User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Work Drama

Default Work Drama

How does one stay away from it or ignore it? I started a new job.... and it has only been one week, but goddamnit, can people just leave the drama a mile away from me please?

I am usually the one that just focuses on the job, even then, there are workers who like to talk trash about other workers, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I meet these other workers during the day. I've tried keeping myself busy throughout the day, but there is always time to complain, there is always time to see what is happening, and there is always time to notice little differences that get into my head.

Anything from lazy workers to workers that don't take care, I've been hearing it often once I started being trained in my workplace. I mean, I already do a lot of complaining as is, having to hear my co-workers, trainer, and those in my department complain about each other is just, BLAH!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Things that help me:

- Be the overly caring and optimistic person. No one likes a positive person ruining their gossip. "Omg so and so is sooo lazy." 'Why don't we try thinking of ways to positively influence their work performance? Perhaps we could work with them a little more, and see the parts they struggle with.' People don't really want solutions.. you start trying to suggest solutions, they'll stop going to you and your stupid brown-nosing ways.
    - Be the opposite, the uninterested dull person. The only thing worse than someone optimistic about others is someone who obviously doesn't care what you have to say. This one usually makes you come off as spacey. 'Mhmmm..mmm..mhmm.. Wait, huh?'
    - Play the psych role. Even if it's totally wrong and off-base, people don't want the gossip to be about them and their own problems. "Uugghh she dresses SO slutty at WORK!" 'It sounds like you're upset.. how does it make you feel when she dresses like that?' Condescending smarty pants attitude is really unattractive to gossipers.
    - Be the hardass. The guy that simply doesn't tolerate it from anyone, and lets them know right away. 'Look, I would tell anyone talking shit about you to stfu and gtfo. So, I'm not going to tolerate it from you either. Don't come crying to me about things that don't matter. If it's important, report it. If it isn't, try to fix it or at least don't come to me about it. It's not professional at all.' No one likes an asshole bluntly calling them out on their gossipy ways. You can tone this one down too, and make it all hippy-like and Ohm-esque too. 'I hope you understand that I just cannot talk like that about other people.. and I hope you'll understand that I would tell anyone that would try to talk ill of you the same thing.'

The idea is just, for whatever reason, to make yourself unattractive for receiving gossip. Inevitably this means people will gossip about you.. but they'd do that anyways so no loss really.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@kyuuei nailed it. I pretty much do all of that (besides the psych role really, but that sounds kinda fun hehe).
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Things that help me:

- Be the overly caring and optimistic person. No one likes a positive person ruining their gossip. "Omg so and so is sooo lazy." 'Why don't we try thinking of ways to positively influence their work performance? Perhaps we could work with them a little more, and see the parts they struggle with.' People don't really want solutions.. you start trying to suggest solutions, they'll stop going to you and your stupid brown-nosing ways.
    why would they bring it up if they don't want solutions? i always give suggestions for solutions or say I don't know if i don't. if they don't want a possible solution, then what's the point? this makes absolutley no sense.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I do this at my work. I wouldn't always call it "overly caring and optimistic" though. A few weeks ago I snapped, and flat-out told a coworker that complaining doesn't solve anything, so can we please talk about what we CAN do instead?

My other go-to is defending the people they're talking smack about.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know where you work, Prpl; but a decent chunk of griping that happens in the workplace, especially in the less well-paid jobs, is about people either venting their frustrations or trashing someone in order to feel better about themselves.

Usually in the places where I work, if you want to actually fix a problem, you either talk to the person you have the problem with or you talk to their supervisor... you don't sit around and talk to your peers about it. When peers talk to peers about a coworker, it's less likely to be about finding a solution and more just about getting frustration out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know where you work, Prpl; but a decent chunk of griping that happens in the workplace, especially in the less well-paid jobs, is about people either venting their frustrations or trashing someone in order to feel better about themselves.

Usually in the places where I work, if you want to actually fix a problem, you either talk to the person you have the problem with or you talk to their supervisor... you don't sit around and talk to your peers about it. When peers talk to peers about a coworker, it's less likely to be about finding a solution and more just about getting frustration out.
    if people don't want it, then I win because they'll stop talking to me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    if people don't want it, then I win because they'll stop talking to me.
    I think that was kyuuei's point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

even if it's a more of a the person saying they don't understand why someone does something? because in that situation bringing up to more than one person can be helpful as that's not really trying to solve the problem, because perhaps the problem is not solvable but the desire to understand might be able to be fulfilled. of course I prefer asking the person directly, but sometimes people get defensive and take your question as an attack, so you have no choice but to go to someone else and ask.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    why would they bring it up if they don't want solutions? i always give suggestions for solutions or say I don't know if i don't. if they don't want a possible solution, then what's the point? this makes absolutley no sense.
    They don't want solutions. They just want to bitch. Fortunately I'm not in an office to hear it but, if people want solutions, I'm on it. If not, they need to stfu and that's what I tell them.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.