User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

To me, good leadership is all about how much you're willing to do to take care of the people under you. In a professional setting, obviously, completion of the job has to come first but, even then, you should do everything you can to make the people under you the best that they can be. IMO, that's the real difference between leadership and just managing. I've seen a lot of people just use their authority to make things happen without trying to justify any "why" and it leads to power tripping and lack of thought. Once people realize that following you is actually better for them, their loyalty and efficacy will make everything easier for you.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Are you comfortable in a leadership position?

Yes. I seem to be less comfortable when I'm not in them.

How do YOU lead?

I set goals and an overall direction and then lead the implementation of small and purposeful tactical steps to achieve the desired end result. I'm not a "bing bang" kind of guy - it's more like a continuous persistent force that I excert. I like to get people's opinions on things and am a pretty collaborative leader. That being said, I will often make decisions and quickly implement them. I get a lot of enjoyment from helping people to develop and progress - seeing them be successful. I think I'm a pretty good mentor. I'm very good at understanding people's strengths and weaknesses and placing them in positions where they will excel and grow. I suck at providing detailed specific directions so when people need that, I have to find someone else to manage them.

Got any advice on how to be an effective leader?

Be a good listener. Also trust is the single most important thing. You can't lead effectively if you don't trust people or they don't trust you.

Who are the people who have shaped your leadership style?

The people I've led.

What kind of leader do you enjoy working for/following? Do you have problems with certain types of leadership?

Ones that allow me space and freedom and the the ability to assert initiative. I am not easily led. I have problems with leaders that micromanage especially about stupid things.

Post cool videos or articles (or recommendations) about leadership.

I recommend reading this book.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Hey guys!

This thread is dedicate to all things leadership related. As open-ended as that is, here are some prompts if you'd like some:
    If it has high visibility - no. If it is a small group working behind the scenes - yes.

How do YOU lead?
    As much as possible by example. I will also set broad goals/direction for the group, with input from others, and help people figure out the best way to contribute toward reaching the goals. I prefer then to turn them loose to do their thing, checking in occasionally to help and troubleshoot as necessary. I see one of my main functions as a leader to be enabling the people in my group to do their best, so we can all accomplish something.

Figure out what your own personal leadership style is, and how you can adapt it to typical situations, especially those you are likely to face in your life/career. It can be tempting to emulate leaders you respect or like, and while you can probably learn from them (even from poor leaders), you are not them and need to play to your own strengths.

Primarily good leaders who have created the kind of work enviroment I prefer. I see the benefits in getting things done, and want to provide that for people I lead. I have also learned alot by seeing bad leaders, and trying to understand exactly what is bad about what they do. This includes separating any personal dislike or style conflict from things they did that had actual adverse impact on reaching the organization's goals.

What kind of leader do you enjoy working for/following? Do you have problems with certain types of leadership?
    One who respects my ability and trusts me to get the job done with mimimal supervision. Also one who fields the politics and marketing of the organization so I don't have to. I don't do well with micromanagers either, but unfortunately have been working for one for the past year or so. Bad enough that I am now looking for another job.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    9w8

It depends on what I'm leading, but in my areas of expertise, yes.

How do YOU lead?
    example and inspiration.

be the kind of leader you would want to follow.
    Tecumseh, Crazy Horse, Jesus

What kind of leader do you enjoy working for/following
    ?

Those who recognize my gifts and give me the freedom to use them. Those who give me free reign.

Do you have problems with certain types of leadership?
    Those who see themselves as better than those they are leading.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Yes, provided that I have enough expertise in the critical areas to supervise work in that area.

How do YOU lead?
    I choose good goals that fullfill our team's purpose in the bigger structure, then direct the team towards that goal. I provide planning and evaluation of team's progress, inspiration, cohesion with the team and clear structure with lots of individual freedoms.

Look for any tasks that the subordinate would wish to be done for them. These are mostly found from areas that require planning, structure, decision making, but also setting up tools and other resources.

I really don't know if there's a one person. One book exemplifies many of the ideas I hold valuable: Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

I like to think myself as a pretty capable person, so I'd rather be treated respectfully and given a lot of freedoms. I like to be given attainable goals and a minimum of restrictions in how to do it. I have problems with leaders who micromanage me, try to influence me emotionally, who seek too much of my time and those who plan sloppily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Hey guys!

This thread is dedicate to all things leadership related. As open-ended as that is, here are some prompts if you'd like some:

How do YOU lead?

Post cool videos or articles (or recommendations) about leadership.

Open season. Sorry if this thread already exists, I didn't find any threads, but I am awful with the search function.
    I am comfortable with leadership, as long as it isn't some sort of routine bureaucratic type of work. I would have to be on my feet and take an active role in all of the happenings. I like problem solving and trouble shooting. I prefer isolation, but if I am working with intelligent, motivated people who share my interest in problem solving, team work can be okay.

I tend to lead by delegating and putting a lot of trust into others' abilities and talents. If someone else can do something better than me, there is no sense in me standing behind their back the whole time. I'd say I'm more Picard or Spock than I am Kirk or Janeway.

I actually learned about leadership from watching my ESFJ dad. Totally different types and styles of leadership, but he's got a knack for ending up in leadership roles without even trying.

I most enjoy leaders who will trust me to do the job and not feel a need to "backseat drive" and micromanage every little task I do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Leadership is about loving your subordinates, and loving them correctly.

That means disciplining them when they're bad, taking things away when they feel entitled, pointing out their weaknesses and helping them get stronger, and listening to what they have to say and giving them respect and treating them like responsible adults.

Bad leadership is when you micromanage, you shout at your subordinates, you use punishment as the motivation to get what you want, and the second you assert your rank is the second you have lost all of their respect.

I was in the military. it was absolutely infuriating to me to watch people talk about "leadership techniques."

Anytime someone uses something other than love, they are a bad leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    Leadership is about loving your subordinates, and loving them correctly.

That means disciplining them when they're bad, taking things away when they feel entitled, pointing out their weaknesses and helping them get stronger, and listening to what they have to say and giving them respect and treating them like responsible adults.

Bad leadership is when you micromanage, you shout at your subordinates, you use punishment as the motivation to get what you want, and the second you assert your rank is the second you have lost all of their respect.
    this