User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 16 of 16

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Film and Politics. In college i took that course and it was basically learn history (which is fun for me) on Tuesday, watch a movie on Thursday. Repeat the cycle throughout the semester. Win Win.

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    my ces classes were surprisingly fun. talking about cultural problems both challenged me and changed my perspective on a lot of things...
    the seminar in criminal justice was fun too...

    also, a sex education class. trust me on that. i didn't take it, but i would have wanted to.

    and a writing course to perfect those skills.

    i've always said that if men were being honest, we'd all be women's studies majors haha

  3. #13
    Junior Member blurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Thanks for your replies! It's been a while since I've checked this post and now I've done a couple summer courses...

    I took a History of Japanese Film course, in the Asian Area Studies dept. It was killer. Watched wicked movies, talked about them, talked about Japan etc. Anyways I'm thinking about continuing into Asian Studies now, as the teacher was so good and is a large part of that program (not to mention she's pretty damn fine too.. ), and I'm really interested in Asia, specifically its religions and culture.

    Maybe I'll do an exchange and go to Japan for a semester...hmmm...how cool would that be.

    Still open to trying other things as electives however - and I haven't booked up completely for first year yet (I'm taking a lighter load at first) so any more suggestions are welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I'm biased but acting! If your school has a good program it will intersect with all your interests, particularly history, philosophy and psychology. Also, learning history through language can be an amazing experience. I took both Japanese language and Japanese History and Culture and it was an amazingly complete perspective I feel I wouldn't have gotten if I'd just taken one without the other. So I'd definitely recommend a language course too. But mostly, go with what interests you. Go with what you love.
    Funny, I went to an acting conservatory for three years before coming here, and now I'm narrowing in on Japan as well...maybe us actors are attracted by something zen in that country...

    Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    There was a very popular selective course in my university titled History of Jazz.
    Sounds great...I thought Ken Burn's Jazz was a fascinating course by itself, a uni course would be awesome.

    "So you say you're under a curse? Well so what, so's the whole damn world."


  4. #14
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurry View Post
    Thanks for your replies! It's been a while since I've checked this post and now I've done a couple summer courses...

    I took a History of Japanese Film course, in the Asian Area Studies dept. It was killer. Watched wicked movies, talked about them, talked about Japan etc. Anyways I'm thinking about continuing into Asian Studies now, as the teacher was so good and is a large part of that program (not to mention she's pretty damn fine too.. ), and I'm really interested in Asia, specifically its religions and culture.

    Maybe I'll do an exchange and go to Japan for a semester...hmmm...how cool would that be.

    Still open to trying other things as electives however - and I haven't booked up completely for first year yet (I'm taking a lighter load at first) so any more suggestions are welcome!



    Funny, I went to an acting conservatory for three years before coming here, and now I'm narrowing in on Japan as well...maybe us actors are attracted by something zen in that country...



    Sounds great...I thought Ken Burn's Jazz was a fascinating course by itself, a uni course would be awesome.
    I dropped out of normal college for acting school before I ever got far enough to do a semester in Japan. Oh, you should go. There's nothing like travelling.

    What was acting school like for you? Did you finish it or did you drop out? Do you act professionally in any capacity now?
    Likes Xann liked this post

  5. #15
    Junior Member blurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I dropped out of normal college for acting school before I ever got far enough to do a semester in Japan. Oh, you should go. There's nothing like travelling.

    What was acting school like for you? Did you finish it or did you drop out? Do you act professionally in any capacity now?
    Theatre school was the most intense, incredible, difficult, devastating, and, in the end, life-changing (in a good way) few years I can imagine. Yeah, I finished...almost got kicked out near the end though. I mean it was really tough going at times for me. But I made the best friends I could ever ask for there, and have many wonderful experiences I'll never forget.

    To be perfectly honest, I lost my marbles a bit near the end, (happens surprisingly often in theatre school), and have been kind of avoiding acting since. I still have many friends in theatre but I wonder if it's the path I wanna be on. Sometimes I think it is, sometimes not. Anyways, right now I'm happy going to school and seeing where that goes...

    What about you? Still acting?

    "So you say you're under a curse? Well so what, so's the whole damn world."


  6. #16
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurry View Post
    Theatre school was the most intense, incredible, difficult, devastating, and, in the end, life-changing (in a good way) few years I can imagine. Yeah, I finished...almost got kicked out near the end though. I mean it was really tough going at times for me. But I made the best friends I could ever ask for there, and have many wonderful experiences I'll never forget.

    To be perfectly honest, I lost my marbles a bit near the end, (happens surprisingly often in theatre school), and have been kind of avoiding acting since. I still have many friends in theatre but I wonder if it's the path I wanna be on. Sometimes I think it is, sometimes not. Anyways, right now I'm happy going to school and seeing where that goes...

    What about you? Still acting?
    I've had less experience than you but I can definitely relate. I did a two month summer intensive program last year that was supposed to mirror the first year of their regular acting program. I auditioned for the full time program and, although I'm not proud of it, not getting in nearly destroyed my confidence entirely and it's taken me a long time to recover. But I've realized that I can't sit still. I have to be acting. The pressure of it is enormous but there's nothing comparable to feeling utterly terrified and unprepared and then accomplishing something - finding you can accomplish it - just because you must. I'll be starting my first year at a different conservatory in the fall and I'm very excited but also worried that I'll become paralyzed and inhibited by my own fears. It's happened before.

    Anyway, good for you for finishing and I'm not surprised you nearly lost it by the end. Loathe as I am to advise you now in case I'm completely wrong, I've always felt with acting it's best to face whatever it is you're avoiding head on. Fear and avoidance is the antithesis of productivity. It can completely shut a person down. Although being in flux is okay. Uncertainty, pursuing other things... these are all excellent. Whatever is meant to happen will happen, though you don't need me to tell you that.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] Looking for examples of self-actualized 9s
    By burningranger in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-09-2017, 11:20 PM
  2. [INTJ] How to make the best use of the INTJ characteristics when looking for a girl friend
    By gandalf in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2015, 06:52 AM
  3. [INTP] tactics employed by intps for catching the interest of the person you like?
    By jcloudz in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM
  4. Looking for the right community to be a part of
    By Bokeh in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO