• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Going traveling (need input).

momoness

Hi all,
I plan to travel around Asia for the next one year before I head to grad school or settle into more formal employment. Working in corporations and a corporation-like NGO for the past three years has zapped my energy. On top of that, I have depression. Now, I understand that I am losing my youth. I am a writer and public policy/lobbyist by profession, and would like nothing more to exercise my skills in a nurturing environment. Alas, this is not the case, so I am going traveling.

I plan to head to Myanmar during the water festival in April. That will take up just USD 300 (which is still a lot, considering this is half the average salary of a fresh entrant with a university degree). At this point, I really would not like to commit to a full-time job (due to aforementioned depression). Do not question why I must take this trip. I must, I must.

After I head to Myanmar, I would like to make my way, perhaps to China, then to Indonesia.

So: what work should I do?

There are not a lot of freelance writing gigs available, so relying mostly on that is out of the question.

- I can work in a Subway. That will only pay me USD 200 here (I live in Malaysia) for a 4 day-week (the three-day weekend will be allocated for rest/recharging/writing freelance articles on the side). I plan to do this for two months to fund my Myanmar trip.

- Tutor English.

- For extra moolah, do a small pet grooming business.

Do suggest work that I should do.

So, to break it up for you, I am looking for work that is:

- not-too exhausting
- part-time
- pays enough to fund my trip.

All input welcome :)

-

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've known people in the past who have tutored English to get around Asia, and they didn't even need to speak the local language. I don't have any details, but I'm sure if its sought after it wouldn't be too hard to find agencies / companies who get you work.