User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default What's a comfortable salary?

What's a comfortable salary for a single man that lives in the City? Rural? Suburb?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

It really depends on where you live. Google CNN Cost of Living Calculator for help.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think this is a pretty good calculator. Seems pretty accurate for my area and family, at least.

Edit: It assumes you have a kid, so it might not be that great for a lot of folks here. Sorry.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It depends on HOW you live and how you WANT to live.

For me, I started living extremely frugal.. and now, even if I had more money, I wouldn't go back and I'd still keep these habits. I feel better with them, and they make my life a happier, more humble place.

I've lived on my own in the city of Houston, TX for around $1,000 a month. That was a meager salary with no room for mistakes. I also had an emergency fund (which I ended up needing when my car was stolen and wrecked I still miss that car so much, it was such a POS) to catch me if I totally fell. I had my health insurance being paid for by my parents, and sometimes my neighbor gave me food to help me out. But I could live on that. I could have lived more comfortably on that knowing what I know now, but I was young then.

Wall of text:

Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

My uneducated guess for my area would be 50K. I could live very comfortably on that, but I'm used to a lot less. Comfort's relative.

edit: cafe!a calculator says 61k if i had a kid, so pretty close.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

To be comfortable, I'd say at least $25K most places. The poverty line for one person in the US is between about $12K and $15K depending on where you live. Anything up to 200% of the poverty line is considered low-income, so that would be a reasonable bottom number. It also depends on your age. Healthcare is more of a big deal the older you get and it's not cheap.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think this is a pretty good calculator. Seems pretty accurate for my area and family, at least.

Edit: It assumes you have a kid, so it might not be that great for a lot of folks here. Sorry.
    that was cool to look at. interesting that when you added a parent. like 2 instead of one the household income only jumped up like 5k

but also the housing price total was waaay low.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

At this point I want to be able to afford to take care of myself so-dishwasher, Kitchen, Dryer etc Have a mattress, 1 bathroom, Entertainment Room (Home Entertainment system, Table Games), Bar, A Mitsubishi Lancer Evo for transportation and to be able to go Laser Tagging on a weekly basis. Outside of that food, Clothes (Zumiez for casual, Armani for work) Gym Membership, so would that be around $80,000-100,000?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't know....

I don't know almost anyone who makes $56k a year, and that's what it says is comfortable for 2 parents and 1 child. And I know people who live pretty comfortably--though I don't know anyone completely worry free bill-wise.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that was cool to look at. interesting that when you added a parent. like 2 instead of one the household income only jumped up like 5k

but also the housing price total was waaay low.
    I thought so too and we don't even have a mortgage. Utilities are just high or something. But we don't have childcare, so it evens out. Transportation seemed low to me. We pay less, but our vehicles are paid off. Most people have car payments.
    ~ John Rogers