User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on what kind of labour and whether or not I can make it look like I'm being productive when I'm actually not. Usually this goes into the physical labour category unless it's a task that requires specific, tedious meassures to complete it. If I'm familar with what I'm doing then I'd prefer mental labour. My work ethic also depends on how important I find my task to be.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

Sniffles

Well I do physical labor for a living, and I certainly can tell you that it's extremely exhausting and certainly affects your mental capabilities. After work it's often hard for me to form a coherent thought.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Physical labour sucks balls, but when I am boss of the wolrd, I will demand that all men between the ages of 14 and 65 engage in it all day, every day. Because then they will look good in their white-t-shirts-and-jeans uniforms (that all of them will be legally required to wear).
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well I do physical labor for a living, and I certainly can tell you that it's extremely exhausting and certainly affects your mental capabilities. After work it's often hard for me to form a coherent thought.
    I worked as a brickie's labourer for nine months.

It is continuously demanding physical work all day. But very quickly you get into the swing of it. And it gives you a kind of high all day.

And after work you are completely exhausted and all you want is a steak and a beer and sleep.

It was well paid and I had nothing to spend my money on, so I saved quite a bit.

But the complete physical exhaustion made it impossible to pursue my intellectual interests.

So today I sit in the library and look back with surprise and pleasure at my time at hard physical labour.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I do mental labor, and I look down on physical laborers. Especially those who are whining that they their jobs are being taken over by machines. If you can be replaced by a machine, your work wasn't much to begin with.

And I do hate physical labor myself. It's just so trivial and mind numbing. My mind has an ADHD, and won't settle down unless it's given something to crack.

Hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm the kind of person who, when faced with physical labor, would rather spend 10x more time mentally laboring on ways to avoid or lessen the physical labor, than just get the physical labor over with. Though physical activity + fun, I like.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I do mental labor, and I look down on physical laborers.
    Although I personally dislike physical labour (I'm physically lazy, and I know and admit it) I don't in any way look down on those who do it. In fact in many ways I look up to them, I think. It takes a special kind of constitution to go to work every day, day in day out, and work their asses off. Also, we in the west do still rely on physical labourers for many important things (garbagemen, construction workers, treeplanters, farmers - for some examples). I dunno, something in me reacts badly to anyone looking down on physical labourers. Their work is just as important as the ones who do the mental labour - in some ways, more important.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Their work is just as important as the ones who do the mental labour - in some ways, more important.
    And in many more ways, less important.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Physical labor is important, but it's often cheap and expendable. You can find construction workers everywhere, but you can't do that with thinkers.

MBTI
    ENTJ

And in many more ways, less important.
    How's that? Without physical labourers doing the grunt work of society, there wouldn't be any way for us 'thinker' types to do our thing, no? We'd be too busy just surviving - growing food, keeping our houses working etc.

You can find construction workers everywhere, but you can't do that with thinkers.
    I don't think I understand what you mean by this...are you saying there are less thinkers, in terms of numbers, than construction workers? Overall? In my crowd, I'd be hard pressed to find anybody who could even build a coffee table or fix a car, but we could all talk about the Enlightenment with you for hours. I also don't think that being a construction worker = not a thinker, or that being a philosopher = unable to build something with your hands. Often, but not always.