• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Average IQ and Competence

G

Glycerine

So if a person falls within the average range of IQ, would they still be able to excel in higher level positions or would he or she be setting himself or herself up for failure?

For example, I have always dreamed of getting a PhD in psychology but I am pretty sure that I would test well into the average range of IQ. I can grasp complex concepts easily and apply them to other areas quite readily but "abstract pattern recognition" seems to be a weakness of mine (which most IQ tests and assessments seem to measure).

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
As someone with a fairly high IQ but abysmal study skills I say go for it--IQ is a small factor in success.

Besides, you seem intelligent from here. I wouldn't let a test score (especially an imagined one) limit you.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey Glycerine :heart:

I think in the early stages IQ can help propel you forward. But beyond that, I think success has a lot more to do with determination, perseverance, dedication, and consistency. And a pinch of luck in terms of right place and right time.

Plus... the only thing IQ really measures... is IQ. There are so many more important skills that IQ doesn't even begin to cover.

Pursue your dream! :)

á´…eparted

passages
IQ means something, but it depends on the person.

My mom has an IQ of 145, and 4 years ago, I had to explain to convince force her to accept her that sea salt does not contain less sodium than table salt, and that salt is salt and you can not change it no matter what. That took 20 minutes to do... So yeah.

Just cause you have a high IQ, doesn't mean you'll be "smart" or "logical".

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I seriously doubt you have an average IQ, but people of average IQ seem able to do well in pretty much any field (unless it's something like professional chess, which requires an absurd brain processing power).

Check that graph:

iq-by-profession1.jpg

R

Riva

Average iq is between 120 to 130 right?

I have something in that range.
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Average iq is between 120 to 130 right?

I have something in that range.
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]
Average IQ is supposed to be 100

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
George Bush senior only tested 98, whereas junior got 121 on a test. In terms of competency junior failed catastrophically. I'm too lazy to look for a source right now.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ha I remember taking an IQ test as a child, ( admittedly it's a different standard for children), because I was playing up in class and being disruptive, violent and just uncooperative and my mum in particular was convinced that it was because I was highly intelligent and being bored by the level of work.

So they had the school psychologist take a look. l have to laugh even now at the look on my mum's face when my IQ score came back around 96. Shattered some delusions I can tell you, but that score helped a great deal since there now wasn't the same amount of expectation that I would go to higher education and achieve a degree in something and then end up earning megabucks as some top.... whatever of my field.

Nowadays I largely find competence is something that come as a matter of patience and persistence. There are differences in how quickly a person picks something up of course, but most jobs can be performed with a decent level of ability if the effort is put in.

G

Glycerine

Ha I remember taking an IQ test as a child, ( admittedly it's a different standard for children), because I was playing up in class and being disruptive, violent and just uncooperative and my mum in particular was convinced that it was because I was highly intelligent and being bored by the level of work.

So they had the school psychologist take a look. l have to laugh even now at the look on my mum's face when my IQ score came back around 96. Shattered some delusions I can tell you, but that score helped a great deal since there now wasn't the same amount of expectation that I would go to higher education and achieve a degree in something and then end up earning megabucks as some top.... whatever of my field.

Nowadays I largely find competence is something that come as a matter of patience and persistence. There are differences in how quickly a person picks something up of course, but most jobs can be performed with a decent level of ability if the effort is put in.
Why no "higher education"? I excelled in undergrad and most likely going to get a potentially lucrative job regardless of my IQ.

In all seriousness, does that mean I am delusional about myself? :huh:

The weird thing I tend to get mediocre scores on standardized assessments... I don't get it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Why no "higher education"? I excelled in undergrad and most likely going to get a potentially lucrative job regardless of my IQ.

In all seriousness, does that mean I am delusional about myself? :huh:

The weird thing I tend to get mediocre scores on standardized assessments... I don't get it.

Well I wasn't interested in higher education. I couldn't see a future in it for myself, regardless of how others benefited from it. I didn't have a clear enough goal to justify the investment, either with time or money.

I did try 6th form and I just couldn't get along with either the people or the subjects and I spent 4 years being miserable and generating a reputation for being a moody moron. Maybe it could have been different elsewhere...but that's irrelevant now, since it isn't elsewhere and I'm still not any more engaged by the subjects available.

Not to denigrate those subjects either; many are admirable, but I accept my lack of interest, (or more likely ability to understand), in them.

I'm not sure I can comment on your 'self-delusion' I would say not, but that's mainly up to you.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think in the early stages IQ can help propel you forward. But beyond that, I think success has a lot more to do with determination, perseverance, dedication, and consistency. And a pinch of luck in terms of right place and right time.

I think this is pretty true.

Plus, once ones' IQ gets in the super high range, I think that it starts to result in more debilitative effects, in terms of getting on happily in the world and workplace. So: I think Average to Above Average is just fine for excelling in the working world, in almost all professions. Way Above Average starts causing troubles methinks (i.e. inability to interact well/easily with others, which directly translates into ease of excelling in work force/ fitting in, 'stupid' in terms of common sense and being able to take care of oneself, like [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] gave an example of, and so on)

Seems like [MENTION=88]ptgatsby[/MENTION] had some stats on things along these lines years ago... but I may be wrong.

Alea_iacta_est

Read the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, it details how success is not determined by factors like intelligence, but by the dedication, perseverance, and long hours put into work. There is a nice little excerpt about the original Terman Kids and how they were monitored and expected to be the people shaping the next generation when in fact absolutely none of them achieved anything incredible in their lives.

Typically the healthiest IQ score that guarantees above average problem solving skills (which is all IQ measures, it does not achieve its goal of measuring g accurately) along with mental and emotional stability and a healthy drive for success is somewhere between 125 and 135. It doesn't really make that much of a difference either, since IQ doesn't measure g and essentially tells you how well you can complete IQ tests (that's about it, and in this regard it is exactly like the SAT).

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh, there are plenty of people of average intelligence in positions of power and plenty of geniuses working at coffee shops or begging for change on the streets. It's all about motivation and opportunities IMO.

G

Glycerine

I tend to get avg on that one too. I rushed through it and got 96. But I don't really care because I know that I will succeed at what I want to do.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think people of average IQ might actually be more competent than some one with above average intelligence depending on what the job is. However, with acquisition of a PhD what you need to ask yourself is not what is my IQ but do I love academics. Academia is its own little world. A plastic surgeon I know told me it's possible to become a doctor as long as you are good at taking tests and willing to go without sleep. A PhD in Psych on the other hand requires extensive research and being published, and probably playing academic politics. I know of more than one person who attempted suicide in grad school.

So consider carefully if you want to be an academic, first and foremost, and what that entails.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
George Bush senior only tested 98, whereas junior got 121 on a test. In terms of competency junior failed catastrophically. I'm too lazy to look for a source right now.

Whatever the Bushies speculative IQs, Sr. was a more truly conservative old school conservative, probably ISTJ and well suited to quiet serious responsibility.

Jr on the other hand was a neo con flashy spoiled brat with the charm of a politician, but lacking in the integrity of the Republican party which has just been raped and pillaged by a bunch of narcissistic entitled corporate pigs who secure the vote of the ignorant masses by using false religion as a red herring. Jr had substance abuse issues too. However, I don't know that I can blame his being an ESTP since Reagan and Clinton were both ESFP and Kennedy ESTP.

I think Jr was just a cocky cokehead jerk overgrown frat boy.