User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

In my Personally opinion....I think both are exausting in terms of extremes....I think if you required to be so physically involved to accomplish something...thats very draining....Also I think if u have to use too much of your mind in something then its very draining as well...Me personally, I"m all about balance, I like jobs that require just as much physical labor as their is thinking..

Also for me, I live in a very agricultural/craftsmanship region of the country, and I think for a long time people put more of an ephasis on phyiscal labor being way more of a challenge... ALso I think Gender roles plays huge in it when it comes to societys views on which things are more difficult....I think they expect the physical nature to come relatively easy to males in general, and more of the thinking/contemplating for females. But overall I really do believe it just depends on where u live and who u are as a person... Society for a long time as just excepted a "universal" idea thats suppose to fit everyone, rather than looking at people individually.
    "People often Find out the truth, when its too late!!!"

Introverted (I) 78.79% Intuitive (N) 61.54% Feeling (F) 65.85% Judging (J) 60.53%

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    I tend to use mental labor to get out of physical labor. How can I apply the most leverage to this situation to achieve the goals I want and work the least?
    Yes. Agreed.

Also, mental and physical labor will both include easy and difficult tasks for most people. For example, a person could be an expert in rocket science but have little ability to grasp philosophy, in which they may have been assigned an in depth 10 page essay.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    I HATE every kind of labor, shit. If I'm straining myself mentally, it better be because I'm working towards something I really care about. If I'm straining myself physically, I'll lose all my energy, but at least I can usually day dream while I work. My ideal situation would be 25% physical labor, 25% mental labor, and 50% screw around time.
    HAHAHAHA!!!! Sweet!

If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Physical work is more tiring for me, but it is almost always a "good tired."

Mental work is rarely exhausting; the only way I can tell I am mentally exhausted is when I start noticing that I am making a lot of mistakes. So, sometimes, I could be mentally exhausted and not notice.

What does lack-of-sleep count as? Sometimes, I don't sleep much. I know I haven't had enough sleep when I am irritable, and irrational and/or melancholy.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd rather be told to do something with my body than with my mind. It's because mental activity is more important to me that I prefer physical labor. A lot of it is so monotonous that I can easily think of something else while I'm doing it. On the other hand, I can't handle the requirements of mental labor. I agonize over feeling like my thoughts are being forced or controlled.
    That is... remarkably chord-striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    I tend to use mental labor to get out of physical labor. How can I apply the most leverage to this situation to achieve the goals I want and work the least?
    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Yes. Agreed.
    Also, mental and physical labor will both include easy and difficult tasks for most people. For example, a person could be an expert in rocket science but have little ability to grasp philosophy, in which they may have been assigned an in depth 10 page essay.
    I agree with both ideas introduced.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

12 hours is a bit too much time, that's imho where the problem lies. I prefer some balance between the two; when I was trying to become a pro cyclist, I'd train for 6-7 continuous hours a day - after a year like that, I considered intellectual labor as a kind of blessing. However, of course, whenever I am excessively busy with "intellectual" tasks, I tend to long for more physical time. I usually try to reach my quota of tiredness by playing a sport and/or going running/to the gym on an almost daily basis. An excessive imbalance towards intellectual tasks tend to make me very nervous.

As far as intellectual vs physical and being considered better/worse: I think it mostly depends on how much skill you need to perform the given intellectual or physical tasks. There are some desk jobs that aren't considered particularly demanding in terms of ability (I'm thinking about data entry), which could maybe be compared to the most basic physical job (say, loading/unloading stuff). Yet there are plenty of physical types of work that require an incredibly high level of skill, almost impossible to reach for a good number of people (elite athletes, for example).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I can handle very light physical labor. I could do things like restock a soda machine, filing, copying, making coffee, etc. without batting an eye. I think I prefer mental labor, though. It just seems easier to me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by IrishStallion819 View Post
    In my Personally opinion....I think both are exausting in terms of extremes....I think if you required to be so physically involved to accomplish something...thats very draining....Also I think if u have to use too much of your mind in something then its very draining as well...Me personally, I"m all about balance, I like jobs that require just as much physical labor as their is thinking..
    Ditto.

This is one of the reasons why I want to be an enviromental scientist. Hopefully there will be a nice balance between the outdoor activities of field work and the intellectual stimulation of scientific analysis. I probably lean more towards mental labour but I've decided that some physical activity actually increases your mental abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCatalyst View Post
    Which do you think is more difficult/exhausting? Do you think that physical labor is looked down upon?
    Physical labor, but, that's cuz when I reach my limit, it is one of an actual physical pain of the body. While when I reach the limits of my mental labour, it becomes a challenge I'd most often willingly take up, to see myself push further.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Depends on the field, I'd still say mental labor thought. As it is what I highly prefer to do. But I actually enjoy it, so it doesn't come of as exhausting to me.

General physical labor though, I just consider to be boring, thus exhausting to do. Although my body doesn't require me to lose extra energy physically, because I'm already doing a lot of physical training on a daily basis for several years now, so I guess I already fit most of your definition of balance.

Anyway, I'd say that exhausting labor is the kind of labor that one perceives to be dull or boring. The type of labor one finds interesting is automatically easier.