User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

It’s an addiction that damages families like those that other addictions do (although the manner of damage caused is different). Unfortunately it’s also a socially approved of addiction.
    And no, I’m not, I work to keep busy and do the best job possible, I refuse to allow anyone to bribe or force me into excessive work hours.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Well, I have a hard time not giving 110% when I'm at work. I hate the idea that I might be creating more work for someone else if I don't do enough, and I tend to want to get everything in order and finished before I leave. In that sense I could be (and have been) called a workaholic. It's a combination of feeling responsible and perfectionism, I think. But I've found it pretty easy to drop back at work now that I'm back in school, too. I think I'm pretty singularly-minded about my goals.

As for "workaholism"... I think it's healthy and honorable to care about your work, and to try to do a good job for everyone's sake, but I don't think that allowing work to eclipse all other areas of one's life is good or should be met with admiration. My mom talks about something called the "Law of Diminishing Returns", meaning that once you hit a certain point, your yield quality starts to decrease despite continuous input - in application to this situation, there's only so much quality worktime you can put in before you need to get some rest and do something else. I think it's best to keep a perspective of what your priorities are and what you're willing to sacrifice, and how to maintain a happy balance. Maybe you could decide to stay late at work one night but then the next night you could go home early and take your spouse out to a nice dinner. Whatever you choose, be aware of what you're choosing and what you're giving up.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Re: Law of Diminishing Returns, I have a poor relationship with my tolerances and get really into striving to expand them, as in competing with myself. Work is just one thing; this drive is present when I'm doing anything at all. There's good in that, but it can become harmful workaholism if it's about refusing to accept the limits of what you're made of - that is, yourself as a being with sensitivities as well as strengths. It's much more about that for me than impressing anyone.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Yes I am. I am a perfectionist. I wont stop till the job is done right. Even if it's something I hate. I am not comfortable with "good enough" most days.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Yes. Even though I have a job that isn't my career, I would never take a vacation.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No, it's rarely worth it in terms of financial rewards, and I also enjoy my freedom during my free time. I'm more about "always busy doing something in my daily life" - similar to what EJCC said.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

No. When I have a job, I can be neurotic about doing it well and about not letting anyone down, but otherwise, I mostly do the least I can and still make ends meet. But if someone does not have a lot of outside responsibilities and doesn't mind working, I don't see anything wrong with doing so. It can't hurt to have something put back for a rainy day.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Because I work from home, I have a lot of flexibility so most days, my time management is excellent and I have time for my kids and domestic stuff that needs attention but I have a problem with others thinking doing just enough is good enough. Because of that, I would rather do a lot of work related tasks myself and this creates work load issues for me sometimes. This would be far worse if I still worked in an office because I would have to see more of the - I'm just here for a paycheck and I don't give a shit- mentality.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTp

Not even close. I like to do things "right" but I am ok with taking time to get there. Most deadlines are artificial (although corporate SJs obsess over them and actually prefer shit quality over lateness).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I hate work....just a great fat lie of living in a world of currency and trade.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.