User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    Wow - you seem to have a better idea than I do about where you're headed after graduation. [My brother and I just attended our graduation ceremony yesterday. My brother has graduated now, while I will officially get my diploma once I complete my summer courses this year.]

Anyhow, I agree with cascadeco on this matter. And congrats for making it this far!
    Thing is, I don't feel as prepared as I probably am

All the things I listed are options, but I really don't know which one will I end up following through on, or whether I am able to start them once I graduate.

I'm generally a bad...bad... worrywart.

And thanks I'm just glad I am done with college for the time being (well... not yet but soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Also, don't cry...though I understand...I did much worse than cry after it.

9 months out, I feel it getting better. Everyday I wake up and realize it's better than I thought.
    It was a joke. It is like, a lot of people who become unemployed for long periods of time tend to get reallllllllly depressed. I don't want to get that far, but I couldn't help but entertain that thought. I'll probably be overwhelmingly anxious before I end up crying XD

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

The canvassing job doesn't sound like a good idea to me, mostly because, from what you've said about it, it isn't fun OR useful. The fellowship sounds like the best idea if you want to launch right into work -- otherwise, now is the time for off time, if you really really want it.

What sort of volunteering were you thinking of doing?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Re: job searching, USAJobs is fine -- last year when I job searched after graduation, I mostly frequented that site and Idealist. Ended up finding my current (salaried) position on Craigslist, believe it or not!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The canvassing job doesn't sound like a good idea to me, mostly because, from what you've said about it, it isn't fun OR useful. The fellowship sounds like the best idea if you want to launch right into work -- otherwise, now is the time for off time, if you really really want it.

What sort of volunteering were you thinking of doing?
    There are two of them that might be able to advance me into a paid job that I want to be able to do one of them. So those two are the ones I plan to be doing:
    Since elections and campaign season doesn't officially end until December, that is the sort of volunteer experience that I want until I can get a paid job.

The other is the fellowship program where I work under the organization/advocacy group for ~3 months and then might be hired 1 month after.

Both can hold me long enough so that I can start applying to teach abroad in November-December and everything gets finalized in April (this is something I want to get out of the way.)

But those are really just considering the best possible outcomes.

And yeah, I was looking at USAjobs and was sort of perplexed job searching-wise. I had to look for certain numbers and hope they appeared for my skill level or slightly lower, and most of the time, they aren't.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I actually have a few programming books that I have during my Computer Science days. And to my knowledge this site has been my go-to site when it comes to C++.

I plan to learn C while I am using linux as an OS, because a lot of programming that is done on Linux uses a lot of C programming.

But that is good list because I actually wanted to get into computer graphics while I was majoring in Computer Science. So I'll be looking at that site sometime in the distant future.

It's ok to not know everything about where are you going or doing in life. I think that is one of the lessons I seem to have learned while in college, or at least recently while asking around.

It seems, most of the people I've met, even the very bright ones, have some idea of where they are heading. But in the gist of things, they don't know exactly where they were going to go to or where they will be heading towards in the future.

A professor of mine asked a few of my classmates and I what were our plans after graduating (we were turning in papers at her office.) Although I gave her the goals I've listed on TypoC, I basically told her that those were best case scenarios, and I really didn't know where I was going after that. I didn't know if I'll be getting a job with the campaign or advocacy group or if I'll be teaching abroad (she talked about how a lot of people she knew that taught abroad never came back .)

One classmate, even though he is graduating with Cum Laude, said that he really didn't know...and that any job will do until he finds any job related to his major (Criminal Justice.) Other than that...he kind of doesn't know. I'll be having lunch with him and a few others tomorrow to see what's up and what we'll be doing after graduation.

An acquaintance I haven't seen for three years (next school year will be his last) had a conversation with him, he said he doesn't know either, but most likely something related to his field (Computer Science.) I had a conversation with him about me learning programming while I figured things out and that maybe in a few years.... I might go back to college to get another degree. Said that I became part of a group on campus and that I might seem him

On my way up the elevator, a school administrator congratulated me in graduating. She said that a lot of people were like that..... happy to graduate and leave but end up like..... "I wanna be back to college... real life is horrible" I kind of laughed with that message.