User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

To make a (really) long story short .. I've edited this piece of text over and over again, written paragraphs and then deleted them.

For me, future prospects are more important than current salary. 10 years ago I earned 20k a year but it took all my time. Now my jobs earn 20k a year with 25% of my working hours invested. The rest of the time goes to improving my career opportunities. I think my current situation is immensely better, even though my earnings are the same.

So, what's a comfortable salary for me? When is a job good enough that I would skip career advancement opportunities in favor of current job? Probably near 70k a year. What's a salary I can live with (at least for a time)? Probably near 20k a year. (euros).

*edit*: I'm always thinking about my current hourly wage, how much I can have of it and how it compares to career advancement opportunities. I'm almost tempted to start earning 70k a year now, just by skipping school and taking more work. I'm just afraid it would be temporary. So I think I should continue to increase the value of my work before I stop educating myself. This has been a tired post by a tired person so it's not entirely accurate, but it's accurate enough.

*edit2* I won't get enough hours/month to make 70k now, so it's a non-issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

id be happy with 150,000/annum.

in Seattle, everything is expensive, and rents are going up all the time. we have a high per capita income here, so goods, services, rents follow suit.

NYC is absolutely over the top, but you can make more money there. i . made around 40% more when i lived there...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The only really comfortable salary is being in a position where you don't need to have one.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

It depends on expenses. Some people struggle with $70,000, mainly because they have expensive tastes. If you are a person that likes the newest of cars, cell phones, computers, or other pricey items, you'll find that $70,000 may not leave you with much at all. You can make millions per year and still go bankrupt this way, as a lot of musicians and actors have.

I strongly recommend using paycheckcity.com. It's important to know your net. If you are looking for a job, get an idea of what the average salary is. Then assume you will make the lowest of the average and overestimate your bills. At worst, in this situation, you will have more money than you expected.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I've learned to live with 1.3k eur / month if I live alone, or 1k eur/month while married. We both come from a background with both decent salaries at other times and living on welfare / unemployment benefits at other times.

So, 1250eur/month budjet for living alone:
    700eur rent, inc. water
    70eur travel expenses in the city
    20eur travel outside the city
    100eur for basic food
    100eur for bars, restaurants once in a while, plus other alcohol
    50 eur electricity
    25 eur internet
    15 eur phone
    40 eur interest on loan
    50 eur on electronics/other devices
    20 eur on clothes
    50 eur for books, games, cd, dvd, web hosting etc other media
    10 eur for medicine

This kind of budjet allowed me to live just ok, continue my studies (education fees were nonexistent), have a nice social life, meet my basic needs and have some entertainment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    To make a (really) long story short .. I've edited this piece of text over and over again, written paragraphs and then deleted them.

For me, future prospects are more important than current salary. 10 years ago I earned 20k a year but it took all my time. Now my jobs earn 20k a year with 25% of my working hours invested. The rest of the time goes to improving my career opportunities. I think my current situation is immensely better, even though my earnings are the same.

So, what's a comfortable salary for me? When is a job good enough that I would skip career advancement opportunities in favor of current job? Probably near 70k a year. What's a salary I can live with (at least for a time)? Probably near 20k a year. (euros).

*edit*: I'm always thinking about my current hourly wage, how much I can have of it and how it compares to career advancement opportunities. I'm almost tempted to start earning 70k a year now, just by skipping school and taking more work. I'm just afraid it would be temporary. So I think I should continue to increase the value of my work before I stop educating myself. This has been a tired post by a tired person so it's not entirely accurate, but it's accurate enough.

*edit2* I won't get enough hours/month to make 70k now, so it's a non-issue.
    That's basically how I think about the issue, too.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For me by myself, 50K would get the job done.

I wouldn't consider myself comfortable (as I define it) until I was up to 100k.

Gotta love those Jacksonville property values!

I've come to the conclusion that I really can't NOT mention that's the first info-chart that looks like a dildo.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

For a single guy, average city, let's say 30 years old, biscuit is around what I'm thinkin, 50k at least. Cities are expensive.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I live off on about 1000 euro total to live comfortably.

Appartment rent/energy, insurances, internet, phone and foods.

The rest goes to hobbies, funtimes and savings.

I have pretty low living standards.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that I really can't NOT mention that's the first info-chart that looks like a dildo.

There's a reason why the circle for Detroit is so huge and its not a good one.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne