451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I do.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

^That's not surprising.

I don't have kids so no, but if I did the answer would still be no. There are few private schools here and most are either for students with special needs or for students whose parents' are bible-thumpers. Even if I had the money for a private school that was more of a 'prep' school I would be hard-pressed to send my kid there. I'd rather my hypothetical kids learn how to relate with normal human beings from different backgrounds and who hold different views than the alternative.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't have kids, but I was homeschooled.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by autumnandtherain View Post
    I was homeschooled.
    Did you like it, or do you wish you went to regular school?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    Did you like it, or do you wish you went to regular school?
    Well, I was always homeschooled, so I don't even know if I would have liked regular school or not. I liked homeschooling enough though. I liked that I had the freedom to do things like travel with family during the off-season, pick extracurriculars to study that I was very interested in, get a job at 16 and work mornings, etc. In middle school I thought I might like to try public school but mom reminded me that I'd have to give those things up, so I decided to continue to be homeschooled. Looking back, I think it was a good decision. I wasn't anti-social, but I wasn't with thousands of other kids every day so I learned who I was at a very young age, and spoke with adults more than kids my own age, and was often told I was very mature for my age.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Don't have kids, but I was home schooled all my life.

It has pros and cons, but I don't regret it. I think I would be a different person had I gone to public school, but while there are admittedly also pros and cons to that, I think the things I like about myself would have been hit a lot harder than the things I don't like about myself.

I cannot recommend it because it is extremely dependent on the parents; their commitment, methods, knowledge, and desired outcomes.

Related to that:

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I'd rather my hypothetical kids learn how to relate with normal human beings from different backgrounds and who hold different views than the alternative.
    This is what may or may not happen depending on the parents. I am no socialite, but I will declare the conceit that I am more open to diversity and more capable of putting myself in someone else's shoes than the great majority of people who go to public school. However, being home schooled, my mother had tried to look into any sort of community support or networking for home schooling, and what we found where tons of religious zealots whose primary intentions were to make their kids single-minded devotees to the faith and its so-called values.

Me on the other hand, my dad largely wasn't involved, which left just my mom, who is of an incredibly nebulous and indecisive sort of personality. She went to further extents to warn me against conclusions than to actually tell me right from wrong. I happened to have the benefit of also being in a house jam packed with books and being of that first generation to really make use of the internet.

So it really depends on the parents, and I should also add that it depends on what kind of peer groups the children spend their time with.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Nope. But if I have kids in the future I think I might want to have them part home-schooled, if that's possible.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I was homeschooled for Grades 7-9 because we wanted to travel, and I had too many after school activities I wanted to fit into my day. I also attended public and independent schools. Those homeschool years were excellent. Since then, I've seen both excellent and abysmal instances of homeschooling and of public school (I am a teacher). I don't think HSing is for everyone, but it can be wonderful under the right circumstances.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've sort of done it. I'm not really great at routines, but most of my kids would have to be locked into a soundproofed, dark closet to be kept from learning. Of course that can leave them really unbalanced. They've all managed to adapt pretty well to public school and that is probably where they will stay for the duration.

I think there are benefits to different kinds of schooling but I'm not good at homeschooling. I am too laid back and unfocused to do well at it and I am also not great at doing the social thing. People who are good at it or who have really motivated kids can do really well with it, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers