User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Has your career choice been worth it?

I've got a question I would like to pose to all those employed folks out there in radio land, for the benefit of all those who haven't graduated yet.

Given what you've learned since you've been out of school and working, has your Major/Career choice been worth it?

I would especially like to hear from all you folks with soft science, and humanities degrees.

I'll give my own answer once we've gotten the ball rolling.

@Zarathustra
    @Magic Poriferan
    @Redbone
    @lowtech redneck
    @chana
    @Halla74
    @MDP2525
    @whatever

ETC....

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What about you @Seymour?

I see you reading the thread.

Has your career choice been worth it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What about you @Seymour?

I see you reading the thread.

Has your career choice been worth it?
    Let's see... I majored in English, psychology and computer science. I had computer programming summer jobs during college (because they paid better). I worked in a psych hospital for a bit after college, but ended up going back to programming after running out of money.

It's certainly worked out well financially, but sometimes I wish I did something more directly meaningful for work. Conversely, though, knowing that my job isn't life-or-death keeps me from pushing myself harder than I already do (which is an issue for me). Being more emotionally tuned in than most programmers has some work benefits, even if I do sometimes feel like odd man out.

So, twenty years later I'd say programming has worked out well for me, but I sometimes regret not doing something that "makes a difference."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Let's see... I majored in English, psychology and computer science. I had computer programming summer jobs during college (because they paid better). I worked in a psych hospital for a bit after college, but ended up going back to programming after running out of money.

It's certainly worked out well financially, but sometimes I wish I did something more directly meaningful for work. Conversely, though, knowing that my job isn't life-or-death keeps me from pushing myself harder than I already do (which is an issue for me). Being more emotionally tuned in than most programmers has some work benefits, even if I do sometimes feel like odd man out.

So, twenty years later I'd say programming has worked out well for me, but I sometimes regret not doing something that "makes a difference."
    Why do you think programming doesn't make a difference?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Why do you think programming doesn't make a difference?
    I do try to make my coworkers' lives better and our customers' lives better... but I work for a megacorp (we got acquired) with dubious values at best.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I do try to make my coworkers' lives better and our customers' lives better... but I work for a megacorp (we got acquired) with dubious values at best.
    I don't see how corporate values come into it if you are making your coworkers lives easier and sending the best product you can to the customer.

It's not like the company is forcing you to waterboard Somali children or anything. Working for a company is something to be proud of.

They saw enough value in your skills to choose you over everyone else for your job, and you in turn have improved the products they produce and made it easier for your coworkers to produce them.

You do make a difference. A business difference, a difference in the marketplace. Maybe not a "We are the world" let's all hold hands and save a tree difference, but a difference that can quantified in the betterment of your coworkers and customers' lives.

And that is something to be proud of no matter how you look at it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I love teaching, but my profession has changed remarkably in the last 10 years. If I had it to over again, I may not have chosen teaching, although I can't think of anything that I would prefer especially. I do definitely regret doing my master's degree in music ed. At the very least, if I had a redo I would have done a straight masters in education.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I love teaching, but my profession has changed remarkably in the last 10 years. If I had it to over again, I may not have chosen teaching, although I can't think of anything that I would prefer especially. I do definitely regret doing my master's degree in music ed. At the very least, if I had a redo I would have done a straight masters in education.
    What has changed that would make you interested in pursuing a different path given the opportunity to do it over again?

Double edged sword. On one hand, it accorded me the luxury to retire in my thirties. On the other hand, the sheer amount of cynicism about people, the influence and corruption of power, how close to their hearts they hold money and how vicious and low they will go to attain or maintain it.

In the past I didn't regret my choice but recently, had I to restart time, either zoology or paleontology. The regret was loss of wide-eyed innocence.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Double edged sword. On one hand, it accorded me the luxury to retire in my thirties. On the other hand, the sheer amount of cynicism about people, the influence and corruption of power, how close to their hearts they hold money and how vicious and low they will go to attain or maintain it.

In the past I didn't regret my choice but recently, had I to restart time, either zoology or paleontology. The regret was loss of wide-eyed innocence.
    What career (and major) are you talking about?