

tights.jpg
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I always went with skirts and sweaters and boots when I had to dress business casual, which was for years... sometimes a dress with a cardigan. button down shirts look awkward on me and dress pants never fit right without tailoring. probably not proper business casual, but it passed
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes scantilyclad liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

By the sounds of it you have many dresses but few pants besides tights and jeans. Save your shekels and buy yourself a couple pairs of pants; black and grey or tan, as described above.
    Pants don't usually look awesome on me. I have large hips, and a much smaller waist in comparison, so pants always look soooo awkward on me. Especially dressy ones. I do have a pair of navy ones and a pair of khakis. The khakis show everything that i'd rather hide about my body lol.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    Can you wear tights with skirts? I would never wear tights by themselves. I usually wear them with skirts and dresses.

I wore this to my first interview. Is this okay?

tights.jpg
    Pic looks fine to me. Tights ok in this scenario. I would accent the waist if I were you. If cash is scant, try the thrift shops for a couple of blazers and other bits you lack (cute skinny belts etc) - you will likely find stock sizes that are big enough in the bust but then too big in the waist. You could alter them yourself of find a friend who loves her sewing maching to take in the seams for you. There are actually some good videos on youtube that show you how as well!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Pic looks fine to me. Tights ok in this scenario. I would accent the waist if I were you. If cash is scant, try the thrift shops for a couple of blazers and other bits you lack (cute skinny belts etc) - you will likely find stock sizes that are big enough in the bust but then too big in the waist. You could alter them yourself of find a friend who loves her sewing maching to take in the seams for you. There are actually some good videos on youtube that show you how as well!
    I was thinking about hitting up a thrift store to see if I could find anything. I have a ton of skinny belts, but I want to find a decentish blazer. The only blazer I have is black and white striped. haha.

Can I get away with a dinosaur dress if I add a cardigan or is it too whimsical? This is my favorite dress.

dino.jpg
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

Also nice slacks + cardigan + scarf can make any plain t-shirt into business casual attire, IMO.

I also do the t-shirt (or tank) + cardigan + scarf with leggings and a stretchy black skirt. Got like 4 of them at H&M for like $5 each. I am all about comfiness of attire. I also have a couple blazers of a sort of sweatshirt material... weird sounding in theory, amazing in practice.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes scantilyclad, PeaceBaby liked this post