User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Short answer: I'm not sure.

I got a BA with a major in English and a minor in Geology. I didn't do anything with it for the first 7 or 8 years- I was a nanny for the last year of college and continued with that family after graduation, then got married and soon thereafter had a child of my own. I really enjoyed being a SAHM. Actually, it's not quite accurate to say I was a SAHM since I did work- I just worked at home, with them. I provided childcare from the time my first child was 7 months old until my second child was about a year old. At that point, I started freelance writing/editing, and that's what I've done ever since with the exception of 18 months that I was directly employed for one of the companies I've freelanced for.

I love what I do, and I love that I can do it from home. But it's not the most lucrative career and I don't always have work, so I don't know that I could support a family by myself doing this. And I do sometimes wonder what I could have done if I hadn't started my family right away. I briefly considered med school with the intention of becoming a dermatologist (which tends to be a good medical career for people who don't want to put EVERYTHING in their career- lucrative but with opportunities for part-time and so forth). I more extensively considered pursuing a PhD in English with the intention of becoming a college professor. But all things considered, I'm glad I had my children when I was young. I had energy to run around with them, and if all goes well I'll have an empty nest by the time I'm 50.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm a computer programmer. It's a strange thing, I never really made the choice to be it, it's just kind of what I do well, so I do it. I've always been into computers. I dropped out of H.S. at 16, went to a two year technical institute and 19 years later, here I still am. I like what I do, it moves fast so I get to learn and do new things, I am in demand. I use my skills outside of work as well as inside, and they are useful for projects in all areas in life because tech is so pervasive.

I feel like what's interesting is how philosophical my skills are. Logic and problem solving are so abstract that I have trouble thinking of them as a career than as part of what I am.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Even if I could call it a career, I would say no. I stumbled into it, like *insert Lewis Carroll reference here*. However unlike *reference excerpt*, I didn't have the benefit of being born into a world I could adapt to. Why? Because one can usually find a variable system where you can bend, but sometimes a person is without flexibility, in that circumstance their only hope is to change one of the systems, but the systems are immaterial and so it takes a visionary to achieve such change, without that the one who doesn't fit has no place to be at ease.

So instead must spend time, or some equivalent, elsewhere than the world of work. But genetics aside that is the issue of the individual.

Of course I am broadly what they call young, but fortunately not for long and soon I shall be gone and buried and a more worthwhile existence shall take my place.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

With finance, for the first time, I feel like I have a career on my hands.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    With finance, for the first time, I feel like I have a career on my hands.
    You know what? Good for you biscuit.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    You know what? Good for you biscuit.
    Thank you very much.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

You know, this is really encouraging for me. As a college student, the future makes me nervous. Seeing that most of you guys strayed from your degrees is a real relief because it shows me that it's not that big a deal, your major. Just find your skills and get work for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    You know, this is really encouraging for me. As a college student, the future makes me nervous. Seeing that most of you guys strayed from your degrees is a real relief because it shows me that it's not that big a deal, your major. Just find your skills and get work for it.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    No.

A professional career isn't for everyone.
    Wave this flag high, lady. I don't know why everyone has to have the exact same path as everyone else in the world. Very annoying.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.