• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physical vs. Mental Labor

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
mental labor is like getting a boner to me...but only if it is the stuff i like which i would if i were gonna do a maters in it

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd rather do physical labor than mental labor.
I can work all day physically.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
What is meant by mental work? Like homework, or just thinking to solve a problem?

79x

For the purpose of my argument I would say a mental worker would be eg. an office worker and a physical worker would be an electrician.

I know what I'd rather do ;o)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Mental thanks, thumbs down to physical.
Who has a shorter life span the person with physical labor or the person with mental labor.
While physical labor is good sometimes, can be fatal as an occupation depends what is being done.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Mental thanks, thumbs down to physical.
Who has a shorter life span the person with physical labor or the person with mental labor.
While physical labor is good sometimes, can be fatal as an occupation depends what is being done.

That just means you're working MORE over time!

Enjoy being my slave. :devil:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Physical labor is FUN!
Well I enjoy it anyway....
I always feel well and complete after I've done some physical labor.
Like now that its winter, I enjoy going out with my sister (because our dads been gone) and chopping wood for our stove and hauling it all in. (we live in the middle of the Ozarks and don't really have a working heater).
I get a weird satisfaction knowing that I worked my body. I don't necessarily get a satisfaction from working my brain.

lookingglassworld

MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
3w4
I take pleasure in mental and physical accomplishments. Though I do know what you mean about the satisfaction physical labor brings. Balance is the key.:yes:

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can't decide which is more difficult, to be honest. However, the condition of one usually affects the other in my experience. If I've done something that is mentally fatiguing my body usually follows suit (and vice-versa).

I have a deep respect for those who make a living via physical labor. It's something I don't think I am personally fit for. My father is a blue-collar worker; he works for an electric company as a lineman. He works outside 5 days a week (not counting on-calls), hot or cold, rain or shine. I probably would have collapsed and died if I were in his position. (Oddly enough, he likes his job lol)

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
intellectual effort can be quite draining for me, especially when its something that does not naturally arouse my curiosity\ interest. On the other hand though, intellectual effort at my own leisure does not tax me. Recently, I've been self studying Differential Equations course because I need it to accomplish another goal of mine, after about 5hrs of straight study, I feel really mentally drained and empty. I need change once in a while, I can't follow a routine for a very long period as such lifestyle taxes me very heavily. I think I'm naturally more suited for intellectual labor.