User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram

Default The Leadership Thread

Hey guys!

This thread is dedicate to all things leadership related. As open-ended as that is, here are some prompts if you'd like some:

Are you comfortable in a leadership position?

How do YOU lead?

Got any advice on how to be an effective leader?

Who are the people who have shaped your leadership style?

What kind of leader do you enjoy working for/following? Do you have problems with certain types of leadership?

Post cool videos or articles (or recommendations) about leadership.

Open season. Sorry if this thread already exists, I didn't find any threads, but I am awful with the search function.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Do you mean a leader on the job or a leader in life ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Do you mean a leader on the job or a leader in life ?
    It can be either, but I technically did post it in academic/careers. I'm not too strict about my threads though

LadyLazarus

Meh, only if I care about the people I am leading, if not no I probably wouldn't want to lead/care enough to. Usually I prefer going off alone to either leading or following in regards to the later scenario.

How do YOU lead?
    Through example(if I can't/won't do it I would not make you do it) and my weird gentle assertiveness.

Don't be an asshole; people have feelings, listen to other's input once in a while multiple perspectives can be helpful, be kind, be understanding and be fair.

No one.

What kind of leader do you enjoy working for/following? Do you have problems with certain types of leadership?
    I would follow a leader I felt was genuinely kind, fair, and wise. I hate forced leadership and merciless/cruel leadership, both try to garner respect through fear, which is not something I approve of at all. IMO it's desperate and alludes to weakness as well as insecurity.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Post cool videos or articles (or recommendations) about leadership.
    http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/p...e/darkblue.htm

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Yup. I quite enjoy it and often seek positions if I become involved in something. Other times it sort of just falls into my lap. I'm naturally a "take charge" person in the vast majority of situations.

How do YOU lead?

Hard to describe really. One thing in particular is I want to make sure all bases are covered, all I's are dotted, all T's are crossed. No loose ends, everything clear and explicit. I try to anticpate all problems and address them before they occur. I often have lots of backups and alternatives should something fail, and they can be implemented quickly.

Communicate well! It's essential. Without this, you won't do well. This is not just a matter of disseminating information, but delivering it well. Your audience will have various ways of receiving what you're trying to say, and you have to modulate yourself the best you can to fit that.

Also, let others be themselves. If others don't feel like they can willingly be their own independent person with their own style it will never work. You also need to take the time to personally address individual who do well. This means a lot to them. Know your audience/workers and do the best you can to make them happy. Keeping happiness is paramount.

Teachers I have had in the past mostly. I have wanted to be a leader or the "boss" since I was a small child. When playing games I always wanted to be in charge and run things, crowd heard, etc.

Leaders who are overly harsh and do not forgive I can't work with. There are some who don't give a rats ass about any kind of intent, and to me intent matters a lot. Leaders who expect you to conform to the methods that work best for them, when it doesn't actually have any benefit or reason behind it for everyone else. Leaders who are cold. Meaning, it's all about work work work and nothing else. Never taking the time to enjoy light moments, have fun outside the context of the group, and build friendships and such is a big no no to me, and more often than not causes more harm than good.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I like when everyone gets a chance to lead, we all have our moments where we know more than everyone else. Leadership should be continuously democratic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    How do YOU lead?

Hard to describe really.
    I see what you did there.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I prefer a more supportive role, like right hand to the leader.

If I do have to lead though, I tend to select several 'lieutenants' for the specific traits they have that I need to get the job done and delegate to them, effectively making them the 'leader' in their field. Meanwhile, I'll run interference and check what they need to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. I'll also monitor their own minions to make sure everyone can do their job to the best of their ability and might coach here and there.

In essence, I still play support - the leaders just report to me so I can make the puzzle come together in the end.

And trust me, there is nothing quite like tricking those - for instance NTJ minions - who are trying to be respectful to your authority, yet are chomping at the bit to take over into actually stepping up and doing what they're good at without them realising it - or better, with them realising it yet being unable to help themselves
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

No, never. Leading has and possibly always will be, a quality I do not possess. I don't have a rational, clear head, healthy morality or logical thought process for any situation. In fact the best choice I have ever made in any situation is to get out the way and stay out the way while others do their things.

Ever see those mindless people in movies who run screaming and panicing? I'm fairly sure that would be me in most situations, even those that aren't disastrous.

How do YOU lead?

By immediately delegating to those more responsible, gifted and suited to whatever task the foolish moron who put me in charge decided to make me a leader of.

No one. I haven't actively made much of an effort to be a leader or perfect a leading style from anyone. If there was anyone who resembles my level of competency in leadership though, it would probably be Theon Greyjoy from Game of Thrones....right up to the part where my dick gets chopped off after I'm betrayed and knocked out by my men.

I enjoy a leader who isn't too hands on and doesn't hover. But leadership is, to me, about knowing what to do in a certain situation, in other words I see decent leadership as a quality of knowledge more than anything else. Too many people get into leadership positions who do not possess any real understanding of what it is they are leading people into.

I suppose that also covers the second question as well, but to add to that; people who deliberately abuse leadership positions for themselves, but who disguise it as some kind of altruistic benefit for the rest. Personal preference over knowing what the knock-on effect of a decision is.

It's not really about being nice, but making difficult decisions and carefully weighing up the odds, even in the heat of a moment where they have to be made quickly. I suppose I echo a point similar to @Haven's point, though mine is of different levels of knowledge for different situations having the sovereignty over different areas.

Democratic? Maybe, just as long as it's not me. Perhaps that's the issue though...I don't rate myself as some mighty sympathetic, but if I were to lead anyone I'd be incredibly aware of my responsibilities to those I was leading. I tend to think this is why the people who usually do lead aren't so sympathetic, since it gets in the way of decent decision making. Although it could also be the issue as to why so many who end up in such positions aren't suited to it and spend most of their time trying to acquire more power and influence.

In other words...most leaders are dicks...floppy flaccid...penises.

Be a dick...no really, caring about people gets them killed. Cold decisions get stuff done. And don't listen to anyone, if they can't follow your orders then they were never being led in the first place. You're at the top, right? Prove it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

WhoCares

Comfortable? Yes and No. Yes because I can pretty much do my own thing which is my favourite thing. No because people do random shit that pisses me off causing me to have to talk to them about it, and for them to just keep doing same thing and pissing me off again. It's a viscious circle. If it wasn't for other people, I'd be perfectly happy in my job. Welcome to management....

How? By example. I'm a big believer in gotta walk the walk. But of course most people have zero conscience these days so they just do whatever the hell they like anyway. It's not like I inspire anyone, or influence anyone, or really have any impact at all. Welcome to management....

Advice? No. I'm not an effective leader, despite pats on the back from higher ups. Beginning to think this whole 'leader' thing is a load of BS. Back in the day if you were the leader and someone did something stupid, you just ran a sword through their gut. Problem solved. Nowadays you've got to stroke ego's and cajole and make friends. So yeah, I totally suck at that. Which should come as a surprise to no-one.

Shaped by? No-one. My favourite leaders are known dicks so I don't try and emulate them. I mean if you're not inventing iPads and making billions you can't get away with well, this is my company so why don't you just fuck the hell off' kind of leadership style.What would be the point except to acquire more hate-mail than I already have and possibly become unemployed.

Enjoy following? Someone competent (go the INTJ stereotype). Of course by competent I mean having the ability to finish a job and achieve a desirable outcome. Most leaders I work for are far more interested in making pals on the job, acquiring networks and doing as little as possible. Which is really hard to appreciate. Mostly I just focus on my own tasks and try and ignore everyone else.

Most people aspire to being in a leadership position because they think it's about motivating, innovating and making a difference. If you are the CEO or similar then hell yeah, that's what it's about. Anywhere between floorsweeper and VIP though and leadership is all about being a mouthpiece for the company, taking the blame when things fuck up and doing a lot more paperwork for no extra pay. It's not all its cracked up to be.