User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Hmm... I guess I should try a Latin based language, Portuguese. I tried, but I suck at it. Sucks when nobody talks back to you.
    portuguese is my third... there's a lot of different regional variations that are really different as well

of course mine's slipped since I moved away from anyone who speaks it as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

No, but that's largely my fault for a.) burning out of grad school and surrendering to moderate but chronic depression for a while afterward and b.) failing to address imbalances in my education (I really should have learned to type faster than I can write if I was ever going to put my degree to practical use outside of academia, and my complete and utter ineptitude with foreign languages precluded a double major in business).

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Given what you've learned since you've been out of school and working, has your Major/Career choice been worth it?
    I have an undergraduate degree in Zoology, and a graduate degree in Molecular Genetics, neither of which are related to what I do now. So in that respect, professionally, I wish that I'd chosen a different major in college -- most likely computer science, given that I do software development for a living. Practically, I find that it hasn't been an issue, except for circumstances where people want a credential (i.e., a CS degree) on a resume. As I get older, and have more experience to back me up, this matters less and less. So, major-wise, I consider my choice acceptable.

Career-wise... I waver, but not much. I do in-house application development, and most often have been in the "technical lead" sort of position. It can be aggravating, and it's not my "dream job". But not everyone can actually put food on the table playing golf, writing novels, or travelling the world. When it comes down to it, I'm very employable, make decent (not fantastic, but good) money, often work with at least some like-minded people, and what natural talents I do possess line up pretty well with the work that I do. So far anyway, my career has given me security, respect, the position to learn new things, and a reasonable likelihood of a comfortable (if definitely not extravagant) retirement 25 years down the road. Again... an acceptable choice, but I'll judge my life on what I did outside of the office, not what I did inside it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmm... I guess I should try a Latin based language, Portuguese. I tried, but I suck at it. Sucks when nobody talks back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    portuguese is my third... there's a lot of different regional variations that are really different as well

of course mine's slipped since I moved away from anyone who speaks it as well
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I would respond in portuguese if I could write in it well... unfortunately a majority of my practice has been spoken. And my spoken portuguese is mostly with a far southern Brazilian accent with a heavy dose of Midwestern english speaker layered across the top

should download some to my phone for practice though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I would respond in portuguese if I could write in it well... unfortunately a majority of my practice has been spoken. And my spoken portuguese is mostly with a far southern Brazilian accent with a heavy dose of Midwestern english speaker layered across the top

should download some to my phone for practice though
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Yes but I would've started sooner.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's too soon to tell.

I probably would have put off having kids long enough to get an undergrad degree in something, if I had it to do over again.

I don't think I would have had the energy to parent and work an outside job up until the kids were at least seven and older, though, and trying probably would have broken my marriage.

So essentially, if the kids turn out halfway decent and we're not destitute in retirement, I will consider it worth it. The kid part is looking pretty good. The retirement part is looking a bit precarious. We'll see.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Phantonym

All I can say is that the choices for my majors (all in humanities/soft science) have been worth it in the sense of personal satisfaction for doing what I felt like doing. Financially, it was beyond stupid, obviously. However, I'm not in debt, so yay for that.