• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pen Pals

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, I am trying desperately to apply the words and phrases that I am learning through a few software programs for my future endeavors. I'm actually having a fun time looking up the words and phrases and trying to use them when I see the physical objects, or sort of just say them when I happen the chance to think of a situation that I can use it. I think I'll be studying through flash cards at least once a day... I hope to be able to understand at least 600 words and phrases by the end of this year while also learning to write/type basic sentences in that language. You know, look at the word and picture that word in my head.

One thing I regret not doing while learning French for 4 years is not having a pen pal, whether from France or another French speaking country (or even a student from France in my high school would of been nice) that would be able to correct anything I say wrong while I help with some basic sentence structures for English (no matter if the person's government teaches English a certain way or not.) It would have also allowed me a valuable speaking buddy if that person did live in said country. All in all, my high school, especially the French class, didn't even raise enough money to be able to send the juniors and seniors on a trip there for cheap. The best circumstances these days would probably be a penpal who I can type to at least once a week or every other week, while reading he/she corrects what I typed down to more appropriate speech/usage and vice versa.

Although my language of focus isn't French anymore, the same situation applies. What is a good/legitimate site that I can use to search for pen pals? Should I drop myself in a online game that is region specific to look at conversations in that language?

Things I have:
Flash cards on my phone that reminds me to study 20 new cards + older cards that reappear every few days.
Similarly, a dictionary on my phone that I can use to translate words that I see and don't know.
Firefox program that hovers over sentences and words that aren't in English and translates it in a certain way.
A book that I hope to be able to finish..... some day (I spent a day translating a sentence, it was... odd.)
Some games that I have gotten in that native language (though these games are still kind of high in language.... maybe native middle/high school material)
Watching raw forms of cartoons, movies, dramas in a different language (or one that is native to that language) so that I can hear what is being said without looking at pesky subtitles

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I did a language exchange thing once -- but it was too difficult. I was trying to learn German. We both sucked at explaining grammatical stuff so we finally gave up.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm - maybe try this? Welcome to PenPal World (Registration is free.)
Best of luck finding pen pals! :)

That sounds interesting, I'll think about it. Makes me think too much of Facebook. Strangely enough, I found a phone at called Line that is similar to skype.... that is wide used in other countries that I might try

I did a language exchange thing once -- but it was too difficult. I was trying to learn German. We both sucked at explaining grammatical stuff so we finally gave up.

HAH! That seems typical actually. Like, I once tried to help a foreign student in middle school how to write in English and understand what the teacher was saying. It was one of the most frustrating things ever because I wasn't fluent in his language, and trying to translate was like giving me extra homework.