• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Health Insurance?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ew ok i hate thinking about this kind of stuff, and that's definitely why i'm making a thread about it. i don't have health insurance through either one of my employers anymore since i'm part time. what should i do? i live in the US. i'm single and have no dependents.

help?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ew ok i hate thinking about this kind of stuff, and that's definitely why i'm making a thread about it. i don't have health insurance through either one of my employers anymore since i'm part time. what should i do? i live in the US. i'm single and have no dependents.

help?

Apply at your local clinic for financial aid.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
depending on what state you live in some have some really low cost options for younger people that aren't well publicized... I had a former coworker who also worked for my state's program and it would have cost me $17 a month :shock:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep forgetting health insurance isn't as basic and natural in the rest of the world the way it is over here.

If only there wasn't such a bigoted duality in the U.S. things might have been good over there now as well. Well, there's still time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'd say official .gov sites are a good place to start.

So what happens if you go there and they say, "Hey, you need to pay like 50 bazillion dollarz to be covered by Shitty McShitston's Insurance inc that gives you a lollipop and 3 coupons for costco that you don't have a membership for. Thanks for being healthy and able to work!"??

For me, I get free health coverage through the VA for 4 more years which helped me avoid that drama.
There are things like free health clinics, or discounted health clinics and things like that. A lot of companies are doing away with offering insurance because of this whole shuffly mess.

The other option? If you hardly go to the doctors, have a good amount of emergency funding set up just in case, you can just pay the penality of $97/yr which is far cheaper than the $208/month they had offered me for health insurance and just go to the free clinics and/or pay out of pocket for occasional doctor visits and go to health fairs for things like free flu shots and stuff.

Exemptions to the fee:

You’re uninsured for less than 3 months of the year
The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income
You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low (Learn about the filing limit.)
You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider
You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry
You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare
You’re incarcerated (either detained or jailed), and not being held pending disposition of charges
You’re not lawfully present in the U.S.

Basically, if you're a poor person, you're going to be fine no matter what.. use your free stuff and don't pay for stuff. If you're not, just buy the health insurance from the site (easiest) and/or do research on your own to find the best in your state and area (maybe better or a waste of time).

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks guys!! I'll look around at some options soon. Stupid adult life...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Starting point is www.healthcare.gov

From there, you look up the "health exchange" for your particular state.

The main enrollment period is currently closed, but you can still qualify to enroll under special conditions. Or wait for the next enrollment period: Oct 15 - Dec 7 each year.

For more, see "health insurance marketplace" and/or "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" at Wikipedia.

Yeah. You have a special condition if you just went to part-time. Just find a policy you like on the website and call the company - I had someone from BCBS talk me through the whole process. It's surprisingly easy, and you just give an estimate of your income and receive an automatic subsidy based on that. I pay around 40/mo.