• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's a comfortable salary?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
To make a (really) long story short .. I've edited this piece of text over and over again, written paragraphs and then deleted them.

For me, future prospects are more important than current salary. 10 years ago I earned 20k a year but it took all my time. Now my jobs earn 20k a year with 25% of my working hours invested. The rest of the time goes to improving my career opportunities. I think my current situation is immensely better, even though my earnings are the same.

So, what's a comfortable salary for me? When is a job good enough that I would skip career advancement opportunities in favor of current job? Probably near 70k a year. What's a salary I can live with (at least for a time)? Probably near 20k a year. (euros).

*edit*: I'm always thinking about my current hourly wage, how much I can have of it and how it compares to career advancement opportunities. I'm almost tempted to start earning 70k a year now, just by skipping school and taking more work. I'm just afraid it would be temporary. So I think I should continue to increase the value of my work before I stop educating myself. This has been a tired post by a tired person so it's not entirely accurate, but it's accurate enough.

*edit2* I won't get enough hours/month to make 70k now, so it's a non-issue.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
id be happy with 150,000/annum.

in Seattle, everything is expensive, and rents are going up all the time. we have a high per capita income here, so goods, services, rents follow suit.

NYC is absolutely over the top, but you can make more money there. i . made around 40% more when i lived there...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only really comfortable salary is being in a position where you don't need to have one.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
It depends on expenses. Some people struggle with $70,000, mainly because they have expensive tastes. If you are a person that likes the newest of cars, cell phones, computers, or other pricey items, you'll find that $70,000 may not leave you with much at all. You can make millions per year and still go bankrupt this way, as a lot of musicians and actors have.

I strongly recommend using paycheckcity.com. It's important to know your net. If you are looking for a job, get an idea of what the average salary is. Then assume you will make the lowest of the average and overestimate your bills. At worst, in this situation, you will have more money than you expected.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've learned to live with 1.3k eur / month if I live alone, or 1k eur/month while married. We both come from a background with both decent salaries at other times and living on welfare / unemployment benefits at other times.

So, 1250eur/month budjet for living alone:
700eur rent, inc. water
70eur travel expenses in the city
20eur travel outside the city
100eur for basic food
100eur for bars, restaurants once in a while, plus other alcohol
50 eur electricity
25 eur internet
15 eur phone
40 eur interest on loan
50 eur on electronics/other devices
20 eur on clothes
50 eur for books, games, cd, dvd, web hosting etc other media
10 eur for medicine

This kind of budjet allowed me to live just ok, continue my studies (education fees were nonexistent), have a nice social life, meet my basic needs and have some entertainment.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
To make a (really) long story short .. I've edited this piece of text over and over again, written paragraphs and then deleted them.

For me, future prospects are more important than current salary. 10 years ago I earned 20k a year but it took all my time. Now my jobs earn 20k a year with 25% of my working hours invested. The rest of the time goes to improving my career opportunities. I think my current situation is immensely better, even though my earnings are the same.

So, what's a comfortable salary for me? When is a job good enough that I would skip career advancement opportunities in favor of current job? Probably near 70k a year. What's a salary I can live with (at least for a time)? Probably near 20k a year. (euros).

*edit*: I'm always thinking about my current hourly wage, how much I can have of it and how it compares to career advancement opportunities. I'm almost tempted to start earning 70k a year now, just by skipping school and taking more work. I'm just afraid it would be temporary. So I think I should continue to increase the value of my work before I stop educating myself. This has been a tired post by a tired person so it's not entirely accurate, but it's accurate enough.

*edit2* I won't get enough hours/month to make 70k now, so it's a non-issue.

That's basically how I think about the issue, too.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me by myself, 50K would get the job done.

I wouldn't consider myself comfortable (as I define it) until I was up to 100k.

Gotta love those Jacksonville property values!

QfD6qIw.png

I've come to the conclusion that I really can't NOT mention that's the first info-chart that looks like a dildo.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For a single guy, average city, let's say 30 years old, biscuit is around what I'm thinkin, 50k at least. Cities are expensive.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I live off on about 1000 euro total to live comfortably.

Appartment rent/energy, insurances, internet, phone and foods.

The rest goes to hobbies, funtimes and savings.

I have pretty low living standards. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've come to the conclusion that I really can't NOT mention that's the first info-chart that looks like a dildo.

:D

There's a reason why the circle for Detroit is so huge and its not a good one.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

It's perfect for the world of commerce and work, a constant sodomisation of the soul.

I live off on about 1000 euro total to live comfortably.

Appartment rent/energy, insurances, internet, phone and foods.

The rest goes to hobbies, funtimes and savings.

I have pretty low living standards. :D

That's the way I pretty much want to do it, once I get a consistent job.

Yvan

MBTI Type
ENFP
As for me it's not about salary, but about expenses. Just to have enough money to eat good food, buy clothes and earn 10% per month.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMO, you need at least $100,000 a year plus benefits to live comfortably in a city.

Sunny Ghost

To be mostly comfortable: $25k. But you'll likely still have some financial issues here and there, and won't be super prepared for surprises like emergency vet visits or car malfunctions. Would have to pick and choose between what's important in your monthly expenditures, but can still feel less stress about your basic needs.

This is based off of living just outside of the Atlanta area.