User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    English contains far more words than any other language and continues to grow and is uniquely supple. The perfect language for poetry
    What hubris!!!

This is just your own personal diatribe: that because of the number of words contained within a language, that language, therefore, is innately superior in terms of range of expression and/or nuances of expression.

What about German? That create new compound words?

I would counter that it has far greater depth in expressing a sentiment, than English, where English words fail in having an equivalent to capture the essence of that expression.

A simple expression: Ich liebe dich (I love you)
    Often reciprocated with: Ich dich auch (literally translated in English as: "I you too", or you would simply translate it in English as, "Me, too.")

But, ask any native German speaker, "Me, too", fails to truly capture the essence and nuance of the meaning of "Ich dich auch", when attempting to translate in English.

And this phenomenon is not just in the German language, but other languages too, where translation into English fails to capture the nuance and essence of its meaning/intent.

Thus, it stands to contradict your assumption, that more words, does not, therefore, more range of expressions make.

English contains far more words than any other language and continues to grow and is uniquely supple. The perfect language for poetry.

Here, some fine quality poetry, with some of the newest addition to the Oxford dictionary (bolded words):

Srsly,

Mole be twerking for some gherkin,

Ass up, hands on the floor.

*the crow goes wild*

No need of FOMO,

There be selfies galore.

Srsly.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    864 sx/so

I'm considering learning a language. It's something I've wanted to do, and with the resources online and at the library, I should be able to pick up basic skills.

I'm still deciding between Russian, Finnish, German, and Mandarin. German would be easier to teach myself, I think. They even have bilingual English/German readers at my library.

Sniffles

Почему вы хотите говорить по-русски? Это очень трудно учиться. Но, не пуха, ни пера!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Почему вы хотите говорить по-русски? Это очень трудно учиться. Но, не пуха, ни пера!
    I'm only 3 days in, i'll respond to this when I feel more confident. I'll find people to talk to when I can form complete sentences. I am begining to recongize seperate words when it's spoken, just don't know what most of them mean. I'll get there.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm only 3 days in, i'll respond to this when I feel more confident. I'll find people to talk to when I can form complete sentences. I am begining to recongize seperate words when it's spoken, just don't know what most of them mean. I'll get there.
    Вам нужна помощь?

Default Perceptive English

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    What hubris!!!
    It's true, I belong to the Anglosphere, the sphere of English that envelopes the world.

English has no peer.

English knows no nationality.

English is everything from science to fashion.

We perceive by making distinctions, and the more distinctions, the more we see.

Each English word is a distinction, and there are one million, twenty-five thousand, one hundred and ten distinctions in English, with a new distinction created every ninty-eight minutes.

So English enables us to perceive more than any other language.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It's true, I belong to the Anglosphere, the sphere of English that envelopes the world.

English has no peer.

English knows no nationality.

English is everything from science to fashion.

We perceive by making distinctions, and the more distinctions, the more we see.

Each English word is a distinction, and there are one million, twenty-five thousand, one hundred and ten distinctions in English, with a new distinction created every ninty-eight minutes.

So English enables us to perceive more than any other language.
    Yes, yes, lingua franca, and all that jazz.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    Yes, yes, lingua franca, and all that jazz.
    It's not just it's the lingua franca, it is that English contains many, many more distinctions (ie many, many more words) than any other language. And the difference is enormous.

So it is a question of epistemology.

Epistemology is our way of perceiving. And English enables us to perceive far more than any other language.

The danger for native speakers of English is that we take English for granted, and so we are blind to the riches and possibilities of English.

And it is plain that for most of the native speakers of English here, the main challenge is to learn to speak and write and and etext English.

Who would have guessed?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You speak Russian and you're INFJ 4w5 sp/so. Are you Dostoevsky reincarnated?
    4w5-9w1-5w4