User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default How realistic is it to shoot for your dream job?

We're often told as children to shoot for our dreams and not to let anything hold us back, but as soon as we hit secondary education we're told to choose careers that are profitable and can sustain us in the long run.

Right now I'm majoring in Arts and Culture Journalism (after a lifetime of being pushed to do engineering by my dad), and I'm aware that there probably won't be many job opportunities in my field, and the ones I do receive most likely won't be the best paying. I've been wondering whether or not I should pick up another major in something more "practical" or if I should mainly focus my energy into what I'm doing now.

What has been your experience in this area?

"Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh

johari/nohari

infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

It depends on what you want most, your dream, or comfort and financial stability. Personally I choose the latter. My dream has changed throughout my life anyways, so long as Im doing something which puts my innate capacities to use, rather than flipping fries, Im happy; especially since I aspire to be financially stable, so as to better enjoy life outside of work.

MBTI
    yupp

My dream job is to time travel so not very for me
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Honestly, it depends on the realistic expectations of having a dream job, and your willingness to put in effort.

If your dream is to be a CEO, or a senator--you can definitely work on that. It's possible. I don't know if you'll succeed, but it is possible, and quite do-able. People do it all the time.

But if your dream job is something vague... Like being an artist, for example. There are so many kinds of artists. There are people that do just art for a living--and people that do art for fun because they don't want the pressure of financial stability and food getting in the way of their creative nature.

But don't go to school for something 'more practical' unless you want to work something more practical. No, journalism won't land you a ton of awesome jobs right off the bat. But that doesn't mean good job opportunities don't exist. You'll have to put in a lot of your own leg work and time to land something decent, and there will be many days of careful budgeting and spending un-paid volunteer time making a resume and reputation for yourself.

But if you want it, and that's what you're aiming to do, and you work hard.. you can have it. That's not at all an issue. You might need to do things no one else is willing to do--and that's usually what stands people out from the crowds--but you can do them. Engineering pays a lot--but you're also working as an engineer. If you don't like, at all, what you're doing to get to that point, chances are you won't love it in the world field either. If you like what you're doing in school, get involved in it.

Nick Saban, a pretty famous football coach around here, literally forgot his own birthday. He breathes football. That's what he does. And it shows in his work. If you dream of working as a particular anything-at-all, you have to make that your life and passion.

For me, no single job will provide that passion. My passion is traveling, and I'm not fighting the plethora of people trying to scramble for traveling jobs. I'd rather get a viable job I can pick up and drop off at anywhere in the US and some of the world, and travel in my spare time. I just went with a job that allows me to travel (both financially and schedule-wise) that I don't hate (i.e. helping people and getting proficient at tasks and drills). It all depends on what you're dreaming about.

Even if you don't breathe your career, it's possible to get a decent one somewhere doing something. Working for a magazine, newspaper, etc. and writing reviews and interviewing people.. people are still highly entertained by that stuff and people are starting to get more into culture. It's not impossible. So let's not think that. It's hard.. yes. but not impossible. Patience and persistence are virtues.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I think it's very important to have a plan B, as well as thinking about a safer, reasonable way of realising your dreams. Let me tell you my story, because I think it's directly relevant to all this.

A year or two ago, I wanted to become an academic philosopher. I was doing my Master's, thinking that I was working towards my dream. What I eventually found was that what it means to have a job as a philosopher was very different from being a philosophy student/enthusiast. I liked to think of ideas and talk about them in a friendly environment -- that's what I fell in love with as an undergrad (I would get major Ne highs and chills running down my back), and what I enjoyed as a tutor. It was the social bit of philosophy I adored -- a safe haven where insightful concepts could be shared -- an ENFP's dream. As an academic however, I would spend the vast majority of my job by myself -- struggling with the same few pages endlessly and writing my own shit well into the night. Therefore my dream of being a philosopher, the elements in philosophy I enjoyed, did not actually align with what the job of being a philosopher mostly required. See the difference? Now I know that academia's not for me, and really wished I would've taken more practical papers like economics, law, and statistics, so I could package them together with my philosophy degree to get a public policy job. I'm going back to school next semester to do a graduate diploma in stats. So as difficult as it may be, you have to ask yourself, Is this really my dream? Is this really what I want to do as a career? And what if I'm wrong?

My dream now is to be a great writer, and to become that creative person I always wished to be. Here's the important bit though -- I'm not just going to drop everything, maybe get a degree in English, and do nothing but write. That's not a realistic way of sustaining the dream. Instead, I'm going to try and find a career which I still enjoy, one where I could go out see things, learn how the world works more, be financially secure, and still have time for my own projects (which in New Zealand, isn't hard. Most people work reasonable hours and still have the weekends to themselves). All of those things will still help me as a writer, directly or indirectly. Right now, the plan is to get involved with policy, but hey, if I get a chance to become, say, the editor of a magazine, or to help run a community project promoting kids to be creative, I'd consider those too. Neil Gaiman -- one of the greatest authors in our time imo -- said his dream was always to make a creative career using his words, but the road to that dream was a marathon not a sprint. Your dream's like a distant mountain that you want to get to, and as long as the things in your life are taking you closer to that mountain, you're in good shape. Shoot for your dreams, but be thoughtful, be patient, and figure out the best way of getting there.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Freesia View Post
    We're often told as children to shoot for our dreams and not to let anything hold us back

What has been your experience in this area?
    I've gone for my dream job everytime and achieved it. My dream job has changed over the years but I never settled nor let praciticalities rule me. I'm exiting my latest dream career which has lasted 6yrs, and I'll give myself a 2 year transition strategy to acheive it. I desire to become a self employed artisan now and I'll get there. Just a matter if choosing a focus since I'm trained in many disciplines and lots of things interest me.

Your parents are letting their limitations set yours. They mean well but its their limitations. I remember my mother pouring cold water on every idea I had and yet I succeeded where she thought I was lost in fantasy and daydreams. They're not always right you know. But if you choose to not take their advice then you have to take responsibility for whatever outcome ensues. Which is fair.

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    It depends on what you want most, your dream, or comfort and financial stability. Personally I choose the latter. My dream has changed throughout my life anyways, so long as Im doing something which puts my innate capacities to use, rather than flipping fries, Im happy; especially since I aspire to be financially stable, so as to better enjoy life outside of work.
    I've never seriously considered this option, but it totally makes sense that you're goals change throughout life and that financial stability allows one to flow through the changes that much more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    My dream job is to time travel so not very for me

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But if your dream job is something vague... Like being an artist, for example. There are so many kinds of artists. There are people that do just art for a living--and people that do art for fun because they don't want the pressure of financial stability and food getting in the way of their creative nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I think it's very important to have a plan B, as well as thinking about a safer, reasonable way of realising your dreams. Let me tell you my story, because I think it's directly relevant to all this.

A year or two ago, I wanted to become an academic philosopher. I was doing my Master's, thinking that I was working towards my dream. What I eventually found was that what it means to have a job as a philosopher was very different from being a philosophy student/enthusiast. I liked to think of ideas and talk about them in a friendly environment -- that's what I fell in love with as an undergrad (I would get major Ne highs and chills running down my back), and what I enjoyed as a tutor. It was the social bit of philosophy I adored -- a safe haven where insightful concepts could be shared -- an ENFP's dream. As an academic however, I would spend the vast majority of my job by myself -- struggling with the same few pages endlessly and writing my own shit well into the night. Therefore my dream of being a philosopher, the elements in philosophy I enjoyed, did not actually align with what the job of being a philosopher mostly required. See the difference? Now I know that academia's not for me, and really wished I would've taken more practical papers like economics, law, and statistics, so I could package them together with my philosophy degree to get a public policy job. I'm going back to school next semester to do a graduate diploma in stats. So as difficult as it may be, you have to ask yourself, Is this really my dream? Is this really what I want to do as a career? And what if I'm wrong?
    This is my main problem; I (vaguely) know what I want, but I'm not sure what the best way to get there is. My end goal is to become writer, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get there. I purposely chose a major that was ambiguous enough that it encompassed many of my interests while still furthering me. I'm just afraid of working really hard in my current major only to realize that I didn't realize what I was getting into and being trapped in a career that I don't want to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I've gone for my dream job everytime and achieved it. My dream job has changed over the years but I never settled nor let praciticalities rule me. I'm exiting my latest dream career which has lasted 6yrs, and I'll give myself a 2 year transition strategy to acheive it. I desire to become a self employed artisan now and I'll get there. Just a matter if choosing a focus since I'm trained in many disciplines and lots of things interest me.
    I'm glad it's working out for you so far

Your parents are letting their limitations set yours. They mean well but its their limitations. I remember my mother pouring cold water on every idea I had and yet I succeeded where she thought I was lost in fantasy and daydreams. They're not always right you know. But if you choose to not take their advice then you have to take responsibility for whatever outcome ensues. Which is fair.
    This is true. I spent so many years fighting to do what I want and it's just now that I realize that I'm lost in terms of what I'm doing. I have a better understanding of what I don't want than what I actually do... I guess I'll have to find out how to do that for myself and prove them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But if you want it, and that's what you're aiming to do, and you work hard.. you can have it. That's not at all an issue. You might need to do things no one else is willing to do--and that's usually what stands people out from the crowds--but you can do them. Engineering pays a lot--but you're also working as an engineer. If you don't like, at all, what you're doing to get to that point, chances are you won't love it in the world field either. If you like what you're doing in school, get involved in it.

Nick Saban, a pretty famous football coach around here, literally forgot his own birthday. He breathes football. That's what he does. And it shows in his work. If you dream of working as a particular anything-at-all, you have to make that your life and passion.

For me, no single job will provide that passion. My passion is traveling, and I'm not fighting the plethora of people trying to scramble for traveling jobs. I'd rather get a viable job I can pick up and drop off at anywhere in the US and some of the world, and travel in my spare time. I just went with a job that allows me to travel (both financially and schedule-wise) that I don't hate (i.e. helping people and getting proficient at tasks and drills). It all depends on what you're dreaming about.

Even if you don't breathe your career, it's possible to get a decent one somewhere doing something. Working for a magazine, newspaper, etc. and writing reviews and interviewing people.. people are still highly entertained by that stuff and people are starting to get more into culture. It's not impossible. So let's not think that. It's hard.. yes. but not impossible. Patience and persistence are virtues.
    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    My dream now is to be a great writer, and to become that creative person I always wished to be. Here's the important bit though -- I'm not just going to drop everything, maybe get a degree in English, and do nothing but write. That's not a realistic way of sustaining the dream. Instead, I'm going to try and find a career which I still enjoy, one where I could go out see things, learn how the world works more, be financially secure, and still have time for my own projects (which in New Zealand, isn't hard. Most people work reasonable hours and still have the weekends to themselves). All of those things will still help me as a writer, directly or indirectly. Right now, the plan is to get involved with policy, but hey, if I get a chance to become, say, the editor of a magazine, or to help run a community project promoting kids to be creative, I'd consider those too. Neil Gaiman -- one of the greatest authors in our time imo -- said his dream was always to make a creative career using his words, but the road to that dream was a marathon not a sprint. Your dream's like a distant mountain that you want to get to, and as long as the things in your life are taking you closer to that mountain, you're in good shape. Shoot for your dreams, but be thoughtful, be patient, and figure out the best way of getting there.
    Thanks I will definitely take this to heart.

"Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh

johari/nohari

infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Right now I'm majoring in Arts and Culture Journalism (after a lifetime of being pushed to do engineering by my dad), and I'm aware that there probably won't be many job opportunities in my field...
    Personally I think you should immerse yourself in all the aspects of this degree that interest you. Narrow it down as to what it is about art, culture and journalism that keeps you focused there. When you've graduated grab a bag and globetrot seeking those aspects all around the world then I'm pretty sure the answer will be obvious to you. I'm guessing you're relatively young? Under 30? So check out what foreign temporary visas are accessible to you to enable you to do this. You can always hold down that boring safe job inbetween....

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

If you have a dream, go for it. Those of us who have none left will cheer you on, or condemn you, humanity is fickle like that.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

It may not be very realistic, but if everyone stops trying, no one would reach it and we'd all be the same. Who knows, maybe you're the one to be lucky. And believe me, it takes more luck than skill. Go for it, I know I will.
    4w5-9w1-5w4