• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've decided to learn russian

S

Sniffles

Hey you!:hug: И јас сакам да научам руски!:)

Привет! :bye: Очень приятно. Давайте говорить по-русски! :hug:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Oh it crams more than just the endings of the verb. Almost every other word in the sentence besides the subject gets altered. And the endings of certain cases are almost identical.

Problem I have is being genuinely immersed in the language. Russian isn't exactly widely spoken this side of the Atlantic(unless you're in the Chicago area), and listening to it on the internet(while helpful) isn't entirely the same.

У меня есть преимущество над вами: моя жена русская! Каждый день я вынужден слышать по-русски.

Где Эдгар?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
рок на!

S

Sniffles

У меня есть преимущество над вами: моя жена русская! Каждый день я вынужден слышать по-русски.
Не интересно. :rolleyes:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Не интересно. :rolleyes:

And so?

You were asking about how Russian sounds in daily life... And this question is genuine: there are some languages that you can't possibly learn if you're not immersed, if you do not learn to hear how the words are really pronounced. And this is especially true for Slavic languages, where many words are written with a lot of consonants or letters that are, in fact not clearly pronounced.

Many very common Russian words should require in fact that you hear them before you discover how they are written.
Take for instance: Здравствуйте! Or the simple пожалуйста! You have to pronounce them in one second,with just two quick syllables plus a little ending.

Thus, I have to admit that without somebody speaking to you in Russian every day, I do not know how you could really learn it. Once you're familiar with the way this language sounds, it can become fairly easy to learn (and that includes the grammar). But else... it's just masochism, a kind of self-inflicted torture.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm learning French and Japanese (eventually), not Russian, but here are things I found useful:

- Live Mocha. I liked the old set up WAY WAY more, but since they're partnered up with Rosetta stone, they have a bunch of free stuff accessible to them.
- Duolingo. I found out about this from [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], and its a really fun thing to use. It's a bit picky, but its also free and you can use it on your phone.
- Yabla .. It's a website that has several languages on it, and while I don't pay for any of their videos, they have a demo video and they send you email updates sometimes with free lessons that are also on the site. so they'll explain something through a song, or a concept of how to use "Toujour vs encore" .. it's great, and infrequent.
- About.com .. The Japanese section AND the French section are both extremely useful and great free resources and they have a lot of in detail explanations.
- The 10 minutes a day books. They're very childish, which is okay with me, but more importantly they have awesome stickers. So you can literally stick stickers on things and read them every time you walk by them. So for the free version: you can look something up, write a notecard with the word on it, and tape it to the item, like the lamp or the fridge.
- thelocal.fr is a news website with French related material.. I'm sure someone somewhere has a website of English translated Russian stuff.. It's useful because they do all kinds of articles like "10 untranslatable concepts in French" and explain the idioms in English.

Principles I am currently using:
- I converted all of my cuss words to French. At least significantly less people will understand what it means, since I can't stop cussing at all. :laugh:
- Look up the 10 most commonly used verbs, and start working with them. You can create a LOT of sentences if you can say the very, very basics. Nouns come with practice, but verbs will get you practicing them more.
- Meet-up with native speakers. If at all possible. I go to French meet-up groups and I love listening to them speak fluently. I don't understand anything, but I'm okay with that. I just want to listen.