User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: for school which is better netbook or tablet with a keyboard?

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

Default for school which is better netbook or tablet with a keyboard?

I've started back at school, and having a hard time taking notes as after about 5 lines of writing my hand and wrist hurts really bad, so when I'm studying I take notes on my laptop in word, which helps. But it's really too big to take to class and I want something small, any suggestions.
    by @magpie

LadyLazarus

If portability is your primary concern, I suggest going with a tablet with a keyboard.

garbage

I have a Surface Pro 2 with a hard keyboard that can be attached to it. It's bitchin'. It's great for notes, since I can type stuff up and use a touch screen / hand write when I want.

I'm sure that some other tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard would work well, too.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    I have a Surface Pro 2 with a hard keyboard that can be attached to it. It's bitchin'. It's great for notes, since I can type stuff up and use a touch screen / hand write when I want.

it's also over a thousand dollars. I can't afford that, and I doubt I can convince my parents to spend that much, they're willing to get something with the idea that i won't get an actual b-day gift but I don't think they'll be willing to spend a thousand dollars
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post

just looked this up whoa it looks awsome
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

purple i'd probably just get something like this...tho it might feel redundant since you have a laptop.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...cpc&origin=pla
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    purple i'd probably just get something like this...tho it might feel redundant since you have a laptop.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...cpc&origin=pla
    that's a possibility my computer is over 3 years old, but it still runs great, minus the fact sometimes the sound goes out, and the battery needs to be replaced.
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    that's a possibility my computer is over 3 years old, but it still runs great, minus the fact sometimes the sound goes out, and the battery needs to be replaced.
    it's a good one and super light and easy to throw in your bag. not much more then a kindle fire but more features you might want for school.

i bought one for my son. he throws it in his bag. it's lighter then his books.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    it's a good one and super light and easy to throw in your bag. not much more then a kindle fire but more features you might want for school.
    yeah so I could use my main laptop for everything else, and just use that one for class
    by @magpie

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Kids these days...back in my day we lugged full size laptops to class and liked it, goddammit.*

I still really like my netbook which I bought 2 years ago before tablets got really popular. (Samsung NF210 I think, obviously a bit outdated by now although mine still runs great). It's really only useful for typing stuff, looking stuff up online, and playing movies/tv/music, which is great because that's why I bought it (i.e. travel). It has a tablet-sized screen, easily fits in my purse, still gets 6-10h battery life (depending how demanding I am) even after 2 years, and is light enough that it isn't annoying to carry around even in a purse all day.

If I had to replace it today I'd probably buy either another netbook or a tablet with a good quality physical keyboard uh...attachment? I've seen a few people using ones that look pretty equivalent to the netbook keyboard and would presumably be lighter and a little easier to take out and use, which is always good. In my 5+ years of typing notes on various computers, the things I found most important were BATTERY LIFE distantly followed by weight, reliable brand, comfortable keyboard, etc. If your battery life sucks your computer is useless regardless of its millions of amazing features.

Oh also...do tablets have USB drives? No, I think?? I use the ones on my netbook ALL the time, mostly for charging my ipod but also for loading stuff onto it (movies, schoolwork, etc). I'd really hesitate to get rid of it, although clearly lots of people manage just fine without them. So think about whether that's important to you.

*I'm pretty sure we are close to the same age, actually. lol.
    -end of thread-