User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    How's that? Without physical labourers doing the grunt work of society, there wouldn't be any way for us 'thinker' types to do our thing, no? We'd be too busy just surviving - growing food, keeping our houses working etc.
    But without the thinkers to invent the technology physical laborers use, they'd be sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

MBTI
    XNXP

To have to do repetitive mental work like calling up people all day long, and pitching them something that few people will want, is tough; because one would have to stay on their toes the entire time.....for that rare person who's like "Hmmm....tell me more. How much is this anyway ? "
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Societies have always needed people to grow food and build houses and all that stuff - and they needed it before modern technological advances, too. Someone drove those oxen. Someone carted those logs to the site of the house. It's emancipation from physical labour that has allowed human beings as a species to devote so much time to thinking (a good thing, imo), but I strongly object to the idea that one is more important than the other.

As I said - if you or I had to grow our own food and build our own houses (and then defend them from intruders/critters), we wouldn't have a lot of time to read philosophy. Supermarkets, for example, make my life a *hell* of a lot easier than it would be without them. And someone runs those supermarkets, someone grows the food they sell, someone drives the trucks with the food in them to the stores, someone extracts the oil from the ground and someone pumps the gas that runs the trucks.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I couldn't stand a job that was purely one or the other. I prefer a 50/50 balance.

But without the thinkers to invent the technology physical laborers use, they'd be sitting there twiddling their thumbs.
    Sure, there are always people who don't want to think. And prefer a purely physical job. But I would like to think a great majority prefers a combination of the two.

Additionally, I would be willing to bet that the most important technological advances were made by people who weren't afraid to get their hands dirty and actually build something. To prove whether or not it worked.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I do mental labor, and I look down on physical laborers.
    In much the same way that a self-reliant man looks down on a catered man.

Personally, I find physical work to be much more freeing and satisfying than mental labor. Afterwards, I find that I gain a certain appreciation for the world, as well as a spiritual connection.

I'd rather just play.

Physical work is satisfying because of the concrete results.
    Knowledge work can be a drag because of ambiguous goals.

Where's the finish line?

A combination of the two is best and most satisfying for me.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Oooh thank the lawd. I thought this was going to be a one-woman defense squad in here.

Habba - go further with your beliefs...spell it out for me.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Habba - go further with your beliefs...spell it out for me.
    Mental workers are what separates the men from the animals.

Well, not really, but what I meant is that physical labor is usually much easier to learn than mental labor. There are rarely any university departments for learning "physical labor"-professions.

If one would remove the physical laborers, effects would be far more immediate than with removing mental laborers, but the mental ones are the ones that drive our societies forward.

Physical labor is also more simple. You do your job for eight hours a day, and then you go home and rest. Your job ends when you throw the gloves away. But with mental labor, there are no gloves to throw away. It is very difficult to get your mind off the work, especially when stressed.

I personally see physical workers less intelligent and less ambitiousful. Their jobs are easier to learn and they are easier to be replaced.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, not really, but what I meant is that physical labor is usually much easier to learn than mental labor.
    Huh. This certainly isn't true for me. I just couldn't do a job that involved serious physical labour, but most people can apply themselves to a university program, especially at an undergrad level.

I personally see physical workers less intelligent and less ambitiousful.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd rather be told to do something with my body than with my mind.
    It's because mental activity is more important to me that I prefer physical labor. A lot of it is so monotonous that I can easily think of something else while I'm doing it. On the other hand, I can't handle the requirements of mental labor. I agonize over feeling like my thoughts are being forced or controlled.
    I feel the same. Physical labour I can get fit, and strong, and just do stuff, and my mind is free to wander.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.