First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Oh, I don't know, great way to meet friends, structure, sense of brotherhood-hazing and extreme experiences bring people closer and it doesn't bother me. TONS of fun parties, young co-eds basically landing in your lap by the dozens. Insane stories to tell when you're older. Lifelong networking, and connections. I don't think I know a single friend that was in a frat that doesn't have a great job.

Just to name a few.
    What a mortifying description.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I wasn't but I was in the football (well, soccer) team and university's newspaper. Not that really gave me any benefit in life whatsoever, but it was fun times.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

In my part of the country, fraternities/sororities aren't a thing and even where they are, they are less of a thing than in the States, from what I've observed at least.

Living in Madison, Wisconsin was interesting - saw frat houses, sororities for the first time. I guess maybe the business connection are useful for later. For everything else, it embodies my idea of hell. I would have hated being part of a sorority, nor would I have considered dating the type of guys that wanted to be in a fraternity generally.

I have a feeling it wouldn't be a huge draw for the introverted NF types.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

frat boys are the corniest dudes in existence.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    frat boys are the corniest dudes in existence.
    As a whole, probably. But I've met several that were well rounded, cool individuals. Though they didn't strike me as the type to join a frat to begin with.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I was in a sorority and enjoyed it very much.

I had a negative opinion of sororities and fraternities when I entered college, but I befriended a number of girls who were in one, and I started going to their events. I joined later in my college years, had a great experience - lots of friendship and leadership - and still keep in touch with many sisters. I'm an advisor for a new chapter now.

What I have learned from talking with sorority and fraternity members is that quality and type of Greek experience varies widely based on location, school, size, age, organization, and so on. I think the small size of and generally accepting attitude at my school made it a good fit for me.

If anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer based on my experience and what I have learned from others. For the record, it seems to me that there is just as much variety in intelligence, ambition, and seriousness in Greek life as in the general population. I have sisters who are now doctors and lawyers and others who are still living in college apartments and getting drunk daily.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I was in a sorority and enjoyed it very much.

I had a negative opinion of sororities and fraternities when I entered college, but I befriended a number of girls who were in one, and I started going to their events. I joined later in my college years, had a great experience - lots of friendship and leadership - and still keep in touch with many sisters. I'm an advisor for a new chapter now.

What I have learned from talking with sorority and fraternity members is that quality and type of Greek experience varies widely based on location, school, size, age, organization, and so on. I think the small size of and generally accepting attitude at my school made it a good fit for me.

If anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer based on my experience and what I have learned from others. For the record, it seems to me that there is just as much variety in intelligence, ambition, and seriousness in Greek life as in the general population. I have sisters who are now doctors and lawyers and others who are still living in college apartments and getting drunk daily.
    Did you have to do any hazing? < you don't have to go into details if you don't want. Did it feel like a cult?

Were you just lucky in the people you met, or would you recommend houses of that nature to anyone?

What were the negatives? What were the positives, beyond what you've already mentioned?

How would more introverted people fair?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Me in a frat? AHAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one. I'd sooner chew sawdust. The whole idea of a frat, pretty much everything about it; from the whole "brotherhood" thing, the community service projects, constant community involvement, constant "unspoken" requirements, inescapeable social network, often focus on partying/drinking, secret society, constant contests for fun (and sometimes for not), lack of personal space/independence, etc. is COMPLETELY repulsive to me. Not in a "this is bad" way, but in a "everything about frats is stuff I do not like" kind of way. Gag me with a spoon.

Hell. No. Was not part of one, never wanted to join one. You couldn't pay me to join one.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

I tried to start shit with some frat boys once. Well, really, they started shit by insulting a friend at a party and I went all vigilante. My friends had to hold me back and drag me out while the frat boys threatened to call campus security.