First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    scantilyclad does.
    And did she let the thread know that? Nope. I have been told not to make assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Oh god, who around here can actually recognise hyperbole?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I have been told not to make assumptions
    hehe

Likes Ghost, scantilyclad liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    that dinosaur dress is so cute! i would totally wear that to work.
    I'm obsessed with that dinosaur dress. I want to wear it pretty much everyday! Best dress i've ever bought!

Thank you everyone for the advice and ideas. I think I'm going to be able to make most of my dresses work.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Androgynous fashion is a crime against humanity.
    Please. Slacks are fine and in the winter, no one is wearing skirts and dresses. Except maybe the Amish.

I like the dino dress, maybe a cardigan over it. There are a lot of ideas on Pintrest and such where 10 good pieces are swapped around to create a number of outfits. Those are helpful and you could add pieces over time and get ideas for what you already own.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes scantilyclad liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I wore this to my first interview. Is this okay?
    The overall style is fine. I personally don't like tan and white together - too little contrast/bland, without the benefits of being monochromatic. Also, for a neutral color in camis I would use black, grey, or tan - the white ones can start to look grungy with washing/wearing. Also, black cami/black skirt makes a nice, continuous line; then a contrasting cardigan.

I don't agree with belts to accentuate the waist, when worn over a single-color/pattern item (e.g. a dress). They can stick out like sore thumbs. Better accentuate the waist with styles, like dresses with princess seams, or jackets fitted through the waist rather than straight and boxy.

In overall advice, I second the suggestion of going to a thrift store. When I finished grad school and started a professional job, I got 5 outfits, a sweater and a pair of shoes for $30 at a local thrift. You can often find much better quality items - lined pants and skirts, lambswool sweaters, etc. It's also a good way to try out styles you aren't sure you like yet.

Yes, dresses and cardigans are fine for business casual, and I don't see the problem with tights with any outfit, as long as they are plain and a matching color. What were the other women wearing at your new jobsite when you interviewed? Someone else advised dressing a little more formally your first few days, and observing your coworkers. That's great advice, too. It won't take you long to determine what will fit in, and how to stand out in a positive way.

Well I don't live in North America, and as a liberal, surely you should welcome input from somebody of a different culture.
    Androgynous fashion is a crime against humanity.
    In what way? Trousers are a recent development for men as well, in the span of human history. You have mentioned living in New Zealand. Is fashion there significantly different from what one sees in the U.S. and western Europe?

Your comment about dresses being better than trousers is exactly right for certain body types, especially dresses in certain styles. Other body types will look better in trousers. Everyone is better off in trousers for certain kinds of work.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Please. Slacks are fine and in the winter, no one is wearing skirts and dresses. Except maybe the Amish.
    When I was in college, I used to wear mid-calf woolen skirts with thick knee socks and sturdy shoes, and ride my bike to a consulting firm internship several times a week. That was my "business casual" back then. I could have worn pants, but I had the skirts and liked them, with turtlenecks and fitted cardigan sweaters.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes scantilyclad liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    When I was in college, I used to wear mid-calf woolen skirts with thick knee socks and sturdy shoes, and ride my bike to a consulting firm internship several times a week. That was my "business casual" back then. I could have worn pants, but I had the skirts and liked them, with turtlenecks and fitted cardigan sweaters.
    I agree with you for comfort but, just thinking about last winter in a skirt makes me cold.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I agree with you for comfort but, just thinking about last winter in a skirt makes me cold.
    Yeah, I definitely want more options than skirts and dresses. I live in Colorado, and I hear the winters here are pretty cold.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

In what way? Trousers are a recent development for men as well, in the span of human history. You have mentioned living in New Zealand. Is fashion there significantly different from what one sees in the U.S. and western Europe?
    Informally, I haven't noticed much difference, however in a work situation there are differentiated dress codes for men and women. I do notice more women wearing skirts and dresses than trousers in a professional setting. This is not the case casually. FTR, the climate of Southern NZ is similar to that of the Pacific Northwest in the US.

Your comment about dresses being better than trousers is exactly right for certain body types, especially dresses in certain styles. Other body types will look better in trousers. Everyone is better off in trousers for certain kinds of work.
    I do hope you are not suggesting that certain types of men would look better in dresses.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I do hope you are not suggesting that certain types of men would look better in dresses.
    In many (most?) periods of human history, and in many parts of the world, men did wear clothing much more similar to dresses than trousers. They were called robes, tunics, or something other than dresses, but they were fairly similar. And yes, some styles look better on certain men vs. other men, and some styles of dress-like garment look better on the stereotypical female figure than the stereotypical male. Consider kilts, for instance. They are very similar to skirts, but a traditionally male garment.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I don't know if this is the proper place to post this. Okay, so I just got this new job! Yay! I know, I'm excited. The problem is they want me to dress business casual everyday. I've only ever dressed business casual for interviews, so I have that one outfit.
    I am in the same boat. I just got promoted from the plant to the office at my job and I have 1, maybe 2 nice outfits. And no decent shoes. I'm going to have to raid the clearance racks at dep't stores and the local thrift stores.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian