User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

Default Looking for recommendations of interesting courses

I just got accepted to the university here and am wondering what courses to take. I don't have a particular career in mind yet - although being a professor would be great, and I think I'd be good at it (but I hear it's crazy hard to get into that world: Publish or Perish to become a professor, as they say)...So I think first year I'm just going to take different courses that are interesting, see what sticks.

My question for you guys is: are there any courses you took that you found super interesting, maybe surprisingly interesting? I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts but wouldn't mind taking some science courses. Here are some of my big interests:

- History (of the East in particular, and the history of Eastern Religions fascinates me...also the history of ancient civilizations)
    - Anatomy (a science course, but so interesting to see how the body is constructed)
    - Philosophy, Psychology
    - Nutrition

I feel like there's almost nothing I wouldn't be interested in, really. So, any suggestions for cool courses? TIA!

"So you say you're under a curse? Well so what, so's the whole damn world."

Congratulations!

There's so many possibilities, of learning and discovering! Just make sure that you buckle down and choose a stream, focus, before your 4 years run out. Otherwise, it can be an expensive learning experince without any marketable skills.

- History (of the East in particular, and the history of Eastern Religions fascinates me...also the history of ancient civilizations)
    * I really enjoyed two courses I took on Death and Dying. They dealt with the rituals surrounding death and dying in different cultures, and taps into Eastern religions
    - Philosophy
    * A good one to start off with is "Critical Thinking/Critical Reasoning" or "Introduction to Logic" - it sets the foundation
    * Courses on ethics were also highly interesting, and my particular interests led me to take many courses on Theories of Gender and Sexuality and Race Theory (this fell under Philosophy and Cultural Studies)
    - Psychology
    * Depends on what branch of psychology interests you. There's also, "Philosophy of the Mind", which is highly interesting

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

One of my favorite-ever courses was on "Ancient Non-Western Literature". Ended up being that our professor was a tiny ADHD guy obsessed with ancient China, so he regularly brought in these big ancient scrolls and read from them and taught us how to pronounce in ancient Chinese. We learned lots of ancient Chinese morals from fables.

I also really enjoyed an Anthropology course on disability. Our professor was a brilliant woman who'd had a stroke, which inspired her to create the class. It was excellent.

I feel like personally I got the most out of "holistic-y" courses that overlapped disciplines and brought together learning and enjoyment and wellbeing.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

Thanks for the suggestions!

I took a course on Death and Dying in Eastern religions a couple years ago, and loved it. Definitely something I'd like to get more into.
    And theoretical philosophy sounds like where it's at.
    As far as psychology, I'm very interested in Jung's work with dreams, the subconscious, symbols, all that stuff...
    I wonder if the school offers specific courses on MBTI or personality theory in general? That would be something I'd have to take.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    One of my favorite-ever courses was on "Ancient Non-Western Literature". Ended up being that our professor was a tiny ADHD guy obsessed with ancient China, so he regularly brought in these big ancient scrolls and read from them and taught us how to pronounce in ancient Chinese. We learned lots of ancient Chinese morals from fables.

I also really enjoyed an Anthropology course on disability. Our professor was a brilliant woman who'd had a stroke, which inspired her to create the class. It was excellent.

I feel like personally I got the most out of "holistic-y" courses that overlapped disciplines and brought together learning and enjoyment and wellbeing.

Very cool! Nothing like learning from a scroll.

Yeah - holistic courses seem to have more practical use in the real world, where you don't just learn theory, but how it applies to you and your life...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by blurry View Post
    I just got accepted to the university here and am wondering what courses to take. I don't have a particular career in mind yet - although being a professor would be great, and I think I'd be good at it (but I hear it's crazy hard to get into that world: Publish or Perish to become a professor, as they say)...So I think first year I'm just going to take different courses that are interesting, see what sticks.
    You won't do well as a professor if you don't have a specific field about which you are truly passionate. It takes that to stick with the research and writing and publishing, to establish yourself in your field and get hired.

My question for you guys is: are there any courses you took that you found super interesting, maybe surprisingly interesting? I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts but wouldn't mind taking some science courses. Here are some of my big interests:

I've always been particularly interested in India, its many cultures and languages. I had a small group seminar on music and drama in Hindu religious experience which was fascinating. We attended lots of performances as part of this. In fact, you might enjoy a comparative religions course, which dovetails with much of ancient history; or anthropology; or even folklore and mythology (think Joseph Campbell)

- Anatomy (a science course, but so interesting to see how the body is constructed)
    Can't help you here. In physical sciences, I recommend astronomy, especially if you can get observing opportunities.

- Philosophy, Psychology
    I concur with the suggestions about critical thinking/logic and ethics. Also anything that gets into the overlap of psychology and neurology (physical workings of the brain).

- Nutrition
    Here I think of the consumer aspect: the intersection of economics, science, and health; topics like organic food, genetically modified food. agribusiness, etc.
    Not sure how the ideas above map to the courses available at your university.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ

Logic. Logic. Logic. Without it, the knowledge is just jumbled garbled nonsense rattling around in your brain. Logic. Did I mention Logic? If not, I'd recommend Logic.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Take your basics. They're there to guide students in the first place (supposedly).. You KNOW you need x courses to graduate anyways.. so if you're unclear of your career path, take the most common ones first and see what you do well in.

If you didn't find ANYTHING super eye-catching out of them.. then I'd take a more practical approach to your studies and pick a career that won't leave you in debt to your eyeballs with no job. If you do, I'd lean that way. Keep in mind artsy fields like nutrition, psych, philosophy, etc. aren't really paying anyone big bucks anywhere... Don't go in debt for 20 years over a cute degree that got you a job that has a yearly salary of 1/4th of your debt each year.

If you're going in the sciences, luck to you. It's hard work, but worth it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I'm biased but acting! If your school has a good program it will intersect with all your interests, particularly history, philosophy and psychology. Also, learning history through language can be an amazing experience. I took both Japanese language and Japanese History and Culture and it was an amazingly complete perspective I feel I wouldn't have gotten if I'd just taken one without the other. So I'd definitely recommend a language course too. But mostly, go with what interests you. Go with what you love.
    Likes Xann liked this post

- Philosophy, Psychology
    - Nutrition

I feel like there's almost nothing I wouldn't be interested in, really. So, any suggestions for cool courses? TIA!
    There was a very popular selective course in my university titled History of Jazz. People would want to take it cause it was easy to pass.