• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

At work: Feeling like I'm constantly ahead of everyone else.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Am I the only one who feels this way?

I swear...I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who is switched on and am ten steps ahead of everyone else and I'm *constantly* having to slow down and hold peoples hands.

It's frustrating!!! I feel like Walter from the Big Lebowski!

45383335.jpg

(The purpose of this post is for me to vent and see if anyone has similar frustrations, FYI)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Change job to a more challenging one.

FYI, in my experience, it's better to feel like you're constantly ahead of everyone rather than the opposite, so...enjoy it while you can:D

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Change job to a more challenging one.

I'm the co-owner of the this business and it's doing well for itself, so I'd rather not explore that avenue just yet ;)

FYI, in my experience, it's better to feel like you're constantly ahead of everyone rather than the opposite, so...enjoy it while you can:D

I know, and I agree. It's just....GAAAH!! I feel like everyone around me is half asleep and I'm on speed or something. It's not just my employee's, it's the vendors and contractors I work with. It's like, "Well...do you want to make some money OR NOT!?!? LET'S GET TO IT ALREADY!!!!"

I feel somewhat bad for my employees, they have to put up with my 1-wingish-SJ-nonsense ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Okay, then I think you should either give more money to your co-workers, or choose them more wisely :p

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Rofl. I feel like I'm ahead sometimes. I don't have that w1 thing going on though. If I'm ahead then I try to help get others caught up, and if we're all caught up then I usually kick back and I lazily dabble at something and have pleasant conversations.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
bb9b4c5d8c4ea577e55a0564139fb3875586e73ff94d840607dec2a8cdac2643.jpg

no, but really i'm a little jealous of your problem.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah, the perils of being the smartest person at the office. :laugh:

I have so little experience, in my job, that I'm usually not ten steps ahead of everyone else -- however, if I were here longer, I definitely would be in the same boat. And I can't count the number of times I've wanted to yell "How have I noticed this problem after SIX MONTHS when you haven't noticed it for FIVE YEARS??" :doh:

W

WALMART

Every job I've ever had. Can't have a job where I'm not singled out for excellence. Even in class growing up.

Can you believe my highest trait on the categorical psychopath test was superiority?

Sunny Ghost

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I swear...I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who is switched on and am ten steps ahead of everyone else and I'm *constantly* having to slow down and hold peoples hands.

It's frustrating!!! I feel like Walter from the Big Lebowski!

View attachment 11112

(The purpose of this post is for me to vent and see if anyone has similar frustrations, FYI)
I always felt that way in my old job. I always moved up in rank quickly because of it.

My new job though... it's a completely new field for me, and I'm still adjusting. I'm hoping in about a year, I'll feel more competent.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the replies all! To be honest, I had forgotten I had made this thread!

Ah, the perils of being the smartest person at the office. :laugh:

I have so little experience, in my job, that I'm usually not ten steps ahead of everyone else -- however, if I were here longer, I definitely would be in the same boat. And I can't count the number of times I've wanted to yell "How have I noticed this problem after SIX MONTHS when you haven't noticed it for FIVE YEARS??" :doh:

I really shouldn't be surprised it's a fellow SJ that understands MY PAIN!! :rofl:

Oh man, my Dad (who is my broker) is an ENFP and he's the best guy in the world but he is *FUCKING* terrible with paperwork and remembering stuff. I've been doing this for almost 6 years, been in the industry itself for 10 now, and he's been doing this for 40 years.

FORTY...FUCKING...YEARS.

This man has been doing this longer than I have been drawing breath on this earth and I'm having to educate this man on the finer points of time management!! I mean, SERIOUSLY?!?! After 40 years, you should be running CIRCLES around me, you should be kicking my ass up and down the office and daring me to do so well!

Of course, then I realized how he was able to be so successful: My mother, who he has always worked with, is an IxFJ and does all the book keeping/paperwork. He's the show pony and she's the one who keeps everything together.

And now I've found myself in that role :laugh:

Create incentives for more speedy work (money is not the only one).

I just came across this site: http://www.officevibe.com/

Seemed relevant.

Awesome link, thanks!

And it's something I know I'm going to have to work on. Right now I'm not the "boss" (in spite of the fact that I technically am their boss) so this isn't something I have to work for but it's something I'm keeping in mind.

What do you do for work ?

I am the co-owner of a small, family owned rental management and CAM firm. We have a total of about 7 people working for the company (Me, my parents, my brother, our office manager, and a husband/wife team we've known for decades)

Every job I've ever had. Can't have a job where I'm not singled out for excellence. Even in class growing up.

Can you believe my highest trait on the categorical psychopath test was superiority?

Ha! I'd love to see where I fell on such a scale.

I always felt that way in my old job. I always moved up in rank quickly because of it.

My new job though... it's a completely new field for me, and I'm still adjusting. I'm hoping in about a year, I'll feel more competent.

I can see that, and I'm sure you'll kick ass.

Again, thanks for the replies all. I didn't mean to come off as sound ungrateful to my team, they're a terrific bunch and they suffer my merciless perfectionism well :rofl1:. I just feel like I have an ass load of drive and I take a great deal of pride in the company I know I'm going to inherit one day so it's very important that we be the best that we can be. I don't want to just do my job, I want to KICK ASS at it, and it drives me crazy when everyone around me is switched off. It's like.....HURRY THE FUCK UP!

I'm going to be a bitching old man when I get to retirement age :laugh:

Sunny Ghost

Again, thanks for the replies all. I didn't mean to come off as sound ungrateful to my team, they're a terrific bunch and they suffer my merciless perfectionism well :rofl1:. I just feel like I have an ass load of drive and I take a great deal of pride in the company I know I'm going to inherit one day so it's very important that we be the best that we can be. I don't want to just do my job, I want to KICK ASS at it, and it drives me crazy when everyone around me is switched off. It's like.....HURRY THE FUCK UP!

I'm going to be a bitching old man when I get to retirement age :laugh:
I didn't think you sounded ungrateful. You sound like me. (At least how I often thought at my old job/field.) I tend to be a perfectionist in the workplace, too. My goal is to be competent enough that I feel like everyone else is dragging behind me. :D:alttongue:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=8485]tinker683[/MENTION] , I figure probably most people assume that they're in that position, walking around thinking, "Why am I the only one who gets it?" Most people probably think they're "on the ball." :alttongue: