User Tag List

12 Last

Default The Start Up of You

Although, this has been around for a while, I feel like right now the concepts espoused are more relevant than ever before.

http://www.thestartupofyou.com/

The basic idea is that all humans are entrepreneurs and that we should strive to adapt and create competitive advantages by developing our networks. Networking is something I did not take very seriously early in my career, but I am realizing now that this may be the most important skill for success of all.

Thoughts?
    ------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PF3zSo9jFuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFeRzxCpfvM

A visual summary:
    http://www.slideshare.net/reidhoffma...visual-summary

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It's important to establish connections for spreading information. The historical evidence suggests that when we do transmit what we know globally, progress moves much faster and more effectively. As such, it's good I think for us to accept every promising human perspective, as they each come together to form the great world system. That's how systems work I believe, is that there's different parts with various functions all coming together and producing our living simulation.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

The basic idea is that all humans are entrepreneurs and that we should strive to adapt and create competitive advantages by developing our networks. Networking is something I did not take very seriously early in my career, but I am realizing now that this may be the most important skill for success of all.
    I was in a talk about millennials the other day and we talked about this a fair bit. Paraphrasing, the line that stuck with me the most was "millenials don't have job security, they have network security". I grew up in the inbetween. It's only recent that the social tools have created a strong social network framework, but job security decreased rapidly. Of course, there was another talk when I first joined the company I was at - all the new hires were sitting around and we heard about how the company was progressive and using linkedin and so forth to hire. The 20 or so of us in the room... well, not one of us had been hired through linked in or any other social system. Jury's still out for me, hah hah.

My opinion is that this is adaptive behavior, not progressive. Those who want to have work to do - who are essentially desperately trying to make work and find the motivation to do it - are being pressured into this mindset. I wouldn't call it good or uplifting though. I see it as desperation.

Doesn't mean it is a bad idea to embrace though.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Networking has always been important, for a large number of reasons: 1) a number of jobs just aren't advertised and you can't even take the opportunity if you don't know someone; 2) sometimes companies may have the budget for hiring, but don't necessarily need to fill a position and by knowing someone you can propose your own "project"; 3) you keep in touch with people you connect with, and eventually business "ideas" may come out of it.
    I'm sure there's plenty more reasons. I don't see how it's become conceptually different, except that people may have to change jobs more frequently and may thus have to "exploit" their networks to find something new much more frequently.

Said that, in an economic downturn there might just be no money going around for hiring, especially for entry-to-mid level jobs, so even having a great network won't really change anything.

(Among the 4 "decent" jobs I've had, I've found 2 through my "network" - the good thing was that people trusted me from day 1, since I had been introduced by someone they knew)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

WhoCares

I've never gotten any job via networking so I find it hard to understand why people put so much importance on it. My employer used to seek referrals for new workers from exsting ones. When management changed what they found was a company ruled by cliques with inappropriately qualified people n poitions of power making a hash of things. The networking ethos was binned and externals hired
    in preference to referrals.

It is hard for me to properly place whether I got my jobs to networking or not. I think it played a big role. But I did not spend a lot of time asking people I know if they knew people.

Perhaps there are cliques that I am unaware of. But I think most people just like assigning jobs to people they know and know have done some (similar) job before.

I got my first internship through a resume and a phone interview. I got my second internship at the same place, but doing something different. My boss during my first internship worked hard to find something similar to what I said I wanted to do. I got my first full time job through the second internship, doing the same thing at the same place. Following jobs were just consequences of promotions and reorganizations within the company.

I went back to school a couple of years ago, and my boss at the time almost managed to convince me not to go. My "soft skills" may not be the best, but people seem to want keep me around for jobs.

Also, now that I am in school, I pay the bills like many graduate students, through Teaching Assistantships. I am not entirely sure how much networking plays a role here. But the last few times I have found out early that I have appointments because some professor requested me, or I requested to be a TA for some professor (we make a list each quarter, but a direct e-mail to or from the professor has been most effective in ensuring I have a position).

I may have over emphasized networking, however. There are other aspects of "The Start Up of You" I thought were interesting: treating yourself (at least the part of you with a career) as if you were a start-up. Being in a "permanent beta", sharpening your competitive advantage in the market place, pivoting when the assumptions you made about success don't hold up, ...

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Being in a "permanent beta", sharpening your competitive advantage in the market place, pivoting when the assumptions you made about success don't hold up, ...
    I'd agree with that, sure.

But I did not spend a lot of time asking people I know if they knew people.
    It's not just that. If your friends or co-workers or "connections" work in an industry you may be working in / for, you get direct access to insider information which you can then use during an interview, and you get a picture of how things work in that company / business area even before you start working there.

Some employers even require your linkedin profile in your application, to see if you can "bring" some potentially interesting connections other than your technical skills. I'm not sure if that's a positive evolution or not, but it seems to be happening.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I've found networking to be extremely important, and despite the fact that I'm not that great at it and would rather be doing something else (something more introverted), I'm lucky that, in my line of work, my colleagues are typically even more introverted than me, so they make me look like I'm really good at networking in comparison. lol

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I agree that networking is (and honestly perhaps always has been) important, and I can think of some people for whom I think this idea would really click. Personally, I am not sure this is a format that is appealing to me or speaks to my core drives, as I prefer the realms of human service and social provision, which feel natural to me, to self-preservation and self-promotion, which tend to feel forced on my part. For me warming to networking has been about channeling genuine interest in others and shared goals, as well as creating a presence for myself as a learned and wise practitioner. But to each their own - I am happy for those for whom this strategy works well.

figsfiggyfigs

This title is so cheesy that it causes rage within me.