Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Health Insurance?

ew ok i hate thinking about this kind of stuff, and that's definitely why i'm making a thread about it. i don't have health insurance through either one of my employers anymore since i'm part time. what should i do? i live in the US. i'm single and have no dependents.

help?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    ew ok i hate thinking about this kind of stuff, and that's definitely why i'm making a thread about it. i don't have health insurance through either one of my employers anymore since i'm part time. what should i do? i live in the US. i'm single and have no dependents.

help?
    Apply at your local clinic for financial aid.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP

Starting point is www.healthcare.gov

From there, you look up the "health exchange" for your particular state.

The main enrollment period is currently closed, but you can still qualify to enroll under special conditions. Or wait for the next enrollment period: Oct 15 - Dec 7 each year.

For more, see "health insurance marketplace" and/or "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" at Wikipedia.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

depending on what state you live in some have some really low cost options for younger people that aren't well publicized... I had a former coworker who also worked for my state's program and it would have cost me $17 a month
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I keep forgetting health insurance isn't as basic and natural in the rest of the world the way it is over here.

If only there wasn't such a bigoted duality in the U.S. things might have been good over there now as well. Well, there's still time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'd say official .gov sites are a good place to start.

So what happens if you go there and they say, "Hey, you need to pay like 50 bazillion dollarz to be covered by Shitty McShitston's Insurance inc that gives you a lollipop and 3 coupons for costco that you don't have a membership for. Thanks for being healthy and able to work!"??

For me, I get free health coverage through the VA for 4 more years which helped me avoid that drama.
    There are things like free health clinics, or discounted health clinics and things like that. A lot of companies are doing away with offering insurance because of this whole shuffly mess.

The other option? If you hardly go to the doctors, have a good amount of emergency funding set up just in case, you can just pay the penality of $97/yr which is far cheaper than the $208/month they had offered me for health insurance and just go to the free clinics and/or pay out of pocket for occasional doctor visits and go to health fairs for things like free flu shots and stuff.

Exemptions to the fee:

You’re uninsured for less than 3 months of the year
    The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income
    You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low (Learn about the filing limit.)
    You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider
    You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry
    You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare
    You’re incarcerated (either detained or jailed), and not being held pending disposition of charges
    You’re not lawfully present in the U.S.

Basically, if you're a poor person, you're going to be fine no matter what.. use your free stuff and don't pay for stuff. If you're not, just buy the health insurance from the site (easiest) and/or do research on your own to find the best in your state and area (maybe better or a waste of time).
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Thanks guys!! I'll look around at some options soon. Stupid adult life...
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YUI View Post
    Starting point is www.healthcare.gov

From there, you look up the "health exchange" for your particular state.

The main enrollment period is currently closed, but you can still qualify to enroll under special conditions. Or wait for the next enrollment period: Oct 15 - Dec 7 each year.

For more, see "health insurance marketplace" and/or "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" at Wikipedia.
    Yeah. You have a special condition if you just went to part-time. Just find a policy you like on the website and call the company - I had someone from BCBS talk me through the whole process. It's surprisingly easy, and you just give an estimate of your income and receive an automatic subsidy based on that. I pay around 40/mo.