• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Being Smart About Your Degree Choice

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
I got two out of ten of the worst. Who can beat me?
I've got two out of ten as well. One of which is the top worst to have (and I have two degrees in that field!)

Do I get a prize? No? Crippling despair? Oh, I have enough already, thanks.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, I have my degree in political science, so, meh. Previously, I was aiming for the number 3, but now I can do most of the programming stuff on my own time, while learning more of the theoretical stuff researching online.

The top 10 is usually accurate. There are still some uses for most degrees, it just depends on how you are going to use them that makes the biggest difference. Even an archaeologist/anthropologist can make some big bucks going into forensics, which is in par with most of those top 10 degrees.

English is still in demand for most of the world, even though teaching, especially English, might be overabundant in places like the US and UK, there are still a lot of programs and governments overseas that are willing to pay a decent wage for one to live at their place. As a side bonus, you get to be place smack-dabbed in the middle of another country and get the chance to learn their language and culture. That makes it an easy route for some people to get a degree in English or ESL.

But I digress

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I can imagine many research projects in demand for biochemists (molecular biology, such as genetics)

Yeah, but you normally need a PhD to get access to those, and research funding is heavily volatile. Considering the amount of work you need to put into getting a degree in such field, I believe the ratio job security + pay / effort is way too low.

and geologists (anything earth/environment related).

AFAIK civil engineers are always preferred over geologists for those kind of jobs, and the latter often works as an "assistant" to civil engineers. The exception being those geologists working for oil companies, but not everyone is cut out for that.

Like you maybe, I was surprised that medicine and law weren't mentioned, but perhaps there is an oversupply of young graduates in these professions.

Law took a big hit after the "financial" crisis of 2008. Medicine is surprising, perhaps the cost of such degree is way too high in the US.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
. Even work study jobs doing data entry for the admissions office will count as office experience later on.

To be completely honest, I know this philosophy is fairly widespread among employers but I think it's fundamentally wrong. I learnt far more during an insurance / financia modeling 3 months course than during years of data-entry like work. As long as college courses have at least 50% of a "practical" bent, they can be far more valuable than work experience.

wildflower

i don't think it makes sense to pick a major based solely on what is practical i.e. money-making or solely on one's passion. a bit of both depending on the particular industry and the current economic climate is necessary. just because one industry is hot now doesn't mean it will be in 15 years so making a purely practical decision can leave you miserable in the future. of course, if you go into the fine arts it may well be hit or miss so you have to make sure you have a way to eat. overall, i think it is smart to pursue your passion even if that only happens as a side endeavor to a 9-5 job in a related field if possible. squelching your passions is a good recipe for unhappiness. as [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] said entrepreneurship is a great way to go too. i come from an extended family of successful entrepreneurs. they all worked very hard but got to be their own bosses doing things they loved.

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
Even an archaeologist/anthropologist can make some big bucks going into forensics, which is in par with most of those top 10 degrees.
Unfortunately, that is like the most oversaturated field in anthropology right now (THANKS, BONES). And most states only have 2-3 forensic anthropologists, tops, and they're usually just called to consult rather than full-time workers. It's easier to get a job in arch as an osteologist (basically forensic anth but on archaeological remains) than it is forensics. JPAC-SIL is a huge full-time employer of forensic anth if you can get on there and move to Hawai'i, though.

Qre:us

To be completely honest, I know this philosophy is fairly widespread among employers but I think it's fundamentally wrong. I learnt far more during an insurance / financia modeling 3 months course than during years of data-entry like work. As long as college courses have at least 50% of a "practical" bent, they can be far more valuable than work experience.

Where I live, there are two broad streams: colleges and universities. Colleges set you up for certification in an application-based field (generally), while, a lot of undergraduate courses in universities, are only just the first stepping stone. You need something *more* to really enter that field. Either a masters or, even, PhD. Unless the university degree is application based from the start (like Engineering, Computer Science, etc), all other university majors, as an undergraduate degree, are pretty useless in terms of translating to "hireability".

Which is where the experience from internship, or doing an undergrad degree with a thesis component, or summer jobs that are aligned to that field, really help. Not just with giving one better prospect after graduating from undergraduate studies, but with admission to post-graduate studies.

For example, a B.Sc. in Life Sciences from an university - what is that? What does that really prepare one for, in terms of skills to offer to the world? All the people I know who had that degree, chose it to have a clean, simple undergrad where they could better achieve higher GPA because their ultimate goal was med school.

One must know what they're doing with their degree, and whether a degree from an university is even worth it - for their ultimate goal in life. If one has the funds, great, get a degree in Philosophy, but not all can afford to choose passion/interest over practicality. Then, there's also the issue that at that age, not everyone has a clear, long-term plan about their life all mapped out, or what the hell they'll do the next day, let alone for the rest of their life. I know I changed my major twice, because I was still figuring myself out. Until I finally settled on something "practical".....

For that reason, my major for undergrad was something that prepared me for my postgrad education, and because I didn't want to compromise my interests, as well, all my electives, I used to get a minor in my field of interest (English). Having my cake and eating it too, so to speak....

Then, there are people, one even a friend of mine (much older but we were classmates), who are perpetual students. Getting one degree after the other, less-so for the sake of the degree and to enter the workforce, but more to just keep learning. It's commendable but not a realistic choice for everyone. My friend has an undergrad degree in a science-related field, a nursing degree, he is an MD, he also has a masters in another science-related field, then another PhD in the same field he got his masters, and is thinking about another PhD degree (Philosophy of Science or something). I don't even know........

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Of course, but I can't see how a data entry job could truly help your skill development regarding everything you say.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unfortunately, that is like the most oversaturated field in anthropology right now (THANKS, BONES). And most states only have 2-3 forensic anthropologists, tops, and they're usually just called to consult rather than full-time workers. It's easier to get a job in arch as an osteologist (basically forensic anth but on archaeological remains) than it is forensics. JPAC-SIL is a huge full-time employer of forensic anth if you can get on there and move to Hawai'i, though.

Lol, I think that is why lawyer and medicine/doctor isn't up on that list because it is either over-saturated (lawyers), or it requires insurance/is really hard to get into (the last time i check, lots of doctors have to get insurance just in case a patient screams malpractice.) The ones that do make large amounts of money are few and far-between compared to the people who only make an average salary compared to the time, money, and effort put into the degree.

Also, it seems that the amount an osteologist gets by being employed still seems quite decent compared to what Forbes is telling us about anthropologists.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Based on my experience (detailed below), I offer this advice:

- Develop an awareness of how much schooling you are ready to take on moving forward. If you love school, and don't feel the push to be done with it soon, then doing a major in a field that will require further degrees to have a career is fine. If you want to get out into the real world soon after college, tailor your degree to be more practical.

- Choose a major based on a compromise of what interests you and what actually exists in the real world. You could also tack on a more realistic minor, or vice-versa. You can also augment with volunteering, interning, research, and part-term jobs. College is an extraordinary place - nowhere is opportunity so concentrated! However, it also is expensive and easy to use it as a giant playground instead of a launching pad.

I really think the idea of a "gap year" (or two!) is wise, and wish I had taken one myself. Actually having to function in the real world gives you a far better perspective on why college is useful and how to use it. It also gives you perspective on learning to tailor your idealistic dreams to the real world job market so that you can realistically attain a life you want to live.

My personal biggest problem with college was that I put all my eggs in the basket of the advice to just wait and that my calling/passion would come to me if I tried enough different things. I am a natural dabbler and this advice made me so happy - I took and enjoyed everything from ancient Chinese lit to the physics of music to yoga. But I never did find my calling. I ended up majoring in Psych for superficial reasons, which is a pet interest but not a calling, and not a very practical one at that. What has saved my ass in the real world has been my volunteering, interning, and on-campus job experience.

As for the list of "best majors"... If they are up your interest alley, then by all means, go for it. But it's just as big of a waste get a practical degree in something you dislike. If you love English, get your degree in that and also get a teaching licensure. Or major in English and minor in Accounting. Or major in English and do a summer internship at the Library of Congress and work in your school's historical archives collection. Or major in English and do Pre-Law. Whatever you do... tie the string between your dreams and the real world. Don't let either end come undone.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I have my B.S. in chemistry, and am working on a PhD in organic chemistry currently. The sad truth of the matter is, a B.S. in chemistry is becoming more and more useless over time, and a MS or PhD is almost a requirement now adays.

I'm curious, what can you possibly do with a B.S in any science where you live 'cause all I can do with my B.S in biochemistry is work as a laboratory technician and it pays terribly and lacks job security. IMHO, they've always been pretty useless without postgraduate study.

á´…eparted

passages
I'm curious, what can you possibly do with a B.S in any science where you live 'cause all I can do with my B.S in biochemistry is work as a laboratory technician and it pays terribly and lacks job security. IMHO, they've always been pretty useless without postgraduate study.

Same essentially. There isn't much difference between chemistry and biochemistry B.S. degrees in regards to the work you can get. Only difference is the type of lab work and labs you get into are.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Based on my experience (detailed below), I offer this advice:

- Develop an awareness of how much schooling you are ready to take on moving forward. If you love school, and don't feel the push to be done with it soon, then doing a major in a field that will require further degrees to have a career is fine. If you want to get out into the real world soon after college, tailor your degree to be more practical.

- Choose a major based on a compromise of what interests you and what actually exists in the real world. You could also tack on a more realistic minor, or vice-versa. You can also augment with volunteering, interning, research, and part-term jobs. College is an extraordinary place - nowhere is opportunity so concentrated! However, it also is expensive and easy to use it as a giant playground instead of a launching pad.

I really think the idea of a "gap year" (or two!) is wise, and wish I had taken one myself. Actually having to function in the real world gives you a far better perspective on why college is useful and how to use it. It also gives you perspective on learning to tailor your idealistic dreams to the real world job market so that you can realistically attain a life you want to live.

My personal biggest problem with college was that I put all my eggs in the basket of the advice to just wait and that my calling/passion would come to me if I tried enough different things. I am a natural dabbler and this advice made me so happy - I took and enjoyed everything from ancient Chinese lit to the physics of music to yoga. But I never did find my calling. I ended up majoring in Psych for superficial reasons, which is a pet interest but not a calling, and not a very practical one at that. What has saved my ass in the real world has been my volunteering, interning, and on-campus job experience.

As for the list of "best majors"... If they are up your interest alley, then by all means, go for it. But it's just as big of a waste get a practical degree in something you dislike. If you love English, get your degree in that and also get a teaching licensure. Or major in English and minor in Accounting. Or major in English and do a summer internship at the Library of Congress and work in your school's historical archives collection. Or major in English and do Pre-Law. Whatever you do... tie the string between your dreams and the real world. Don't let either end come undone.
This is really great advice.

I completely and 100% agree with skylights about the value of doing 1-2 gap years after high school. It took me that long after college to figure out that the only thing I really want to do in life is to become a doctor. Then again, honestly, there's so much personal development and growth happening between the ages of 18 and 25 that I'm not really sure I could have figured it out any sooner.

In most fields, it's not such a bad thing at all. Of course, if you want to do anything in medicine, it's best to figure that out early because the training is soooooo long. If you want to have babies or be in a good position financially, then...yeah it's tough to make that all work.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If you love English, get your degree in that and also get a teaching licensure. Or major in English and minor in Accounting. Or major in English and do a summer internship at the Library of Congress and work in your school's historical archives collection. Or major in English and do Pre-Law. Whatever you do... tie the string between your dreams and the real world. Don't let either end come undone.

Yeah this is about how I feel exactly. Especially with student loan reform laws, getting a degree in something you like isn't so bad now-a-days like it has been in the very recent past. You just have to set yourself up for success and be smart about it--don't go to Harvard and NOT get scholarships. It's actually more economical to be super poor and reach for something like Harvard with scholarships than it is to just go to a state school and pay out of pocket. Have an aim of where you want to go--teaching, to D.C., to adult learning help for immigrants, to edit books or write books, etc. etc.

You can do and love poor paying jobs. People do it all the time, and it's fine AND necessary. You just have to be smarter about it. Don't get the luxury suite in an Ivy league college and not do any work to fill in the gaps. Don't leave a total debt monster mess because you put all your food on credit cards and ate your money away in a way where the government won't help you and a dog wouldn't even loan you a bone.

People just have to be smart about it. If you're going to be a surgeon, and you know that's your goal.. Yeah, you don't have to really worry about money after you get some experience under your belt. You just don't. But don't act like a surgeon when you're trying for a degree in teaching elementary school kindergartners.

Raffaella

bon vivant
My friend graduated from civil engineering very recently and she's struggling to find a job, apparently jobs are scarce in that field. I think she's been studying for 6 years. :/

I've heard B.S in life sciences referred to as "step-up degrees", too. They should sell undergraduate and postgraduate science as a package (8+ years for $50k+) but they lure you in with the prospect (not guarantee) of easily obtaining a position and then bombard you with the reality of it - applying for grants to maintain a career. You need to be a resourceful person to choose that path because the job security is low.

As for unpaid internships, I've done many and they've not made me any more hireable than the next person. All employers seem care about is the quantity and quality of paid employment independent of the degree and who I'm connected to. Networking is crucial because it facilitates the search process for them (and you, of course) since they don't want someone they've never met/aren't connected to. That's how I easily got my first job and thankfully, the HR team is going to give me a good reference for my next job.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've got two out of ten as well. One of which is the top worst to have (and I have two degrees in that field!)

Do I get a prize? No? Crippling despair? Oh, I have enough already, thanks.

Three out of ten (English, history and liberal arts / Latin) - no degree yet, but working on it (and hoping to get finished with them soon), although English for me counts as a foreign language, so it might be a little different.

As others have said, the importance of degrees varies considerably, depending upon whether you're looking to work on your own, or for an employer. Jobs for freelance historians are few and far between (although some probably get by), but for me, it's always been clear that I was going to earn my money by getting some sort of salary, and I don't have a problem with it. I've found that I enjoy teaching very much, and getting money for what you want to do anyway is even better.

If you're interested in jobs that offer a good perspective anyway, or if you're the type that doesn't care anyway what you do as long as you have a good job, then fine. In all other cases, you have to compromise between what you want and what pays your bills. I thought of getting a PhD in linguistics, and I still have that goal. But seeing how other people are struggling through their doctoral thesis for years on end, just to find themselves in underpaid (and uncertain) jobs has made me change my mind of not pursuing that carreer any time soon, and only to work on it once I have found a secure job. In some areas, learning really isn't any guarantee that your investment will pay off.